wall92

Ive tried researching them the last few days but there's too much out there and its honestly made it a bit more confusing than when I started looking. I apologize for the lack of specifics I am providing, but I am not too picky. Just want to make sure I get the best value.

I would like to get an Ebike that I can ride around town (some city, some suburb), but if I could get something that could ALSO handle some mountain riding that would be awesome (but not a deal-breaker).

Im looking at something around $1k-2k (although I can only justify the 2k if it has tremendous value).

I would like to find something that looks similar to the: VoltBike Enduro, Surface 604 Shred, and possibly the RadRover (however I don't know enough if the fat tires are make sense for city streets).

Thank you in advance!

A little more information would be helpful. What is the climate in your area? What is the condition of the roads? Rough roads mean you would want something that will smothe out the ride a little, fat tires or full suspension. Bad weather riding will decide your choice of also. Biking in Northern New York is different then in Southern Fla. I own a Yukon750 Lt from VoltBike and love it. It gets me where I wnat to go in all kinds of weather and over some pot hole filled streets.

Thanks for the feedback! Im in Kansas City, so moderate climate. Good roads for the most part however potholes in the city and surrounding areas are definitely something id like to take into account.

Buying a bike that is supported by a local shop can help one through problems in the warrenty period. You cannot ship a battery back to the factory, for example. Boxing up an internet bought bike Is beyond most user's capabilites.
Sizing the frame to your body is something that is also best done in a store. Some salesmen will talk you into a frame that is not suitable for you. The ability to ride in a posture you are used to, the ability to put toes on the ground when stopped, are important. Warning the warrenty program of mega-discount centers is no better than buying direct off the internet, IMHO. You're given the phone # of a lady who will talk to you about your problem. Swapping parts and sending in the old ones is up to you.
The distance you choose to ride tells you how much battery you need to buy. Batteries are rated in AH, the higher number the farther you can go.
I've found owners of fat tire bikes have chased me down to inquire about whether I had seen their stolen bike. They are hot right now. People have reported difficulty in changing fat tire tubes themselves on the road, also.
I've found the performance of rim brakes in the rain waaay below the performance of the newer disk brakes. Even mechanical disk brakes stop adequately in the rain, IMHO.
You'd have to travel to the Flint hills or southern Missouri to find any hills that would require more than a 500 w bike motor.
Court used to have a box on the main page with names of local stores keyed to your zip code, but if not working either search engine should be able to find them for you.

Last edited:
I agree with Indianajo on buying from a local shop. I also recommend getting a bike that has parts AND LABOR coverage in the warranty, unless you are handy or like paying for labor if something breaks during the warranty period (we love our ebikes two year parts & labor warranties, and no-questions-asked warranty support. My husband had a major issue on his bike. Minor issue on my bike (what WAS that minor issue? It has slipped my mind), with lovely loaner ebikes during repairs (at the shop's discretion so not always available, but we've been fortunate!) My ebike is kind of like .... my right arm ... so hate to be without it. If I have to commute by car or on a bus it is like cruel and unusual punishment. Local shops are also a great place to get educated both by trying bikes and hearing what they have to say about various features, and then figuring out which of those features matter to YOU.

Happy shopping!

Thanks for the help, everyone.
Unfortunately I don't have any e-bike stores within about 150 miles of me and it will be awhile before I head out that way. The only three in KC are only wholesalers for trek, and I don't want to be limited by one brand (plus they seem more expensive).

The consensus among this group seems to be that It wouldn't be wise to make a purchase online without checking them out in person. Considering my situation, can anyone suggest a manufacturer that is the most reputable for both quality and warranty offerings?

I am biased because I have one. However, in another thread, I mentioned I probably would not get one again. Look at E-Glide. Honestly, the bike is perfectly fine. It has quality parts and is a quality build. What you want the bike to do is not what I want to do. The E-Glide is built for the street and to go off road. I would not call it a full on mountain bike, but it's more than capable. My needs, and this is why I would probably not get it again, is that I am 100% on the street. I am on an 8 lane road 95% of the trip and it has a nice bike lane. So for me, something that is 100% for the street is better.

