New Member from San Antonio, Texas. Hello and a question.

Jet Peddler

Region
USA
Hi everyone! My name is Tripp and I live in the San Antonio, Texas area. Have been into scooters and motorcycles for some time but am brand new to ebiking. Have been interested in taking the plunge for several years now, but have been unsure of which way to go. I have a Trek FSX4 hybrid bike that it is excellent condition and I'm strongly considering converting it. Wondering if you all have any recommendations for a high-quality set-up geared for maximum range. Motor/battery/etc. I also have an old 1992 Diamondback Apex mountain bike I could convert instead. Any thoughts on which bike would be better to use?

Thanks for having me!

Welcome Jet Peddler
Many members here have done conversions so they will have some good info.
I lack the tools, hand strength and patience for it. However this is the link to some reviews of conversion kits.
Please post what you find.

ebikes.ca RTR kits (Ready To Roll) Awsome. Controllers that can run 36V, 48v, and 52V batteries. Sadly the eBike market for parts is hit by HUGE Chinese shutdowns.

Welcome to the forum! and thanks for the mention, @Rome. Definitely agree with @tomjasz on ebikes.ca. I've ordered from them several times with zero complaints. They are a top notch company and I'm using one of their minimal RTR kits now and loving it.

Going DIY can be as simple (bolt-on and go) or complex as you want it to be. If aesthetics are of less concern, ebikes.ca has some RTR kits with their Cycle Analyst that you can kit out with some fairly massive battery sizes + regen braking. I would have loved a regen braking setup for my build but chose a less is more approach. Though I live in a far hillier area than Austin, so regen braking may not matter to you.

The battery costs from Grin (ebikes.ca) aren't cheap but shipping is quick. Em3ev is another reputable battery maker if you don't care to DIY build your battery, though it looks like most of their stuff is out of stock and has been for a long while thanks to the state of the industry/world.

IMHO the Apex would be cool. Try to keep it un-cluttered at the HB. The bag is just a bag. The battery looks a lot like a bottle and you can see the wire from it to the motor. We have hills around here in the San Francisco area.

Attachments

• GTBlue04.JPG
    GTBlue04.JPG
    373 KB · Views: 173
  • GTBlue05.JPG
    GTBlue05.JPG
    362.9 KB · Views: 163
  • GTBlue06.JPG
    GTBlue06.JPG
    441.6 KB · Views: 181
  • DebbieBike.jpeg
    DebbieBike.jpeg
    578.2 KB · Views: 173
  • HoneyGirl4.JPG
    HoneyGirl4.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
IMHO the Apex would be cool. Try to keep it un-cluttered at the HB. The bag is just a bag. The battery looks a lot like a bottle and you can see the wire from it to the motor. We have hills around here in the San Francisco area.
Pedaluma. Are most of your conversions done with middrive motors and is there pedal assist and/or a throttle?

Pedaluma. Are most of your conversions done with middrive motors and is there pedal assist and/or a throttle
Thanks for asking @Taylor57. All of them are mid-drives. Most have torque sensors. Most do not have throttles, because it is in your foot with a torque sensor - like a car it measures pedal pressure - instead of thumb pressure. Some have throttles. Here is one with a throttle and a torque sensor. And then one with a coaster brake and torque sensor without a throttle. And a third without a torque sensor and with a throttle.

Attachments

• FatBoy4 (2).JPG
    FatBoy4 (2).JPG
    463.7 KB · Views: 153
  • CremeUno3e.JPG
    CremeUno3e.JPG
    778.7 KB · Views: 169
  • HDCargo06.JPG
    HDCargo06.JPG
    312.1 KB · Views: 156
Back