New Vados, Comos, and TERA!

Hi,

I preordered the Como 4 in sand color for my wife. I need the XL and hope they introduce the Como 5 in XL.

I rented a Como in the summer of 2019 in Boulder and loved it. I took it 3000 feet up Flagstaff mountain and it still had power to burn when I turned around at the mountain fire station.

Can anyone tell what version the bike was? It was a beast, super comfortable and responsive. Specialized has nailed it. I put many miles on it during that trip.

Is there anything better than the Como for that kind of comfortable ride but also a lively feel and great handling?

Thanks,
Dave

Hi,

I preordered the Como 4 in sand color for my wife. I need the XL and hope they introduce the Como 5 in XL.

I rented a Como in the summer of 2019 in Boulder and loved it. I took it 3000 feet up Flagstaff mountain and it still had power to burn when I turned around at the mountain fire station.

Can anyone tell what version the bike was? It was a beast, super comfortable and responsive. Specialized has nailed it. I put many miles on it during that trip.

Is there anything better than the Como for that kind of comfortable ride but also a lively feel and great handling?

Thanks,
Dave
Looks like a Como 4. I bought mine in March of this year. I took my Granddaughter to the LBS to pick out a new bike for her 16th birthday. The evil salesman said "here Pap take this one" and gave me a Como 4 to go with her to test ride a Trek Marlin. I bought the Marlin that day and began my research on e-bikes. A year and a half later working around low stock and price increases I brought the 4 home. I especially like the quiet motor and the seamless operation of the drive system. It handles like a dream. Enjoy

Last edited:
Speaking of new, went to a car show today, lots of old iron. One area was for the gassers, there was another area for the lectric vehicles.

Trek had a booth with some of their ebikes so I got to do some test ride which I'd never done but wanted to for quite a while. Rode something similar to Como and thought it might have been down on power but it might have been a class 1. Rode one of their high dollar $9k emtb, it had some power but maybe because of the gearing.

Nothing really deficient on either bike that I could tell off hand, the one cruiser type did have a chain guard so your pant leg didn't get into the chain which I thought was nice.

As for riding unassisted, the difference between the Bosch and Brose stood out. Would be quite the workout with the Bosch. Glad I ended up with the Spec just because of that.

But the Trek bikes were nice.

Sorry if I overlooked it here or in other threads. Is there an hint for a MTB hardtail with Sl drive for 2022?
In our german forum here were some rumors last year about a planned Levo HT SL, what would seem quite logical for me. But as there are still no news about it, it seems it was more hope than a rumor with some truth...
There are already quite a lot fully MTB ebikes with light motor drives, with SL, Fazua, EP8. But still almost nothing for MTB hardtails (what is my interest at the moment) which such edrives. Only already a few years the same 1-3 models with Fazua: Focus Raven2 and two even more exotic/rare (at least in Germany) competitors. Also I'm not keen on buying more new motors and as we already know the SL system some time and miles in two bikes, a SL hardtail would be great!

Hi,

Thanks,
Dave
Dave I think the answer to your question is the Como is generally considered the more comfortable ride, certainly up through the 2021 model year. The new 2022 Vado vs. Como may be different, but because they are so new nobody here has had a chance to try them and compare them. Speaking for myself personally, I would like to raise the riding position on my 2019 Vado to be more upright, like a Como.

Dave I think the answer to your question is the Como is generally considered the more comfortable ride, certainly up through the 2021 model year. The new 2022 Vado vs. Como may be different, but because they are so new nobody here has had a chance to try them and compare them. Speaking for myself personally, I would like to raise the riding position on my 2019 Vado to be more upright, like a Como.
We have a thread ( or ten ) on that ...

We have a thread ( or ten ) on that ...
You seem to be a slightly prejudiced person Art (although I can understand your needs for ride comfort!) :) My Vado with the stem riser, suspension handlebars and seat-post (and with reasonably inflated tyres) is as comfortable as it can be ridden in harsh terrain without pain, and no hunched riding position! Vado SL is more difficult. Suspension stem and seat-post made it quite comfy but I decided to not raise the bars, and that makes me suffer a little (but the aero is better!)

I admire Specialized efforts to make their e-bikes selling even better (and Spesh are marketing geniuses!) For me, the new Vado (albeit very nice) has sacrificed some of its "sportive" character for comfort. As I like to say: "Vado has been gentrified" :) Still, a very nice and desirable e-bike!

I just got a Vado SL 4.0 EQ a couple of weeks ago :D Any chance this digital locking mechanism might make it into the previous model(s) via firmware update? I see no reason why you could not.
I'd be curious as well on this. If it did allow this it would put specialized way up in my book (I've never tried specialized before and would have to travel a long way for a store) the new tero sounds so good!

Does the Tera look like a Vado with knobbies and dropper post or is it just me?
The pictures do make the frames look identical. This would make sense from a business cost standpoint, especially when supply chain is so FUBAR. The 2022 Vado is was shown on the spec page as having 650b x 2.3" tires, but the pictures showed Pathfinder Sport tires, which I think were only available up to 47mm in 650b. So either new tires or wrong spec? the 650b x 2.3" are what the Roll and Como use. Maybe the plan is to use those on the Vado as well to help with comfort?

I'd be curious as well on this. If it did allow this it would put specialized way up in my book (I've never tried specialized before and would have to travel a long way for a store) the new tero sounds so good!
It's a different motor from the heavy Vado.

It's a different motor from the heavy Vado.
They claim the new controller is what has the motor cutout logic. So the motor may not mater if the controller can be upgraded. If the firmware doesn't support the old motor, then it's probably not going to happen (this would be my bet).

Does the Tera look like a Vado with knobbies and dropper post or is it just me?
The geometry of each e-bike model is totally different. For example, the headtube angle in Vado is far slacker than in Tero. You cannot build a bike with a 110 mm travel suspension fork and give it the same geometry as the one with a 80 mm sus fork.

Specialized know their bikes.

Interesting find. The suspension seat post shown on the pictures of the chain drive version is not the same as the version shown on the picture on the front page of the manual that is available. The manual picture shows the Automatiq version and it appears to have a Thudbuster. Either way, the manual shows the seat tube is 30.9 so I can get a shim to keep using my 27.2 Kinekt/Bodyfloat post.

The geometry of each e-bike model is totally different. For example, the headtube angle in Vado is far slacker than in Tero. You cannot build a bike with a 110 mm travel suspension fork and give it the same geometry as the one with a 80 mm sus fork.

Specialized know their bikes.
Specialized know your cheque book:)

i see a 36t chainring, guessing Class 1? They did some box checking on that one except for the class1.

Back