New York City Just Declared War on E-Bikes

Just allow filtering and lane splitting for motorcycles, waive the requirement of a motorcycle license for those models incapable of speeds in excess of 30mph and be done with it. Delivery service would run to a moped option if it were just as fast through traffic IMO and commuters would stick to eBikes.

The current situation is the worst of both worlds.

Hmmm... "He points to a 2015 study out of the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, finding that these e-bike riders exhibited the same behaviors on the roadways as conventional cyclists."

I hate to say this (especially here), but as a former NYC resident and long-time bicyclist, this study would probably be the best reason TO ban ebikes at least in Manhattan and perhaps the other boroughs as well.

The better alternative would be to treat ebikes as regular bicycles and to actually enforce traffic laws. THAT would raise even more uproar among cyclists in NYC than a ban on ebikes.

For a bit of perspective, I grew up in Greenpoint Brooklyn many years ago - and like almost every kid at the time, I rode a bike for fun and transportation (what kid could afford fifteen cents each way for the subway or bus??) I guess I was about 12 when I happened to call home to say I wouldn't be home for lunch. My mom happened to hear some noise in the background and asked where I was calling from -- I was calling from a phone booth (remember those) at Times Square. You could do that in the age before bike messengers and generally crazy cyclists darting in and out of Manhattan's typical daytime 10mph top speed congestion.

The problem causing NYC to crack down on ebikes has almost nothing to do with the "e" -- that's just a convenience because the police can't really chase bikes in most parts of the city (I know from experience) but it is easy to identify and catch a stopped ebike.

Thanks I stand corrected. If even Stromer no longer have a throttle I guess it's time to stop thinking about a eurobike. I never use the throttle function when I'm just riding, but it has been invaluable when I have to cross a major intersection with no bike lane. Thank goodness there are still plenty of options such as Juiced Bike or Magnum.

The original V1 Stromers all had throttles now they are pedal assist.

Chris- Looks like you are putting up a good fight to keep everyone educated on this issue. It is important that everyone stays in the loop and well informed regarding the current legislation. I was not aware that many undocumented workers were using 'ebikes' to do food deliveries throughout the city congestion. This puts a whole other spin on their usage versus other cities with a lot less traffic congestion. The majority of the cycle messengers in the heart of the Chicago loop are using lightweight standard (ie: Tribe Bicycle Messenger Series Fixed Gear Single Speed Bike) for deliveries. It is a rare sighting to see any type of ebike in this city. Perhaps with a little time in the coming future, we may start seeing more. I also thought with that many ebikes circulating among typical NYC congestion, I would think that the accident rate between cyclists/motorists would be quite high, not to mention the amount of insurance claims surrounding the accident rate. Then again, if most are undocumented riders, I would think they would not file any type of accident claim whatsoever in the event of a collision. What a big mess far too complicated to address. Good Luck to everyone with the fight for ebike freedom!

Back