New Member - Looking into switching from road bike to e-bike

Riverman

Hi from SE Missouri. Retired 3 years now. Turned 65 couple months ago. I'm no hard core rider but I ride a few hundred miles a year when weathers is nice. Been riding this for a long time now but my legs and knees just are not what they used to be. Couple family members have e-bikes now. They have paved most of the county backroads around here in the last few years including the one I live on. Lot of good places to ride but certain amount of hills. Some roads Id like to ride regularly are just hilly for me at this stage. Been looking at e-bikes for a while now, reading reviews, comments on here for a while now. Lot of good info on here. Thought it was time to ask some questions.

Attachments

• IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0131.JPG
    693.3 KB · Views: 336
Welcome, and best of luck in your search for the right e-bike!

I'm a real sucker for the utility (and looks!) of mountain bikes, but they certainly do make one miss the pure efficiency of road bikes. I wound up adding a Raleigh Tamland iE (no longer made by Raleigh) to my e-bike fleet, and could not be happier to be clipped into a road (or, in this case, gravel) bike. It may not be quite as efficient as running on 25's or 28's, but the power from that motor more than makes up any drag of the 47's. Hills? What hills? Let's go look for some more!

If you want a natural pedaling and riding feel, I strongly suggest you consider a Bosch drivetrain. It feels just like a traditional bicycle, except less effort. I went from not cycling at all at the age of 64, to riding 2,500 miles a year. I started riding eBikes in May 2016, and passed 10,000 miles in February. I ride Haibikes, a full suspension mtb, and a Trekking style. For a road bike rider, I suggest the Trekking. Both of mine are 2016 models, and are class 3. I do a lot of riding at 22-23mph, and the class 3 makes that a natural.

I've been a runner for most of my life, but arthritis in the knees made me give it up 5 years ago. To keep up exercising I bought a road bike and joined a seniors riding group. Along the way I bought another very light carbon road bike and an ebike.
Lately, I've found that when it comes time to go for a ride I hop on my ebike, rather than my road bike. Ebikes are the future. At least I hope so, because I've just ordered another one.

Riverman, ask away. There are many individuals on this forum who are very knowledgeable and can steer you in the right direction.

There is always a possibility of a rear hub motor on the bike, but it limits you to 7 speed sprocket cluster and 3/32" chain. there is not much room for a battery on that bike in the triangle either. Putting the battery & the motor on the back really unbalances the bike. Your front fork may not be substantial enough to allow a front hub motor as I've got on the bike left with a steel front fork.
If you like the road posture, here is a thread about electric road bikes: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/lightweight-and-affordable-ebikes.10796/
I like sitting upright myself, and starting age 62 got too stiff to enjoy lifting my leg over a center bar either. But I can power 73 lb light 135 lb loaded with groceries for 25 -30 miles without power. I'm 170 lb, down from 213 age 58. The more I ride, the better my knees feel without cartlege, also with bone spurs. Dr. Ken Cooper is right about the endomorphine. I bought a geared hub motor to not drag when I am pedaling unpowered, but pull me 30 miles into a 25 mph headwind without spending 6 hours at 144 bpm doing it. I push myself at about 8 mph if the wind is down.
People keep mentioning the orbea for light assist in the road bike posture.
Bosch is like some recreational drug, there is no turning the power off if you get stronger. There is no riding it home with chain or electrical problems either, you push it or call a tow truck. I've pedaled home 25 miles when a heavy rain made my throttle quit working. There are geared hub motor bikes with torque sense for natural feel, like the xstream catalina https://electricbikereview.com/foru...m-catalina-cant-decide-need-help.33189/unread

