New CREOs just Dropped!

Jack Cox

Pretty radically different than the previous model - not just a re-motor job. The road boost is gone, the geometry has changed, and they are all gavel now. +1 for the fork bottle mounts - stoked on that!

Nice review from dave Arthur:

Interesting remote button placement. (4:00)

1695757048535.png

Looks like Specialized has moved away from a pure road bike to a gravel bike configuration (47mm tires and dropper seat post and a more gravel friendly frame).

I like and will seriously consider buying one if the price isn't too crazy over the top. The 47mm is larger than my current analog Diverge gravel bike which I enjoy.

I do wonder how much this will appeal to pure paved/street riders. Gravel bike fans should be all over this.

And if I lived somewhere as flat as you I'd stick to my trusty Salsa Vaya. Most comfortable, long rides, go anywhere bike I've ever owned!
I only wonder whether a Diverge E5 Comp Evo would allow me climbing an 8.6% incline :) If yes, then I'm sold! :D

I only wonder whether a Diverge E5 Comp Evo would allow me climbing an 8.6% incline :) If yes, then I'm sold! :D
It would certainly be lighter then my 28lbs Vaya! But that's why I have a triple chainring on the front and I'm happy to stop and admire the views halfway up the hill. And why I also have the Vado SL.

It would certainly be lighter then my 28lbs Vaya! But that's why I have a triple chainring on the front and I'm happy to stop and admire the views halfway up the hill. And why I also have the Vado SL.
To be honest, Rás, I had some issue to negotiate that very climb on last Sunday on my Vado SL with 44-36T gearing in Turbo as my legs were tired (replacing the drivetrain for the first gear of 42-42T soon). The 24 lb Diverge E5 Expert EVO is 38-50T but I would be demo riding the Comp, the lowest gear of which is not that favourable! We'll see! 😊

To be honest, Rás, I had some issue to negotiate that very climb on last Sunday on my Vado SL with 44-36T gearing in Turbo as my legs were tired (replacing the drivetrain for the first gear of 42-42T soon). The 24 lb Diverge E5 Expert EVO is 38-50T but I would be demo riding the Comp, the lowest gear of which is not that favourable! We'll see! 😊
Gearing is hard to get right. I dream of the day where when you order a new bike you can simply specify what chainring and cassette size you pick. After a lot of experimentation I've got all three of my bikes where they work with the steep hills here, lowest gears: Vado SL 38-46T Salsa Vaya 22-34T (Triple 22-32-44 & 11-34 8 speed cassette) and my rigid 26er MTB with similar triple 24-36T 8 speed. Each bike needed new cassettes or chainrings after I bought it. The triple is now not well liked in the industry and yes there are a lot of redundant gears but it's still fantastic for giving me plenty of options. I do have to be careful dropping down to the smallest chainring on both bikes with triples, as the front derailleur can be a bit hit or miss no matter how much I adjust so I can see the advantage of the surefire simplicity of a 1x set up. But for me, and where I live, and my fitness level I think most gravel bikes are over geared or rather have too high a gearing set up for riding off road. But that might just be an old mountainbiker talking.

Stefan. I have 42 to 42 on my Creo and it copes with 20% climb with relative ease. Recommended by me

Yes but the Diverge has no motor :D
I know you want to try an ‘ordinary’ bike & have your heart set on a Diverge since you tried one. But you might soon get a good deal on either a used creo 1 or a discounted one from Specialized once the Creo 2’s take over and then you’ll have a bike that can do many things for you. The 1.1 motor you are used to already & like and it will easily cope with whatever small hills you have.

I know you want to try an ‘ordinary’ bike & have your heart set on a Diverge since you tried one. But you might soon get a good deal on either a used creo 1 or a discounted one from Specialized once the Creo 2’s take over and then you’ll have a bike that can do many things for you. The 1.1 motor you are used to already & like and it will easily cope with whatever small hills you have.
The issue Ras is I have already tried the Creo and I went back from the demo ride of 56 km (34 mi) in pain. The drop bars are not good for me! I need a flat bar gravel e-bike, and well, I own a Vado SL :) One of the reasons of being interested in the flat bar Diverge is taking part in a 100+ km gravel race next year. I will probably be the last on the finish line but it is worth trying. Honestly, the Diverge EVO handles in rough terrain as a dream...

Besides, my brother demo rode two Marin gravel bikes today: a flat bar and a drop bar ones. He loved the flat bar version (he has back issues) and said that even if the drop bar version was a speed demon on the pavement, he would choose the flat bar Marin DSX 1 for the ride comfort and rough terrain handling. (He is in the position to buy a brand new Marin bike at half price).

Back