The E-glide has front suspension that you can adjust. On the handlebar you can turn it off. It has seat suspension. It has a comfy seat that breathes! It has handlebars that are more straight than pulled back.

We got the bike with the Schwalbe Mondail tires. Those tires should give you an idea of the terrain that it can handle.

Court did a review on the bike and in the e-glide thread, you can see what a group of guys did with it.

The major complaint that people have and honestly, it is minor is that the range could be further because the bike has a 11amp battery. Now, one thing that you didn't mention was your commute time. We got two of these bikes, one for me, one for my wife. Lately I have been lazy and keeping it in the highest pedal assist (means it eats more battery) My commute is roughly 10-11 miles with a change of elevation of about 400 feet. As I mentioned, it's all road. So it is pretty much hauling butt. I tend to go three to four trips before I charge. The battery indicator shows it in increments of 20% and I have never run dry. My wifes commute is 20 miles round trip with about the same elevation change. She charges every other time. She rides a LOT slower than I do. I average a little more than 20mph. She averages 15mph.

The steps that we took when looking at bikes was simple. We built what we felt was needed.

1. Front suspension.
2. Throttle.
3. Comfortable.
4. Would meet our commute plus a little more if we wanted to go other places.

I was indifferent if it had a hub motor or mid-drive. I was indifferent if it had a chain or belt. I was indifferent into how it was geared.
I test drove a R&M Charger GT Vario HS. It was a mid-drive with a belt. It had no throttle. It had a variable electronic gear. It had suspension forks. OMG that bike is awesome. However, it was also over $6,300. The E-Glide is $1700. That bike made me realize I didn't need a throttle. I wanted the throttle for red-lights and stop signs. I just wanted to cross quickly. The R&M handled that with no problem without a throttle.

I test drove a RadCity. The bike hit all the four points, but it was slow. It was also not quick. The throttle was weak.

The E-Glide compared to the R&M. Well, the R&M is built better. You can tell it's german :) The E-Glide is not a POS by any means, but the R&M, you can see why that bike is over 6k. I also think that the E-Glide is faster than the R&M. The E-Glide compared to the Rad. Well, the Rad has one major thing going for it that I have yet to see anywhere else. Rad has a FULL line of accessories that fit. Getting things to fit on other bikes . . . sort of hit and miss. The Rad was terrible with the throttle compared to E-Glide. The Rad also was slower than the E-Glide. The Rad was more comfortable because we were on the step-thru which has 45 degree handlebars. You sit pretty straight up and just cruise.

So after all of this long rant. If I were in your shoes. I'd make sure I knew what I wanted my bike to do, what the range requirements are. You will not be able to get a bike that is strong in everything. That would be the jack of all trades, master of none. Then I would choose.

You can also pick up the phone and call David @ E-Glide. The guy is honest and sincere. Tell him what you want to do and he will tell you if the bike is for you or not. He seriously is awesome to deal with. If you watch the videos that Court did with him, that is who he is. Just super mellow and pleasant to deal with.

David gave some great info in that post

I think most of the bikes in your list are pretty good, interesting to hear david thought the radcity was slower, i have never ridden one
Think the radrover will be programmed faster than the city, meaning as far as quicker take off speed

Nothing wrong with fat tires for commuting etc but the bikes tend to be a little heavier and a little less nimble than smaller tires
They will smooth out bad roads for you

Rad power tends to have good customer service if needed, but i do think you will pay for labor if parts need swapping- unless you do it yourself

I just wanted to add one more thing.

You actually want to be picky. My belief on this is because you are spending YOUR money on an item. If it doesn't do what you want it to do it just becomes a place to hang clothes in your house. So be picky :) Figure out what you want to do so that you have a bike that you will actually use!

This is a trail near where I live. The E-Glide can handle this. I am seriously considering trying this trail :)

dave

Whatever brand you buy, you might be well served by first checking the section of this forum on Brand Specific Issues. I did that and changed my mind about several brands of bike I was considering when I saw that folks were having repetitive issues with certain bikes. (Forums>General Bike Forums>Discussion by Brands & User Reviews)

Ive tried researching them the last few days but there's too much out there and its honestly made it a bit more confusing than when I started looking. I apologize for the lack of specifics I am providing, but I am not too picky. Just want to make sure I get the best value.

