New Nitro Owner

admccrea

Pretty excited, I ordered a E3 Nitro today. It is a 2014 floor model apparently not ridden. Got it for 2145 with a full factory warranty. It has the high output battery and 28 mph top speed. The only thing that bothers me a little is that its marked s/m frame size. everything I find shows Small, Medium or Large. I had the guy measure the stand over height and it seem to be close to the right size for me.

Has anyone ever heard of a S/M size with the Nitros?

@admccrea , I think that's what they called the small frame in 2013/14. To verify your frame size measure from the middle of the bottom bracket to the top of the joint of the seat tube and that will be the value representing frame size. In this case it should be 18". Currie Tech has a nice layout of the Eflow's geometry showing all of the tube angles & lengths; this should help you verify which frame size you bought. Have really enjoyed riding the eflow around the hills here; has a nice feel and good performance--the miles seem to just fly by!

@admccrea , I think that's what they called the small frame in 2013/14. To verify your frame size measure from the middle of the bottom bracket to the top of the joint of the seat tube and that will be the value representing frame size. In this case it should be 18". Currie Tech has a nice layout of the Eflow's geometry showing all of the tube angles & lengths; this should help you verify which frame size you bought. Have really enjoyed riding the eflow around the hills here; has a nice feel and good performance--the miles seem to just fly by!

Thanks Ann, I am super excited. It should be delivered on the 26th.

Have you purchased a 2nd battery and or charger? Seems like the high output battery is not on anybody's website.

Welcome to the site admccrea.
You are going to love this bike. Crazy fun/power but can also be a great workout. She climbs like a beast as well.
In my opinion, the Nitro is way up there in the value department compared to other E-Bikes.
I got very lucky and caught a fire sale. I got my 2013 Nitro brand new including the city kit for $1300 out the door with warranty.
Enjoy!!!

Nah, got such great performance from the one battery that's not been an issue. The 18ah battery was never made for the earlier models. Do remember to sit on the bike first and don't put any weight on the pedals, then power on the console--that will calibrate the torque sensor properly based on the rider's weight. That way you get the max power output and correct torque which will affect your range too. Send some pics of your bike or where you're riding!

The Nitro came today! Had to put the wheels on and charge the battery.
A few questions:
Is there a way to tell if the battery is the high output version?
There is a bolt under the quick release for the battery. What is it for?
How hard do you have to pedal to get to 28 mph? I tried but didn't do the startup sequence correctly. I hit about 22 or 23.
So far I really like it. And the S\M size seems to be ok.

Cool, got your bike @admccrea ! The volt & amps plus some other info should be on a tag I think on the bottom of the battery. All of the 2014 Nitros bikes come with the higher 15 AH battery unlike the 2013 which has the 11.5AH setup, but its still the same size case. Snap a pic of that bolt, please--I don't recall the bolt you refer to. There are two versions of the 2014 Nitro; one that is the speed pedelec as Currie Tech calls it that has a little less torque and has the 28mph setup, the other is the better hill climber with more torque and a little less top speed. They are different motors, not just a console programming feature. Power down the console, sit on the seat and don't put your feet on the pedals, then turn on the system and give it a moment to boot up--that will set the torque sensors properly. Currie mentions that you have to pedal pretty hard to get the 28mph speed, but I didn't find it all that hard. Check with your dealer to see which motor you got the bike with -- speed or torque.

Hi all, I figured out what the bolt is for under the seat, seems like the seat quick release fits over the end of it.
two more questions:
Has anyone replace the handle bars? seems like they are narrow and not any options to move your hands around while riding.
Also, anyone changed the stock grips out? I would like more ergonomic ones...the right side is so tiny, not sure what my options are.

thanks,
Andy

I just added ergo grips to my ebike and the right hand throttle side grip was about two inches longer than the stock grip. I just repositioned the shifter, bake lever and throttle and the grip fits great. No problem with reaching the shifter and the ergo grips are a huge improvement in comfort. You can always cut the ergo grip to fit if that is the only option . Also the old hairspray trick to remove the stock grips worked like a charm.

Thanks - I added the Ergon grips and a wider handlebar...much better. I will post pictures soon. I am having a hard time with the front fender in the City Kit. I will start a new thread.

Last edited:
New handlebars, Ergon grips and the City Kit installed. Just waiting for the Ortlieb Sport Packer Plus bags and I am ready to start commuting.

2015-06-13 13.39.51 (1024x768).jpg

2015-06-13 13.39.58 (1024x768).jpg

which version ? fast? price discussion are to be PM'd I believe, maybe just dealers, dont remember 100% of the rules

Could you share the bike shop where you get 2013 for $1300 with city kit and 2014 for $2145 probably with city kit also? Is this price including tax already?

I got 2013 model for $1900 before tax and without city kit a few month ago.

They were going out of business and just wanted to offload their inventory. They were called "Kilowatt Sport" located in Arizona.
Could you share the bike shop where you get 2013 for $1300 with city kit and 2014 for $2145 probably with city kit also? Is this price including tax already?

I got 2013 model for $1900 before tax and without city kit a few month ago.

Kilowatt Motorsports
3282 W Belle Ave
San Tan Valley, AZ 85142
480-272-5454
[email protected]
To Hurley
$1,999
$1,999

Clearance and Package Discount Applied
-$700
Subtotal $1,300
Sales Tax Inc.
Total
$1,300

Make all checks payable to Kilowatt Motorsports

Thank you for your business!

Last edited:
I'm not really a great handiman. Do you think REI would be able to replace my grips (and maybe even handlebar) without messing it up? Or do I need to go to a Currie dealer only?

Back