NEW SONDORS LX

I have come to the conclusion that if you want a powerful electric bike with lots of range which equates to a heavier battery, spokes and wheels that don't break, a strong frame etc. It has to have some heft to it. The bike I own had a few issues with light parts and had to be upgraded to heavier stuff.
The components that can withstand the stress are going to weigh a substantial amount unless they are exotic (expensive) material. If bike makers could get away with less aluminum etc it would increase their profit margin. Would I like to have a light electric bike that would hold together? Without a doubt but then I am sure I couldn't afford it either so will live with the heft as best I can..
I have a Cruiser coming in May, well maybe.... Not holding my breath.

Facebook Post
1614652429706.png

Pretty little bike ;), the e-bike equivalent of a Ram pick-up:

Guts and Glory RAM, BUILT TO SERVE​

Sondors has done something here. I'm just not sure what. I enjoy big SUV type bikes and my rebadged AM 1000 with 27.5 x 2.8 in tires is a joy to ride if I stay off difficult single track. But still when I look at it sitting in the house ( no garage and have to keep it out of the weather ) it looks clunky. It's an outsized beast of a bike. 60 years of one aesthetic ( svelt road bikes ) just cannot be erased from my mind. I have an ingrained sense of the 'art' of a 'proper' bike. There's just no getting over it. The recent Sonders bikes take my senses further than my brain wants to go. I'll probably get used to them eventually. If I was fabulously wealthy I'd probably buy some $10k plus European offering and just suppress the guilt over expending that much money on a bicycle, still wishing it had a throttle, and enjoy gazing at it sitting in my living room. But most likely spending more time riding on the SUV bike.

I agree totally. It's not only an impression, they made zero efforts in that direction and we know the result an unjustifiable 89 lbs.

I agree totally. It's not only an impression, they made zero efforts in that direction and we know the result an unjustifiable 89 lbs.
I mean I didn't weigh my Juggernaut HD duo last night when I put it together but I'd say it's around 90lbs. It might not be totally fair to put the blame of a heavy bike solely on Sondors. You could blame them for not being more upfront about it and all the other bike dimensions that were way off.

Saying it's 65lbs for nearly a year when it's really 90lbs is flat out wrong. The bike being 90lbs is not really that out of line

Sure ? in the EBR reviews the Juggernaut Classic HD with rear rack and fenders is "only" 75 lbs. The Ultra is 74.5 lbs with a comparable 21A battery.

I think that for now the evolution of some ebikes is going to be on the heavier side because of the amount of increased power and size of the batteries requires the frame to be stronger. To keep the costs down it's going to be aluminum.

Back