New Motobecane ULTRA eAdventure! / Preliminary Mid vs. Hub Drive Stats

Really does come down to what you ride or intend to ride. Not a lot of ebike options available right now so better to be riding a little under powered than not at all. My first ebike was under powered and I enjoyed it very much it also taught me more about what I wanted in the next one and I didn't know for sure if emtb-ing was for me at all to begin with.

Yes, I did use the Shimano app, and it definitely helped! It does not provide as much customization as it does for the 6100, 8000, or other motors in the series, but it adds a "Sportive" mode that makes "Eco" and "Normal" much more useful.

Yes, I've thought about Speedbox or other apps, but I'm with you-- not until the bike is out of warranty... maybe WAY out of warranty. The other thing to consider is that the E5000 is a lighter and smaller motor, so I don't know how well it would take to being derestricted. It might be more prone to overheating than other models. But please feel free to hit me back, either her or DM, to let me know if anyone's had any experience doing this with the E5000. Very hard to find ANY online feedback about this motor, let alone how it would respond to derestriction or one third-party app vs. another.

What would be ideal would be to add two new modes-- a high torque option that would get the torque to 50 or 55 Nm, and a high speed option that would get me to 25 MPH or just short of 28. I wouldn't want to push the motor harder than that-- and I wouldn't use those options except when I had to.

Money is a factor-- this is my biggest and only elective expense for the year, my business fluctuates unpredictably, and so do my expenses-- but if it cost me a grand to lose three pounds, I'd still be ahead of the game considering my low initial cost.
Replacing the suspension fork with a regular fork would save you some weight. For years, all my bikes had regular forks, and I don't recall any bad effects on the ride quality.

Oh, yeah. The Powerfly is in a completely different league from the Ultra, and probably a big step up from the M600 as well. I'm sure you're having a blast with it!

I don't do any really technical stuff. My doctor would probably strangle me if she knew I was doing trails at all. I have a lot to learn, but as the weeks go by, I do find I'm spending more time on dirt and less on pavement.
Seems like strangling you would be counterproductive.

I found this pretty interesting the new 2022 Kenevo SL only 35 NM..

Yeah, about 5 pounds lighter than my Moto in its current configuration, only 1.5 pounds heavier than my kit bike, very tempting.

The problem is, I'm new to MTB and eMTB, I knew I would be dropping the bike occasionally, which made me nervous about CF.

Indeed, I have dropped it-- slowly, was able to blunt the impact-- three times. If it were CF, that would have bugged me.

Replacing the suspension fork with a regular fork would save you some weight. For years, all my bikes had regular forks, and I don't recall any bad effects on the ride quality.
Not a chance. I do ride some of the same roads and trails on my kit bike, and even though that has some suspension in the stem and seat post, it is MUCH harder on my arms, shoulders, wrists and hands! The front suspension on the Moto makes a huge difference, I'd be miserable without it most places I ride. I am rehearsing for a show right now, and I have to avoid anything that makes my wrists painful or stiff. Even on the moto, I'm staying off harder trails until after the show.

Seems like strangling you would be counterproductive.
She is a very good doctor, but unfortunately, my HMO really forces her to be a robot, and sometimes I do think they'd prefer me to be dead than to violate any treatment recommendations. The EHR does track things like that, and physicians get 'brownie points' for reminding you to do things from the checklist for your particular disorder. I also have worked as a health care provider for the same HMO, and in some situations, they do care more about compliance than the quality of life of patients, or the quality of care they provide.

In other circumstances, they have been a model of efficiency, and probably saved my life more than once. Her heart is absolutely in the right place, and at the end of the day, we always reach some kind of workable agreement. But it's just a terrible system. In about 2004, she diagnosed me w/ emphysema based on a "checklist' interpretation of a chest X-ray... since then, I've skied Whistler, Mammoth, Park City and Snowbird, gone scuba diving, body-boarded in Hawaii at places with names like "Acid Drops."

A few years later, she did eventually admit the diagnosis was totally wrong. What are you gonna do?

Yes, I did use the Shimano app, and it definitely helped! It does not provide as much customization as it does for the 6100, 8000, or other motors in the series, but it adds a "Sportive" mode that makes "Eco" and "Normal" much more useful.

Yes, I've thought about Speedbox or other apps, but I'm with you-- not until the bike is out of warranty... maybe WAY out of warranty. The other thing to consider is that the E5000 is a lighter and smaller motor, so I don't know how well it would take to being derestricted. It might be more prone to overheating than other models. But please feel free to hit me back, either her or DM, to let me know if anyone's had any experience doing this with the E5000. Very hard to find ANY online feedback about this motor, let alone how it would respond to derestriction or one third-party app vs. another.

What would be ideal would be to add two new modes-- a high torque option that would get the torque to 50 or 55 Nm, and a high speed option that would get me to 25 MPH or just short of 28. I wouldn't want to push the motor harder than that-- and I wouldn't use those options except when I had to.

Money is a factor-- this is my biggest and only elective expense for the year, my business fluctuates unpredictably, and so do my expenses-- but if it cost me a grand to lose three pounds, I'd still be ahead of the game considering my low initial cost.
I’m test riding the Devinci Milano today. It uses the e5000. Thanks to both of you for info about the app and sportive mode) ! It’s not a mountain bike - rather front suspension hybrid. I’ve appreciated all the info. I haven’t found many other opinions.

Very nice choice -- 47.3 pounds out of the box, so just under two pounds lighter than the Ultra-e Adventure. You might be able to drop a pound or two if needed.

Please report back on how it works for you! I only way 145 pounds myself. I bet it's quite trail-capable.

Had no problems with the E5000 so far.

Very nice choice -- 47.3 pounds out of the box, so just under two pounds lighter than the Ultra-e Adventure. You might be able to drop a pound or two if needed.

Please report back on how it works for you! I only way 145 pounds myself. I bet it's quite trail-capable.

Had no problems with the E5000 so far.
Report back is that I am too short ! O well. I was on the borderline & am glad I could check !

Back