Last edited:
I posted over in the help chosing an e-bike thread. Looking at bikes for mostly paved roads but also the occasional gravel road. 65 years old, 175 lbs. I'm more interested in how good it can climb a hill than I am speed. On my road bike I ride 15-20 miles quite a bit but anything longer is tougher on me now that I'm older. I want enough range for at least a 40 mile round trip ride once in a while with some reserve in battery to get me home if my legs get tired or my knee acts up and I want to crank up the assist. I like the idea of a suspension fork and the seat post I could always upgrade easy. Was looking hard at the Trek Allant+ 7 but then I noticed the Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 which is a class 3 bike. I'm not against the faster bike but how much better would the Trek be on hills vs the Specialized ? The other question I have is on the Giant Explore. The dealer I talked to the other day was pushing it. Said it was their best seller. He sells the specialized but doesn't stock it. I noticed the Giant has a 400 wh battery vs 500 wh on the the other 2 bikes. Also by the time you figure the rack, fenders and lights it doesn't seem any better deal than the others. I'd like opinions on these 3 bikes or other suggestions.

I posted over in the help chosing an e-bike thread. Looking at bikes for mostly paved roads but also the occasional gravel road. 65 years old, 175 lbs. I'm more interested in how good it can climb a hill than I am speed. On my road bike I ride 15-20 miles quite a bit but anything longer is tougher on me now that I'm older. I want enough range for at least a 40 mile round trip ride once in a while with some reserve in battery to get me home if my legs get tired or my knee acts up and I want to crank up the assist. I like the idea of a suspension fork and the seat post I could always upgrade easy. Was looking hard at the Trek Allant+ 7 but then I noticed the Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 which is a class 3 bike. I'm not against the faster bike but how much better would the Trek be on hills vs the Specialized ? The other question I have is on the Giant Explore. The dealer I talked to the other day was pushing it. Said it was their best seller. He sells the specialized but doesn't stock it. I noticed the Giant has a 400 wh battery vs 500 wh on the the other 2 bikes. Also by the time you figure the rack, fenders and lights it doesn't seem any better deal than the others. I'd like opinions on these 3 bikes or other suggestions.
Do some searches on here about Specialized. Boat load of trouble for a while with the bike and software. This will get the Specialized fans crying foul, but it's too much for me. I like to ride, I don't like having my bike in the shop despite their wonderful service and support. I bought my Haibikes in late 2016 and early 2017, only go back to the dealer to look at new models.

I noticed the Giant has a 400 wh battery vs 500 wh on the the other 2 bikes.
I don't know what part of Missourri you are in, but I chew up most of 840 wh on 21 hills on the last 6 miles of my 30 mile commute. Hits the red light on the next to last hill, sometimes controller drops out. Before motor I did the 25 mile route unpowered, but added 21 hills & 6 miles to stay off state hwy 3 which has 6" berms some places.

I don't know what part of Missourri you are in, but I chew up most of 840 wh on 21 hills on the last 6 miles of my 30 mile commute. Hits the red light on the next to last hill, sometimes controller drops out. Before motor I did the 25 mile route unpowered, but added 21 hills & 6 miles to stay off state hwy 3 which has 6" berms some places.
Highway 3? You over in Illinois? I'm over in Ste Genevieve. I've rode across river many times. Always stayed away from 3. Took the road down along river that goes by the prison into Chester. EDIT. Looks like your in Indiana. I wasn't paying attention to your name. The highway 3 I avoid is like the one you described.

Last edited:
Highway 3? You over in Illinois? I'm over in Ste Genevieve. I've rode across river many times. Always stayed away from 3. Took the road down along river that goes by the prison into Chester.
Indiana 3 from Charlestown to Otisco. Northeast of Louisville. I moved here because I like looking at hills, own a couple NE of Otisco. House in town is on the Ohio river flood plain. We drove through some hilly parts of Missourri on our Rte 66 vacation last year.

Since you are looking at hill climbing more than raw speed, and since all of the bikes you are looking at are mid-drives, you are most interested in the torque number of the motor. The Giant uses a Yamaha motor (maybe one of the most reliable) and has 80Nm of torque. The Specialized uses a Brose motor (probably the quietest) and has 80Nm of torque. The Trek uses a Bosch motor (also very reliable and maybe the most sophisticated) which has 75Nm of torque.

