New to this - asking for help!

Robert hi,
Here is one other suggestion.
Biktrix Stunner
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
It's a cruiser, $1900.oo, cheaper than townie go, and will have more hill power than the Interceptor, your 2 choices in the first post.

I got one of the first ones this year, have 780 miles on it since the snow left. It will climb the hills as stated. I live on English Mtn. Rd. that rises 600 feet, an average of 8%, and some sections are steeper. I do that hill on PAS level 2 out of 5, I pedal like I'm on the level, and do it three times faster than I did before E-bike.

Just one more model to consider.

PS, since that pic. on their website is of a prototype, the bike actually comes with the so-called shark pack battery, better looking IMO. Also the color is much closer to black, than the grey looking picture.....I'll see if I can find my post when mine arrived.....

I was lucky to have a shop that had quite a few bikes in stock, so I was able to ride on a variety of different bikes. I also met some people locally who offered to let me check theirs out. I ended up with what I did for one main reason - the cost. My bike retails for close to $3,000 new. My shop had them on clearance for half that and then they knocked a few hundred more off the price because I was friends with a good customer of theirs. Honestly if it hadn't been for that, I probably would have ended up on a Sondors or some other lower end "budget" e-bike as I can't afford the average "good" bike.

Robert,

I was in your shoes just a few weeks ago. I was able to go to several shops here and ride a few different bikes. I did my research and decided that the budget had to be around $1500. I did not know if I would like riding the bike as much as the TREK 930 that had served me well for many years. I was leaning toward the Rad Rover Fat Tire bike since we do go to the mountains a lot, but they were selling too fast for me to wait on delivery. I ran across the Big Cat Fat Cat XL and ordered one. I was able to get it at 10% off and free shipping. I have not regretted the purchase at all. It had a lot of what I wanted included. So after 159 miles I am still enjoying the bike. The wife liked it so much, we ordered her a LBC Fat Cat XL upgraded to a 48volt 500watt system.

Fat Cat xl.jpg

Is it good on trails as well as pavement?

Yes Robert it is good on trails, and on pavement. I go on dirt roads and trails too, mostly old rail beds. It's tires are 2.3" wide, and before the fat bike craze, that's all any mountain bike had.

EDIT, and about the range, the 780 miles I did on 25 charges, that's an average of 31.2 miles per charge, and I never once took the battery to the point of cut off (dead) yet.

Well, I went up to NH, and when I mentioned CrazyLenny I got a frosty response. Tried out a few bikes (they weren't crazy about that) on very level ground. I liked (a lot) the haibike they let me ride. Since a friend was also into getting a bike (he went up to NH too), and we bought two for a good price (I think?). I got a Sduro trekking RC and he got a Xduro trekking RX.
Thanks to all of you who offered such good advice. I think I learned about as much as possible in so short a time thanks to all of you. Will post pictures when the bikes come (mine will be a week delayed).
Best,
Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Robert.. Don't worry about what you paid.. What matters is that you use and enjoy it as much as possible.

@Robert Smith glad you and your friend got the Haibikes; one of my favorite ebike designs. The bike shop in NH didn't object to test rides, they objected to 'showrooming'. Had you asked shop to help you on pricing, especially since two bikes were in the deal your local bike shop probably would have been able to work with you. Given that you will want to have nearby help over a long time to support and care for these mid drive bikes, a local shop is the best source for that help, not an out of state place. Each shop invests in special training and tools to be capable of helping its customers with their electric bikes and often offer extra perks along with service to their regular customers.

@Robert Smith glad you and your friend got the Haibikes; one of my favorite ebike designs. The bike shop in NH didn't object to test rides, they objected to 'showrooming'. Had you asked shop to help you on pricing, especially since two bikes were in the deal your local bike shop probably would have been able to work with you. Given that you will want to have nearby help over a long time to support and care for these mid drive bikes, a local shop is the best source for that help, not an out of state place. Each shop invests in special training and tools to be capable of helping its customers with their electric bikes and often offer extra perks along with service to their regular customers.
I agree if you can get local support it would help. As someone who does not have a local Ebike shop I have purchased three bikes from distance suppliers. Both provide better customer support than LBS and have up to date knowledge on Ebikes.

What is 'showrooming' ? If you mean trying different models - bike shops should carry some demo bikes. Customers with money to spend should be able to test any and all. If the local bike shop can't support this option the customer has the right to take his money where test rides can be supported. The LBS will probably get the opportunity to service the bike if customer support is a priority. After all the manufacturer supports dealerships and expects them to honor warranties. If they don't...spend money where they do.

