New Voltbike Elegant Step-through 26"x2.1"

SuperGoop

We are also planning to release another more budget friendly version step through frame which will use regular size 26x2.1" tires and rear hub 500w motor and integrated along the frame battery the same as on the Voltbike Yukon and and Voltbike Enduro.
This will come in mid April, 2017.
I look forward to this, but hope the step-through design is not too "nerdy".

I just really want a "normal" looking bike... regular tire size, non-foldable, stealthy geared hub motor, 48v, and lighter weight that is readily available to Canadians, and not too expensive. Even without suspension is fine too.

The Enduro is nice, but the geometry just doesn't look right to me. It looks a bit stretched. If you look at the chain, it looks really long. I can't find the wheelbase specs in millimeters, but it seems a bit too long. Maybe it is the full suspension. Maybe if it was a hardtail, it may look better, lighter weight, and less expensive too! Also, I am not a big fan of white strip on the tires (or is it shiny metal from the wheel?), but others may like it.

Some example of what geometry I like is the Juiced Cross Current or the Magnum Peak, but I don't need the high end components like hydraulic brakes, air shocks, etc. if that can keep the price low.

I have the Yukon 750 with over 1,000 km of trouble-free distance, and I absolutely love it. The fat tires is a love-hate relationship. I love it, but it draws too much attention, lol. Everyone is complimenting on my Yukon 750, but I just want to quietly ride the trails unnoticed.

I prefer a 48v powerful geared hub motor. I think it is less expensive, simpler and much more stealthy (compared to mid-drives).

P.S. I also don't like regenerative hub motors (like on the RadCity) because it is heavier with larger magnets, and drags on the wheel and doesn't free wheel like a normal bike. Regen is overrated, IMO. The efficiency is just too low to be effective. I'd rather coast freely than having the added drag.

Last edited:
I know exactly what you mean, no one even knows my bikes are electric but people are constantly stopping me to talk to them about the fat tires , it does get a little annoying

Update: Thanks @Voltbike for revealing a pre-release picture. I like it. I think there will still be some minor changes. There will be front and rear lights. Probably more decals as well. I believe this will be the "Voltbike Elegant" line. @Voltbike also said the price will be in the CAD$1,600 (US$1,300) range, in both black and white. I wonder how much it weighs?

yo5n5.jpg

I would just say the battery design is an important consideration for "future-proofing". I know this Voltbike battery design is new and very popular, so it should be around for a long time. For example, Juiced Bikes uses the same battery type. This design has 2 types that are not interchangeble... a long and short version. Voltbike and Juiced Bikes uses the short version.

If you bought the Urban Ryder at Costco, I wonder if the battery can be easily replaced in the future. Keep in mind that Lithium batteries are difficult to ship, so shopping online or even from the U.S. may not be an option.

In terms of quality, price and customer service, I have nothing but good things to say about Voltbike. George (the owner) has been wonderful and quick to respond. As I said, I own the Yukon 750 with over 1,000 kms on it already.

From your list, the seat post and derailleur guard is an easy and inexpensive fix. I don't like twist throttle either, but I can live with it.

I prefer a non-integrated rack... in black. Like you said, something that is removeable with a spring clamp.

I know the above picture is a pre-release version, but I hope the final version will have more tasteful design on the paint. Right now, it looks really bare in plain white.

P.S. As a comparison, this Voltbike design is similar to the Surface604 Rook.

Last edited:
Elegant in appearance, to my eye at least. I look forward to seeing the final version.

For the record, Voltbike made several upgrades to the Mariner that I just bought, I think in response to comments made in this forum - a neoprene protector for the lower stay (not sure of the formal term), a derailleur protector are examples. I'm guessing they will do the same with the "Elegant".

@Voltbike Can you reveal a picture of the Black version, please? Your website said a pre-order will secure your colour choice, but I'd like to see a picture first. Thanks.

I am not a big fan of the rear rack welded permanently to the seat stay. The welds also look "gunky" and excessive. I'd much prefer a clean bolt-on rack (with standard mounting screws) that can be removed or replaced. The rack from the Yukon 750 is nice. I especially like the spring-clamp, which is very functional for me.

Also, I prefer a black rack. The white-on-white doesn't appeal to me, IMO.

@SuperGoop Did you ever get an Elegant? I haven't crossed the Yukon 750 off my list as a commuter, but your comments and others did get me to revisit my short list and the Elegant was on it. Any thoughts on the Elegant as my commuter? I don't mind spending a $100 - $200 to change out a few components to get it right. I do wish the top tube was more of a conventional slope so I could haul it on my hanging rack when necessary.

I bought a Mariner. It's a fun bike, and I love riding it. It's more versatile than the Elegant, perhaps, because of the fat tires and foldability.

Back