Probably wouldn't notice the mere 5Nm of torque difference unless the steepest climbs come towards the end of the ride. ;)

Know also that the Trek Allant+ bikes with an "S" after the number are speed pedelecs which give assistance to 28mph. Allant+ 7 = assist up to 20mph. Allant+ 7S = assist up to 28mph.

I've got nothing against the Giant, but a modern bike of this caliber should come with a 500Wh battery at a minimum.

Some of the Specialized bikes did indeed have some significant issues. Bad that folks were without their bikes for a period of time. Good that Specialized seemed to deal properly with all of the cases I have read. I'm sure hoping that this has been addressed as I just took delivery of a Turbo Vado 4.0 a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't resist the sale Specialized was having, which resulted in that bike being $1065 off MSRP. But I believe that the sale ends tonight, so won't be any good for you. But maybe during the current recession Specialized will extend it?

Indiana 3 from Charlestown to Otisco. Northeast of Louisville. I moved here because I like looking at hills, own a couple NE of Otisco. House in town is on the Ohio river flood plain. We drove through some hilly parts of Missourri on our Rte 66 vacation last year.
I'm about 60 miles south of St. Louis about 3 miles east of 55 not far from the Mississippi River.

Since you are looking at hill climbing more than raw speed, and since all of the bikes you are looking at are mid-drives, you are most interested in the torque number of the motor. The Giant uses a Yamaha motor (maybe one of the most reliable) and has 80Nm of torque. The Specialized uses a Brose motor (probably the quietest) and has 80Nm of torque. The Trek uses a Bosch motor (also very reliable and maybe the most sophisticated) which has 75Nm of torque.

Probably wouldn't notice the mere 5Nm of torque difference unless the steepest climbs come towards the end of the ride. ;)

Know also that the Trek Allant+ bikes with an "S" after the number are speed pedelecs which give assistance to 28mph. Allant+ 7 = assist up to 20mph. Allant+ 7S = assist up to 28mph.

I've got nothing against the Giant, but a modern bike of this caliber should come with a 500Wh battery at a minimum.

Some of the Specialized bikes did indeed have some significant issues. Bad that folks were without their bikes for a period of time. Good that Specialized seemed to deal properly with all of the cases I have read. I'm sure hoping that this has been addressed as I just took delivery of a Turbo Vado 4.0 a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't resist the sale Specialized was having, which resulted in that bike being $1065 off MSRP. But I believe that the sale ends tonight, so won't be any good for you. But maybe during the current recession Specialized will extend it?
Yeah, I knew the difference on the Trek bikes. S vs non S. If I went with the class 3 instead of the slower model would I be giving up much hill climbing torque? I'm not against the 28 mph capacity, just didn't think I needed it.

Yeah, I knew the difference on the Trek bikes. S vs non S. If I went with the class 3 instead of the slower model would I be giving up much hill climbing torque? I'm not against the 28 mph capacity, just didn't think I needed it.
Both will put out the same torque and therefore the same power on the hills. The difference is only the speed at which the pedal assist stops.

I am a 78 year old with very little bike experience. I went with a Specialized Vado 3.0 and upgraded it to my riding style and liking. To make the bike suited to me, I added a wider soft gel seat, a Redshift ShockStop seat post and a 48 tooth front sprocket. I can now cruise all day long at 20 mph with spurts of 30mph when needed. Luv my Vado 3.0. No problems to date, having owned the bike for 3 months. Ordered a larger front disc break, but because my local bike shop is so busy, I will have to wait a month to get it installed.

They're all good, give and take on the parts, you get what you pay for. My criteria was to get one with local support if needed, i.e. electrical stuff. Bought the Specialized Vado 5.0, no regrets there. You'll be happy on most anything as long as it works.

Back