New Delite Mountain Rohloff E14 issue..

No, I’m speaking to them about it today. They‘re pretty shocked that the bike got to them like that but they too should have picked it up before I got to it and I’m pretty sure that they know that!

They apologised but are stumped by the fault. They’ll be taking it up with R+M as to why this wasn’t spotted earlier on pre-delivery check where it could have been rectified a lot easier at the factory. Anyway, should have it back in a few days, with a new motor.

Great, although they have used R&M as a scapegoat - this whole situation smells fishy to me. I don’t know of any vehicle brands that are tested at the factory before delivery. By way of example my new AMG Merc was delivered to me with 30km on the clock after the dealer took it for a pre delivery drive. No miles put on it by Merc before it left their factory. Your dealer was supposed to have done the same.

The main thing is it is being fixed pronto and hopefully we will see posts from you with smiles for miles. Just be aware your Rohloff and motor are still going to be generating noise, especially in gears 5-7. It gets better with use.

The Enviolo Vario option is quieter across the whole gear range but can’t climb very steep slopes like the Rohloff does.

Great, although they have used R&M as a scapegoat - this whole situation smells fishy to me. I don’t know of any vehicle brands that are tested at the factory before delivery. By way of example my new AMG Merc was delivered to me with 30km on the clock after the dealer took it for a pre delivery drive. No miles put on it by Merc before it left their factory. Your dealer was supposed to have done the same.
Issues don't always present themselves in the first 4-8mi which is about the length of a test-ride for most shops. This is the primary reason the first tune-up is recommended at 300mi while every subsequent tune-up is spaced out in 1,250mi increments.

I don't know of a single bike shop that doesn't test-ride their bike builds before handing them off as that would mean handing a bike to a customer without bedded brakes for one...

Last edited:

The main thing is it is being fixed pronto and hopefully we will see posts from you with smiles for miles. Just be aware your Rohloff and motor are still going to be generating noise, especially in gears 5-7. It gets better with use.

The Enviolo Vario option is quieter across the whole gear range but can’t climb very steep slopes like the Rohloff does.
Re your Merc, this is because your Merc’s engine would have been tested on the bench prior to assembly, just like my 911’s engine was, and then fitted into the car when it had passed all the tests.

Re your Merc, this is because your Merc’s engine would have been tested on the bench prior to assembly, just like my 911’s engine was, and then fitted into the car when it had passed all the tests.
Possibly. I don’t really know. The point I was making was that your LBS should have picked it up on their test ride. I still find it difficult them saying that they couldn’t believe R&M sending it in the state it was in. Why didn’t they pick it up before you did if it was that bad?

Now taking on board JVB’s comment above regarding faults sometimes taking a while to manifest (bearing in mind he is a bike mechanic working in a R&M dealership and in the know) and, giving your LBS the benefit of the doubt, If your LBS didn’t pick it up on their test ride under these circumstances, how could R&M have done any better?

If everything is as it is presented, either no one is to blame because the fault occurred when you took the bike for a ride, or the buck stops with your LBS.

I think I have made my point clear enough to conclude my involvement in this thread.

Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

I think the issue here was that the LBS are a city centre store so even when they took the bike out, they probably didn't hear it as it's only audible when things are quiet. No way would you hear any of this in traffic!
Anyway, will be sorted out in the next few days and am looking forward to some decent rides rather than being annoyed at the noise!

I just took my Multicharger out yesterday and after going back to past videos, I am convinced the motor has gotten quieter. For me it's OK.

I just took my Multicharger out yesterday and after going back to past videos, I am convinced the motor has gotten quieter. For me it's OK.
Some of you already know this: I filled a bike's frame with Great Stuff. That made it quiet.

Hey that's new....filling the frame with Great Stuff made it quiet. It is like expanding foam or what is this stuff? The one problem I can see with my Multicharger is the large downtime actually holds the 625 watt battery. Nowhere to put stuff, I think.

When I did it to quiet that Yuba Mundo, Great Stuff shot out of the little breathing holes in the frame on onto the rear disc. 🤣

The third Horror Show is a bike I am working on now. This is what happens to your R&M when it goes to Burning Man! The powdered grit there is composed of caustic salts with bacteria that feed on metals. 5,000 bikes were abandoned there in 2019 because they rot before your eyes, instantly turning into useless garbage
When the Burning Horror is finished I will convert the orange bike to electric.

Attachments

• GreatStuff01.JPG
    GreatStuff01.JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 181
  • GreatStuff03.JPG
    GreatStuff03.JPG
    274.1 KB · Views: 187
  • burnerbike01.JPG
    burnerbike01.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 180
  • SpicyCurry01.JPG
    SpicyCurry01.JPG
    349.7 KB · Views: 198
Some of you already know this: I filled a bike's frame with Great Stuff. That made it quiet.
R&M's have internal Y battery cables, brake lines, Rohloff cables, rear light cables, this could make it very difficult to diagnose & replace any of these.
But it would drastically reduce any resonance in the frame.

That noise would be driving me crazy. Theres no way this is acceptable and i agree with you that you should not be putting up with this, whatever the source of the problem is. If this is the standard Rohloff / bosch sound, i would return the bike as fast as i could.
Its 8K Euros !!!!
PS: ive owned a Superdelite with standard derailleur and bosch gen 4 motor, and while noisy it was never that loud.

Back