I would like to get an Ebike that I can ride around town (some city, some suburb), but if I could get something that could ALSO handle some mountain riding that would be awesome (but not a deal-breaker).

Im looking at something around $1k-2k (although I can only justify the 2k if it has tremendous value).

I would like to find something that looks similar to the: VoltBike Enduro, Surface 604 Shred, and possibly the RadRover (however I don't know enough if the fat tires are make sense for city streets).

Thank you in advance!

You're not going to get much quality for 1K.

For 2k, this is a great deal. It has a Bafang Motor, throttle and has more power than the bikes you listed. Can go like 35 MPH. Has integrated lights and internally routed cables.

Otherwise, just get a used MTB on Craigs and build it. You'll get the most value and power like that.

But for pre-built bikes, Biktrix is pretty good value. Luna Cycles also has some options in that price range.

https://www.biktrix.com/collections/bikes/products/biktrix-juggernaut-classic-original

Magnum has a Ui5 for $1400 this week. 17" frame if that fits you, 350 w 36 v battery . Rear geared hub drive, my favorite type motor.

Whatever brand you buy, you might be well served by first checking the section of this forum on Brand Specific Issues. I did that and changed my mind about several brands of bike I was considering when I saw that folks were having repetitive issues with certain bikes.

Flash, I'm glad you found these forums useful. :)

A small caveat, shared with the kindest of intentions...a bike with a lot posts related to problems may be a bike with higher volume sales. I think these threads are most useful for us bike owners to get information from other owners, but they can't be counted on to provide representative information about a particular bike in terms of how often that bike has problems.

Flash, I'm glad you found these forums useful. :)

A small caveat, shared with the kindest of intentions...a bike with a lot posts related to problems may be a bike with higher volume sales. I think these threads are most useful for us bike owners to get information from other owners, but they can't be counted on to provide representative information about a particular bike in terms of how often that bike has problems.

I appreciate your comments, one always has to be discerning when reading reviews and comments from consumers. But when you see a group of riders complaining about a bike they have purchased and they have experienced instances breaking the bike's spokes and then you read that the company has begun shipping extra spokes with their bikes, it might be time to look elsewhere.;)

I used to regularly ride long distance,100 plus mile rides almost every week with a club. Everyone rode super light racers and everyone broke spokes. With the weight of Ebikes there will be broken spokes.

I used to regularly ride long distance,100 plus mile rides almost every week with a club. Everyone rode super light racers and everyone broke spokes. With the weight of Ebikes there will be broken spokes.
Nope. Sorry. Weight of the ebike has nothing to do with breaking spokes. First of all they are under tension, meaning they are stretched between rim and hub. Second, you can have riders weigh between 90 and 300 lbs, and the 90 lb rider could have a spoke break just as often as someone weighing 300 lbs. Third, the ebike weighs maybe 50 to 60 lbs, where regular bikes weigh around 25 to 30lbs. So another 10 to 30 lbs is a lot less of a difference than the weight difference between various riders.

What leads to broken spokes is the following:
1) Improperly tensioned spokes, meaning not evenly tensioned within a few percent all the way around the rim, taking into account the drive side will have a different tension spec than the non drive side spokes.
2) Rim that is out of true from the factory, and they tensioned it to make it 'go to true', when the rim should have been replaced rather than used at all
3) Poorly machined hub flange holes
4) Poorly spec'd or ill fitting nipples at the rim
5) improperly spec'd rim (lots of really cheap rims out there, or rims made with inherent flaws.)
6) very cheap spokes commonly found on ebikes that are in the $600 or less range you'd buy on Amazon

