New tires and rotating tires on Rad Rover

sid5427

Hi Guys -

So I was wondering if any of you have changed the tires on the radrover to something else - if so which one did you pick ? I feel the tires are fine but riding on concrete pathways in my university they make a really loud buzzing noise - it's fine on roads and no sound on gravel.

And I was wondering if anyone has considered tire rotation - like we do for cars- I feel the rear tire takes the brunt of the load and will wear down quicker - maybe switch the tires in say about 3 months to perhaps even out the wear - what are you thoughts on this ?

i was noticing that the rear tire on my rover looks more worn , so this is a good question

interested to hear what the pros say

I own two RadRovers with less than 200 miles on each ebike. I would like to get a ball park of how many miles the tires will last with about 70% asphalt/concrete road wear?

It seems there isn't a lot of tread on the RR tires for such a heavy rwd ebike?

Aren't fat bikes zipping down roads at 20 or so mph a newer phenomenon? Not so long ago I only saw these guys on beaches and in the snow. Hopefully Schwalbe, Continental and other makers will be out with ebike ready fat tires in the near future. For now it seems these big boys will wear quickly on roads. Rotating seams like a good idea?

@sid5427 @vincent @mrgold35 @dm nelson Buy 26 x 2.5 Maxxis Hookworms if you are not going offroad. You won't be disappointed. They mount up to the Radrover rims nicely, are lower (26" vs. 29") diameter inflated for more torque, have crazy grip no matter your lean angle, and will last forever with the stock setup. I purchased Origin8 Supercell tires (26 x 4) to replace the Hookworms and am nowhere near as satisfied anymore.

@sid5427 @vincent @mrgold35 @dm nelson Buy 26 x 2.5 Maxxis Hookworms if you are not going offroad. You won't be disappointed.
Those look like some nice urban road tires, walawn! Glad to know of your experience. And they actually work well on the 26x4 rims, despite their 24x2.5 size? We mostly ride on the road, with occasional packed trail rides with the radrovers. For singletrack and real off-road I still ride my 29er mtn bike. Perhaps someday I'll put a mid motor on it. :)

@dm nelson That is correct. They will mount up just fine to the stock Radrover rims. I am running them on my Mongoose Malus fatbike at the moment (with the Radrover wheels & motor) and they work great. Plus that bike is 1/3 the weight of the Radrover.

@dm nelson That is correct. They will mount up just fine to the stock Radrover rims. I am running them on my Mongoose Malus fatbike at the moment (with the Radrover wheels & motor) and they work great. Plus that bike is 1/3 the weight of the Radrover.

Would this spec (2.5" x 20") work on the 4" x 20" rim configuration too? I have a fatbike Mariner similar to the RadRover Mini and doing a lot of pavement. Not sure if these tires would work but would be delighted if they did. Not experienced in tire fitting & bikes and what is compatible.

@Cnugget My first ebike was a Prodecotech. Phantom X3 to be exact. I'm not sure if the the tire would work with Prodecotech's choosen wheels for your Mariner. You could buy one tire to check and if it fits buy the other. Or buy two on Amazon or eBay and return them if they don't work. If they do work, you wont regret your purchase. I wish I could put my Hookworms back on my heavily modified Radrover every time I ride it. The Supercells just aren't the same.

@Cnugget My first ebike was a Prodecotech. Phantom X3 to be exact. I'm not sure if the the tire would work with Prodecotech's choosen wheels for your Mariner. You could buy one tire to check and if it fits buy the other. Or buy two on Amazon or eBay and return them if they don't work. If they do work, you wont regret your purchase. I wish I could put my Hookworms back on my heavily modified Radrover every time I ride it. The Supercells just aren't the same.
Wondering if those Hookworms still fit or does the bike's modification make it so they don't fit anymore?

Looks like they don't have a 20 x 2.5 tire in the Hookworms. :confused:

I have a set of: Sunlite XL Cruiser Tires in 20 x 4 on my RadMini and they work pretty well for road, but they are not light Sang

Good to know about the weight. Because the tire is wider, it might not work with the Mariner without creating conflict with the chain. The clearance is pretty tight even with factory tires. One reason a smaller width would be awesome. Do you think I could get away with a 3" tire if I could find one at the 20" width? In the dark about what will fit or not fit the rims I have. AK! Sorry for hijacking the rotating tread/wear thread.

@dm nelson Ha ha. Radrover wheels and Maxxis Hookworms are strong enough to do it. Make sure that you don't skimp on tubes. I don't think a tire liner is needed.

Back