New LMT’d - who’s in?

So easier to climb hills with a cadence sensor.

It's the other way around.... The cadence sensor only "sees" the magnets spin, making it not ideal for hills. The Torque sensor "feels" the resistance created by the hill and assists accordingly. The LMT'D is a breeze uphill - I stay seated and don't shift gears... just maintain my pedal input.

I own both styles. The torque requires more work on my part. The cadence only requires moving the pedals and no effort. No contest. They both get you up the hill.

MarkF, if you have to stop part way up a hill for stop sign or whatever reason, is there any difference bewtween the two in trying to get started again? Thanks.

Sand-beige is a better description. Grey is not accurate when describing the color of the Limited model.

The LMT'D is now showing a different display . Quite recently, the LMT'D said, "APT 500C Full Color LCD Display", nothing about being programmable, because I had specifically checked for that, but now it says, "Programmable KD218 Full Color LCD Display". I confirmed this via an archived copy of of the webpage that I wasn't mis-remembering.

For the recent recipients of the LMT'D, they may all have the older APT 500C. LumpyDog posted a video of his new LMT'D, and ThereIsNoTry posted a picture of his, and they both show the older APT 500C, not the programmable KD218 as now shown on the LMT'D product page, today.

The KD218 LCD manual shows that the PAS levels can be individually programmed for the assist ratio. If that indeed works for the LMT'D as well, that would be an additional nice feature that the early recipients of the LMT'D didn't get.

New: https://ride1up.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/700-Series-Display-Manual.pdf

Old: https://ride1up.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/700-Series-LCD-Manual-APT-500c.pdf

Anyone have any additional feedback on this matter?
Kind of surprising to me that Ride1Up would change the display already in a bike that is a new model. I wonder what else is going to be changed.

Kind of surprising to me that Ride1Up would change the display already in a bike that is a new model. I wonder what else is going to be changed.

They did the exact same thing on the 700 - not shocking. They started selling the 700 with the 500C and then transitioned over to the KD218. The KD218 affords a little more control over a few settings that I'm interested in. Mostly current.

BTW, you can buy the KD218 from R1UP and add it to your LMT'd now if you want...

[edit] as of now this is not accurate. The KD218 listed in the site has compatible wiring for the 500 and 700 only. Although - I suspect they will eventually lost one for the LMT’D when the ship the Aug 2020 models.

Last edited:
They did the exact same thing on the 700 - not shocking. They started selling the 700 with the 500C and then transitioned over to the KD218. The KD218 affords a little more control over a few settings that I'm interested in. Mostly current.

BTW, you can buy the KD218 from R1UP and add it to your LMT'd now if you want...
Can you put the 500C or the KD 218 on the 500 model ?

Has anyone received the 2nd gen of the LMT'd? I am curious to know if there are any noticeable differences with the torque sensor lurching with the settings available on the new controller display.

got it. Thanks! I would be interested to hear from buyers getting the second batch of Limited's to see if the controller or display changes the operation of the Torque sensor set-up

Ok, I misunderstood and thought for some reason that there were some of the 2nd batch already shipped in July. I did place my order for the LMTD on this past friday, then I found this thread which has me a bit concerned as far as the torque sensor. My area is not extremely hilly, so it wont server me much in that area, kinda wondering if cadence is my better bet.

That said, I was thinking I may just wait and receive the LMTD before making any decision, as it may be different with the level of settings you can control with the new LCD. It appears that they went back to only 5 PAS settings and may not allow the ability to change to 9 PAS settings - I am fine with that if the percentage settings on each PAS allow me to customize accurately for my needs. FYI, this is my first ebike.

Back