Wall92 is experiencing what many first time ebike searchers experience. There are more than 100 brands, and many models within brands, and a lot of very overpriced brands, and some very low priced brands not even worth considering. Staying between $1500 and $2000 gives plenty of choices, for good quality, and the riding situation expressed is not a lot different than what many first time ebike riders seek that come into my shop looking. If it helps:
1) Rule out mid drives when looking in that price range. They automatically add $600 to $1000 if you have a mid drive instead of a hub on the same bike.
2) A 500 watt motor, and 48 volt battery with at least 13 amphours, and a torque rating of at least 50 nm (newton meters) will get you where you need to go, even with hills, as long as you weigh less than 250 lbs.
3) You don't always need shocks, and getting 2" wide 'balloon style tires' can help soften the ride, but know that shocks add both weight, and a fair amount of cost for anything that is decent enough to consider its merits. Unless your roads are littered with potholes, and trails super bumpy, you can probably get away with no shocks, and maybe even just add an NCX suspension seat post and be quite comfortable over most terrain that is not super bumpy.
4) A frame integrated battery in the downtube, allows for a bit better weight balance from front to back, if you have a rear hub drive ebike, which many in this price range are rear hub drives. It also has a lower center of gravity than a battery over the rear tire, mounted in a built on rack.
5) An adjustable stem, even tool-less, can be a decent feature to have, especially if the model you are looking at, is a 'one size fits many', and there are no multiple frame sizes in the model you are evaluating.
6) Other than the above, mechanical disc brakes are just fine, and hydraulic disc brakes usually add about $150 to the same equivalent bike versus mechanical disc brakes (at the retail level).

The rest is more personal preference:
Do you really need/want front and rear lights that are integrated, meaning they are powered by the on board battery ?
Do you really want/need a frame integrated rack, and fenders, or are you ok with buying from dozens of aftermarket available options ?
Do you want swept back handlebars, or more wider style straight across handle bars , like those used more by mountain bikers ?
Do you want straight up posture, or moderate lean forward ?
Do you want pedal forward design, that allows more for your feet to be flat on the ground while seated, or is a standard design ok, where you'll probably be tippy toeing, or only be able to put one foot on the ground while seated ?
Are you ok with 7 or 8 or 9 speeds, or do you want a multiple front chain ring design that can get you up to 24 speeds ?
Do you want smooth tires, knobby tires, or very balloon style tires or something that is a hybrid where it has a smooth bead down the middle for pavement, and knobs more on the sides for occasional trail use and some better grip in turns ?

Brands that offer one or more good quality models in your price range will be in no particular order:
Aventon
Blix
Raleigh
IZip
Rad (on line only)
Juiced (on line only)
Magnum
BagiBike
BESV
BH (Formerly Easy Motion)

Brands that won't be in your price range, and there are many more than I am listing here, but these are just a few you can quickly rule out:

Yamaha
Stromer
Trek & Electra
Riese&Mueller
Benno
Gazelle
Haibike (unless serious discounts which does happen a lot)
Specialized
Electric Bike Co
Pedego
Bulls
Evelo (on line only)
Giant

Unless otherwise noted, all of the above brands do have dealers, though some networks are larger than others.

Someone is bound to chime in, and say 'hey you missed brand x or brand y'. Yep I probably did. Part of the reason is to help you narrow your search, and there is a 90% chance you'll find exactly what you need and want from the above brands listed in the first category which is in your price range.

Last edited by a moderator:
2) A 500 watt motor, and 48 volt battery with at least 13 amphours, and a torque rating of at least 50 nm (newton meters) will get you where you need to go, even with hills, as long as you weigh less than 250 lbs.
O.P. is in Kansas City, ie flat flat flat. 350 W is fine unless he gets 70 miles away in Flint Hills.
Otherwise great review.

Do you mean climbing capability or off-road ? Because for a good emtb you will need good suspension fork and good mid-drive motor also a high end drivetrain. Those e-bikes are over 2K.

If you want an e-bike which can handle hills with reliable mid drive motor can be bought for less than 2K (Ariel Rider C-Class can be a good fit for this one)
and you can buy a hub motor with good suspension fork for less than 2k too. (Magnum has some good models).

If you can tell me which one you want I can give some advice.

Back