New Raleigh Tokul iE Owner

volinbham

Hello all,

I've had my Raleigh Tokul iE for a couple weeks and I love it. I've had the Juiced Ocean Current for over a year but wanted a MTB. Tried to buy early in the Summer but they were all out of stock. Found one at Fly Rides in San Diego (La Jolla). Once Raleigh dropped the price last Spring this (to me) was the best deal going. Great components, Plus size tires and boost hub spacing, Bosch CX Performance, Rock Shox Judy Gold air fork. The closest thing I found was Giant Fathom 3 but it was $500 more and had a cheap spring shock. Liked Bosch over Giant Syncdrive as well. Only downside is 400 powerpack instead of 500.

I've put a slight riser stem and Soma Clarence bar to get a bit more upright. It's close to where I want it but the sweep helps on the wrists (along with some Ergo grips).

Some pics of the Clarence bar

I just picked up another eBike from Raleigh for my spouse... the MisCEO Sport iE. ;)

Attachments

• 1569734097982.png
    1569734097982.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 604
Nice! I love my Tokul IE, just passed 200 miles on it. Check out my thread in this forum if you're wondering how to install a kickstand or water bottle holder.

Hello all,

I've had my Raleigh Tokul iE for a couple weeks and I love it. I've had the Juiced Ocean Current for over a year but wanted a MTB. Tried to buy early in the Summer but they were all out of stock. Found one at Fly Rides in San Diego (La Jolla). Once Raleigh dropped the price last Spring this (to me) was the best deal going. Great components, Plus size tires and boost hub spacing, Bosch CX Performance, Rock Shox Judy Gold air fork. The closest thing I found was Giant Fathom 3 but it was $500 more and had a cheap spring shock. Liked Bosch over Giant Syncdrive as well. Only downside is 400 powerpack instead of 500.

I've put a slight riser stem and Soma Clarence bar to get a bit more upright. It's close to where I want it but the sweep helps on the wrists (along with some Ergo grips).

View attachment 38689View attachment 38690View attachment 38691View attachment 38692
I have the Tokul’s cousin, the Lore. I had Propel bikes install similar ergonomic handlebars. They also raised the stem for me, and put on a rack. So now it’s “domesticated”.
I think you got a great value, and will be delighted with your purchase. The Tokul and Lore are best kept secrets.
I’ve owned mine 8 months, other than the Purion display eating batteries it’s been great. Just installed a thudbuster seatpost.

Attachments

• A2932215-1B0E-47B0-A0ED-64AE981CBDE2.jpeg
    A2932215-1B0E-47B0-A0ED-64AE981CBDE2.jpeg
    645.2 KB · Views: 508
Hello all,

View attachment 38689View attachment 38690View attachment 38691View attachment 38692
That is a very solid looking purchase ,may it serve you well! Regarding your wrists...I have found that getting those Ergon grips dialed in took several micro adjustments to find the sweet spot for me. Judging from the pic your grips are in a more horizontal position than what I eventually settled on, so I am humbly suggesting that if you have some discomfort, consider trying tilting them down a wee bit more at the back to see if it feels better.

That is a very solid looking purchase ,may it serve you well! Regarding your wrists...I have found that getting those Ergon grips dialed in took several micro adjustments to find the sweet spot for me. Judging from the pic your grips are in a more horizontal position than what I eventually settled on, so I am humbly suggesting that if you have some discomfort, consider trying tilting them down a wee bit more at the back to see if it feels better.
Thank you. I have already had them adjusted, but maybe I’ll play around with them a little more, because I’m still having issues with hand numbness. It’s not as bad as it was, but still there, especially since changing my saddle angle.
I really think I need a good bike fitting. I’m starting to have issues with my knees, now that I’m riding harder.
This is probably a rant for a whole other post, but my experience has been that a lot of LBS employees know very little about fitting a bike.
One thing I’ve noticed is that if you are an older person, or look less than athletic, they will set the saddle too low, maybe because they are afraid that you will injure yourself trying out the bike, or getting on or off it.
Then again, thanks to my back issues, I’ve developed a short body and long legs, so maybe it’s just me.
OOPS your response wasn’t directed to me but I have those exact same handlebars on my Lore, and your post was so helpful. You are always so great about liking posts, encouraging people, and offering helpful advice!

Thank you. I have already had them adjusted, but maybe I’ll play around with them a little more, because I’m still having issues with hand numbness. It’s not as bad as it was, but still there, especially since changing my saddle angle.
I really think I need a good bike fitting. I’m starting to have issues with my knees, now that I’m riding harder.
This is probably a rant for a whole other post, but my experience has been that a lot of LBS employees know very little about fitting a bike.
One thing I’ve noticed is that if you are an older person, or look less than athletic, they will set the saddle too low, maybe because they are afraid that you will injure yourself trying out the bike, or getting on or off it.
Then again, thanks to my back issues, I’ve developed a short body and long legs, so maybe it’s just me.
OOPS your response wasn’t directed to me but I have those exact same handlebars on my Lore, and your post was so helpful. You are always so great about liking posts, encouraging people, and offering helpful advice!
Hi Toomanycats ...thanks for your kind words my friend (-: I think you are right aout the seat height issue. I have noticed that if I have the seat too low I will soon get knee pain. Long may you ride into that SoCal sunshine! PS I like your bike ...it looks like it means business and If I lived where you do I would not have fenders either and I would use my Super Moto X tires. Alas I must wait for the snow to melt before I can get back to serious Ebiking.

Last edited:
Did you get the Thudbuster ST? I recently switched to the Extra soft rubber insert #1 and I like it! I was using #3 medium since that is what they suggest as I weigh about 160. Now that I have finally tried the XS I am never switching back to a stiffer insert even though I weigh more than the instructions say I should.

I have recently become a proud owner of a new 2018 Tokul iE! I will be using it for mainly commuting (I know that it is a mountain bike, but the suspension and tires are good for the back). I am looking for a fender solution that does not make the bike look as much like an enduro motorcycle (Topeak MTN bike fenders) and more like an urban bike solution (Haibike sduro trekking s 9.0). The fork and the frame may not allow for this but I thought that someone might have wanted a similar look.

Back