@grench, showrooming is using a shop to get knowledge and test rides when someone has already decided to do an online or non local purchase. The NH shop does support test rides; however, this person made it clear from the start that they were actively exploring a non local source. When you don't have a local shop that is one thing; Robert does have regional options. The other issue is not bashing any seller; however, many electric bike shops and various manufacturers invest in ElectricBikeReview.com and the Forum; they pay to share their product and location info on the site; it's what keeps this space a free forum for members. The forum is not here to advertise sales, Court does not support that. The forum is here for owners of ebikes, the curious about ebikes, shops and manufacturers of electric bikes to share information about the bikes, technical and ride experience related and to connect members to nearby or local shops that specialize or support electric bikes. When you don't give your local shop the opportunity to compete on price and service then the long term health of the electric bike industry suffers when local shops close. Ebikes require technical support; some people have the capacity to take care of their bike by themselves; however, most don't. Many generous members take time, as I do to help someone find a local shop, since sometimes it's not clear where these shops are located. Don't short circuit that part of the process.

Yes, warranties have to be honored; however, a number of issues can be prevented if a bike were prepped locally and tested rather than being shipped partially built to someone. Many people don't understand that manufacturers do not pay shops for labor on warranty work. That's generally made clear in the owner's manual. Customers who buy items online or out of state get angry with a local shop when it won't provide free labor for repairs done under warranty. My shop has been in that position a number of times. Had the person purchased the bike locally, made a local investment, there may have been a little more leeway on diagnostic costs or labor fees.

that is good to know ann, did not realize the bike companies do not pay for the labor when the bike is under warranty

thank you for pointing that out

@Robert Smith thank you for clarifying your experience a bit. To even mention a discounter indicates that you've done some searching and that does create tension with many other shops. If you called another shop after doing the test ride in NH and got a firm price that would be the time to chat with whomever had the power to make sales decisions at the NH shop; not necessarily just the guy setting up the test rides, especially when 2 bikes are involved. Dealing with another store that intentionally discounts prices but does not have any real way to provide service will not help you in the long run with moderately high maintenance bikes like the Haibikes, they are not simple bikes like Harry's EG. Yes, 2 hours is a bit of a drive (there's really no one else closer that sells ebikes?) but if they have the trained staff it's worth it.

What does 'moderately high maintenance' mean? More than for a regular pedal bike? As in motor or battery troubles? There are two bike shops nearby, the oldest, 'famous' one tried electric bikes a few years ago and there was so little interest, he had to cut the prices in half to get rid of them and no longer carries any. I don't know if his people can work on electrics. The other shop, I'm told has something to do with them, builds them to order...can order? I'll stop in and see. 45 minutes away is a electric bike shop, but as they don't advertise much of a selection of bikes and the NH store carries a larger variety, I went up there. Also, the NH store has much better prices then most, and ....no tax in that state.
Best,

Robert, congratulations on your new bike!

'Moderately high maintenance'

Yamaha ebikes have been around for some time, so there is a knowledge base online to draw from. They were just introduced to the U.S. market this year, so finding a local, independent, aftermarket shop could be more difficult. In addition the non Yamaha drive components are still bicycle components that will be under greater stress and load by simply being driven by a motor. To better illustrate those stresses, a real fit professional road racing cyclist can generate on average ~200-250 (+ peak/sprint) watts. If you are using pedal assist, you might generate 75 to 125 watts, added to whatever the motor is generating. So peak hill climbing, you can double the stress a pro can generate, on a pro bike.

That doesn't mean the bike can't handle it. It just means you need to be diligent with preventative maintenance on chain, chain-rings, cogs, derailleurs, bearings... Now is a good time to invest in gaining some knowledge of bicycle maintenance. Here is a good starting point: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/repairs.html

s-l16003.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l16002.jpg Thanks, I'm starting to read about maintenance at the site you recommended. Do you think this would work/be a good idea for a carrier for a couple of bikes? Weight limit 500 lbs.

If you already own it, then you can make it work with enough straps. Seems like you could put the bikes in the pickup bed just as easy?

I have a Swagman XTC2, which is a two bike platform carrier. They make one where the bikes are said to fall off, but I think this model seems fairly secure. Advantage is quick loading. Lower the two clasps onto the frames and wrap the runner straps around the tires. My SUV had a 350 lb tongue weight capacity. The rack was 28 lbs, and my two bikes w/o batteries are 92 lbs. I'm now using a VW Wagon, and I dunno if the hitch will have a high enough rating.

In regards to buying locally. I bought the wife's Shimano Steps based Ebike from local shop, has definitively paid off. Been back a few times for minor warranty issues, faulty brake pads, loose suspension seat. Going back today for issue with STEPs mid drive, squeaks under heavy load in High mode. Will see what outcomes is.

Shop owner has been good, but is getting a little annoyed at all these visits. As a local appliance store use to say "It is the putting right that counts".

Robert. Congratulations on your purchase.

Buy local if youre not sure about the reliability of the eBike and/or you cannot fix it on your own. It will more than pay for itself.

Geared hub motors are just as good on hills as mid drives, which actually use the smallest motors of ALL types. With a double reduction planetary setup.
Even the newest generation of gearless hub motors will climb with aplomb.
The problems of 3 or 4 years ago mostly don't apply anymore.

harry i just did a quick search for that swagman and the weight limit for each bike on that rack is supposed to be 35lbs each
if i found the same one you have

you probably already know this but i will post it for others

you have to watch tongue weight on your vehicle and the weight of each slot per bike as recommended by the manufacturer

Back