New Juiced Ripcurrent S Fat eBike

Greetings, I am a new member and looking a Juiced bike to add a new dimension of enjoyment to my retirement. I expect to be riding lots of paved and unpaved bike trails and also hauling groceries. I am very interested in the RipCurrent S but have no experience with fat tire bikes. Any insights or comments would be apprecaited. My wife will get the Ocean Current but I keep coming back to the RipCurrent S.
Greetings from another retired guy -- 4 months and counting -- getting a bike for my wife and I was definitely part of the plan and it was a great purchase for us! We both feel better, enjoy riding together, feel good about riding instead of using the car, etc.

Can't answer your question about the RipCurrent specifically but let me share a couple of data points that might help. I have the Crosscurrent S, with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, 45mm (1.77 inch) width. My wife's Pedego City Cruiser has Schwalbe Fat Frank tires, 2.35 in. width. Both of these tires work well on pavement, grass, groomed trails (gravel or dirt.) Neither is going to have the off-road capability of the tires on the RCS you're thinking about. Please note that the RCS is not being marketed as an off-roader by Juiced Bikes. I'm guessing that what you mean by paved and unpaved bike trails does not refer to bushwhacking but to what I meant when I said "groomed trails." If you can make some useful sense out of all that, good on ya. :cool:

I don’t see the point. But I am certain there would be a difference, but still an uncomfortable position for old bones.

I felt the exact same way about fat bikes until I rode a Bosch powered one. Though I thought it was underpowered, it was an eye opener. With the Biktrix Ultra, it has all the torque I would ever need. With the 26x3.5 street tires, it has a super smooth ride around town. Next week, I'm swapping out the fork for a rigid. I don't think there's any advantage on streets with the the Mozo fork. Here it is stripped down.

Attachments

• _DSC1680.jpg
    _DSC1680.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 400
I don’t see the point. But I am certain there would be a difference, but still an uncomfortable position for old bones.

Coming from an aluminum road bike to the CCS which I just got, I can't quite fathom the appeal of the fatbike. The CCS is already a little difficult to maneuver when parking and bringing indoors and such. I guess when you strap a motor onto something, you have more margin to do silly things (see dudes driving full size pickups with an empty bed 24/7). The CCS already feels like a couch to me.

I guess I'll be a hater until I try one :). Any idea of the energy usage of these, e.g. 10-20% more watts per mile vs the CCS?

I think of them as a powerful truck. I can load the baskets with 50 lbs and I can't even feel it. I'd love to try the Hyperfat.

I felt the exact same way about fat bikes until I rode a Bosch powered one. Though I thought it was underpowered, it was an eye opener. With the Biktrix Ultra, it has all the torque I would ever need. With the 26x3.5 street tires, it has a super smooth ride around town. Next week, I'm swapping out the fork for a rigid. I don't think there's any advantage on streets with the the Mozo fork. Here it is stripped down.
Roshan did a very good job with that bike, but I expect good things from him. The geometry looks better than many others. In the end it's all about fit and position. I just can't justify the expense of a fatty. I'm so glad you're a good fit! And I respect the differing opinion. But AGAIN, I think Roshan put more thought into his bikes than many other OEM's, regardless if they're many times over bigger. Thanks for the picture! IF I wren't a builder I'd put Biktrix bikes at the TOP of my list. One of the best sellers in the market. low bullshit, high support!

Hadn't seen Biktrix before. First direct to consumer brand I've seen that is roughly competitive with Juiced. Their bikes are a bit more but they're also mid drive which is supposed to be better.

Biktrix also has great battery prices, $700 for 20ah vs Juiced's $900 for 19ah. Maybe Juiced will match them by the time I need a new battery :) They wouldn't fit on a Juiced, would they? They look similar but I'm assuming the housing is proprietary.

I totally see the point of fat bikes if you also use it off road. Looking forward to trying one out.

Hadn't seen Biktrix before. First direct to consumer brand I've seen that is roughly competitive with Juiced. Their bikes are a bit more but they're also mid drive which is supposed to be better.

Biktrix also has great battery prices, $700 for 20ah vs Juiced's $900 for 19ah. Maybe Juiced will match them by the time I need a new battery :) They wouldn't fit on a Juiced, would they? They look similar but I'm assuming the housing is proprietary.

I totally see the point of fat bikes if you also use it off road. Looking forward to trying one out.
I don't think many cases are proprietary, at least not with the smaller OEM's. That said I've never searched for juiced cases. Maybe they are special, but the cost of doing that is quite high. Making most based on at least a common base. A tough sort, but it's possible...lots of good companies misrepresent their accoutrements as special when they aren't. A few hours on Aliexpress and their home site MIGHT reveal the facts. OR I could be completely full of it...VBG

BTW Roshan hs been around for quite awhile. A really good fella, still small enough to care and big enough for good pricing. (I don't rep his products, but go to him for opinions and advice)

I don't think many cases are proprietary, at least not with the smaller OEM's. That said I've never searched for juiced cases. Maybe they are special, but the cost of doing that is quite high. Making most based on at least a common base. A tough sort, but it's possible...lots of good companies misrepresent t.h eir accoutrements as special when ㅡ .they aren'ㅍ. .

.. .ㅏ. ㅓㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜ.... ㅓt. A few hours on Aliexpress and their home site MIGHT m bbㅍ, 프ㅑ.ㅜㅜ
reveal the facts. OR Iㅕ 프ㅡㅏ. uldㅛㅕㅕ be completely full t

Mkmvv jt...VBG

Try one with street tires. Big difference.
ㅜ ㅡㅜㅠ ㅏ
ㅏ.ㅍ k
.ㅓ
Vvvvvv
. .ㅡㅡㅜ.ㅜㅡㅜ..ㅜ..ㅜ[QUO

TE="TForan, post: 126543, member: 16284"]Pretty hard to judge if you haven't ridden them. Also, The Ultra needs a custom frame unless you're be handy with a welder.[/QUOTE]

Don’t forget the added weight of a fat bike. The Rip Current S is around 20lbs. heavier than the Cross Current S (which is no featherweight.) For me, once you add a suspension seatpost to the Cross Current and drop the tire pressures down to a reasonable level the ride is pretty good over bumps on pavement. I do think you should buy whatever bike appeals to you. I am certainly not opposed to somebody just saying “fat bikes look cooler” as a reason for getting one. Also, the fat bike can handle mixed-surface riding much better than the Cross Current.

Andrew at Schwalbe USA says the world wide fat bike market is dead so they’re not developing any more fat bike tires. What a mistake! They felt fat bikes were a trend, but left out the emerging fat ebike market, hence, there will be no Schwalbe street / trail tires developed. I bought a set of Vee Rubber 26 x 3.5 road tires for my RCS. If the bike ever shows up, I will make a few road trips with the Kendas then Likely switch over to the Vee Rubber Speedsters.

Andrew at Schwalbe USA says the world wide fat bike market is dead so they’re not developing any more fat bike tires. What a mistake! They felt fat bikes were a trend, but left out the emerging fat ebike market, hence, there will be no Schwalbe street / trail tires developed. I bought a set of Vee Rubber 26 x 3.5 road tires for my RCS. If the bike ever shows up, I will make a few road trips with the Kendas then Likely switch over to the Vee Rubber Speedsters.
You may want to look at the Origin8 Supercell tires.

Back