New Juiced Ripcurrent S Fat eBike

@Tora Harris Since you're labeling this the "Ultimate Fat-Tire Commuter E-Bike", I would love to see a tire option for a more street friendly ride than those Juggernauts. Something like the Vee Tire Speedster or the Origin8 Supercell.

I just put some Speedsters on my Biktrix Ultra. I only took it for a short ride but I could tell it's a big improvement. Much quieter and very smooth.

@Tora Harris Since you're labeling this the "Ultimate Fat-Tire Commuter E-Bike", I would love to see a tire option for a more street friendly ride than those Juggernauts. Something like the Vee Tire Speedster or the Origin8 Supercell.

We are busy testing all kinds of tires. If you look carefully you can see them in some of the blog post. In selecting the tire, we must also consider what can actually be obtained from the supply chain, cost and durability. You may be shocked how difficult it is to obtain certain tires. You can always swap to the perfect type that suits your riding style when the first set need to be changed. Later we may put up a section to document which tires we have tried and our findings.

I run the HF1000 on my daily commute. For me the fat bike is like my lifted pick-up truck with off road suspension. It works rather well with a good suspension fork, street tires, and body float seatpost. It’s also my easy bike to ride. On the days that I’m more tired than usual I can get on my HF1000, turn it up to sport and be on my way.

Compare this to my Haibike Trekking that is also a great commuter, but different style of bike. It’s so much more nimble than the HF1000, and the Bosch system is much more refined. Both have pros and cons, but yes you can make a fat bike a great commuter platform.

@hurricane56 I love your analogy. I was thinking a fat-tire bike commuter is like a muscle car on a city street, but the lifted truck fits better.

Yes, I think of the HF1000 as a Ford Raptor, while the Haibike is like a sporty BMW. The fat tires soak up all of the bumps. When I ride over rail road crossings, I don't even feel them with the HF1000. It's the complete opposite with the Trekking, which has an upgraded air fork. Without sounding overly critical of Juiced Bike, the thing that I haven't been happy with is their Mozo air fork. I honestly think they'd be better off using a rigid fork as the Mozo unit on that came on the HF1000 is slow to rebound and difficult to adjust. I ended up just taking the unit off and converting the headtube to use a Rock Shox Bluto.

As far as comparing it to the specs on the RipCurrent, 750w is a good sweet spot for power output. On my commute rides, the power output on the HF1000 display is hovering around 650-750w for about half the ride. If the RipCurrent controller peaks out at over 1000w, a 28-30mph cruise speed should be possible with street tires.

Thats a shame and a mistake in my opinion, made by many OEM’s. That is close to a deal killer for me. It means buyers cannot buy replacements except at inflated rates. I understand you need to make money but when replacement batteries are $700 for 12.5aH and $1000 for 17.5aH...frankly thats just to high. The good news would if the case is constructed like Reention, or Hailong it could be rebuilt. Saving the bacon for me. It is a very nice looking build. Its just hard for a DIY battery guy buying a second.

Actually it is not a mistake. If you notice our new platform is compatible with Reention. It fits right on and we did this very deliberately. So you could in theory call Reention and get a Dorodo Plus case, then have the cells welded with the lithium flavor of your choice and it will work on the bike.

On top of this the connection to the controller is XT60 which is an open standard. So if you ever want to install your own battery pack. It is really easy to do. We very much did not have to make the electronics this accessable. But we want to make sure the bike can be repaired many many years down the road.

We understand the need to do this because our very first product was actually a battery pack for the DIY market in 2009. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12961
Some of them are still running today.

The reason we made our own packs is that we can add many features which cannot fit in the generic OEM battery case such as the GPS or a 45A BMS and 52V (14S configuration). There are also some other reasons which will make sense later.

Actually it is not a mistake. If you notice our new platform is compatible with Reention. It fits right on and we did this very deliberately. So you could in theory call Reention and get a Dorodo Plus case, then have the cells welded with the lithium flavor of your choice and it will work on the bike.

On top of this the connection to the controller is XT60 which is an open standard. So if you ever want to install your own battery pack. It is really easy to do. We very much did not have to make the electronics this accessable. But we want to make sure the bike can be repaired many many years down the road.

We understand the need to do this because our very first product was actually a battery pack for the DIY market in 2009. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12961
Some of them are still running today.

The reason we made our own packs is that we can add many features which cannot fit in the generic OEM battery case such as the GPS or a 45A BMS and 52V (14S configuration). There are also some other reasons which will make sense later.

I did not know this. So does that mean you can buy any Dorado battery and it'll work? I for some reason thought the bike was programmed only to work with a battery direct from Juiced. Does that also apply to the original CC with the different controller?

I did not know this. So does that mean you can buy any Dorado battery and it'll work? I for some reason thought the bike was programmed only to work with a battery direct from Juiced. Does that also apply to the original CC with the different controller?

I guess people for some reason automatically assume that we would lock it out. We have gone out of our way to make the platform as open as possible and still reach our performance targets. By design, the new controller's hardware is backwards compatible all CrossCurrents, RipCurrent and OceanCurrent. The software may have to flashed to match the bike.

I guess people for some reason automatically assume that we would lock it out. We have gone out of our way to make the platform as open as possible and still reach our performance targets. By design, the new controller's hardware is backwards compatible all CrossCurrents, RipCurrent and OceanCurrent. The software may have to flashed to match the bike.

Thanks for clarifying all this.

The reason I questioned was the lack of clarity in previous posts, it presented as an OEM case. A common mistake IMO. That's excellent news. Although all the glitter added to a BMS doesn't excite me. But obviously your marketers know more about what the public will buy. I'm a KISS guy. (keep it simple stupid) Thanks for the enlightening response, WELL DONE!!!
Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 1.33.10 PM.png

I think this discussion just shows what Tora has instillied as a company philosophy at Juiced. He has clearly been very forward thinking, and it seems, doing an excellent job in developing and building bikes that are not going to be obsolete in a few years, and making higher performance attainable at reasonable prices. Keep up the great work. I will be ordering my CCS with the big battery as soon as I get my tax refund.

Fat ebikes probably are one of the better commuting choices for most riders. The big exception would be those wishing to go as fast as reasonably possible. Me, for example.

I really don't know why they wouldn't be. Mine is great in town and it has the ability to absorb potholes and bumps with ease. Plenty of power and speed (Bafang Ultra) and can handle a heavy load without any problems.
Well if the tires are pumped up to the max with the smallest possible contact... i guess th3 resistance can b3 reduced. My FB tires have far more resistance than my 2.35” tires at max pressure. Thes3 day# folks with electric bikes seem less concerned about tire resistance but my 2” tire bike at max pressure is my fastest with all the same motor. YMMV

Fat ebikes probably are one of the better commuting choices for most riders. The big exception would be those wishing to go as fast as reasonably possible. Me, for example.
I’m dissapointed in the geometry of all FB’s I’ve ridden, but these days eBikes for many are more moped than bike.

Back