New Bafang Ultra - 1000W Torque sensored motor!

I have tried this on a Frey hardtail fatbike. Also, I have an Ultra just lying around separately, no idea what to do with it.
I'm aware of the above video, annoyingly enough the motor doesn't even come with this cable when you buy it as a kit.
My main issue is with the smoothness of the travel as well as the fact that the voltage meter is clearly of low quality, and as a result the remaining battery reading is basically all over the place, very unreliable!

I've seen a few complaints now from guys with Frey bikes and their Ultra motors being poorly tuned/configured.

I've also got a Biktrix Ultra and it has none of these issues, the throttle and torque/PAS are very well configured and it rides like a dream, it's by far the most intuitive and natural ebike I've ever ridden (I rode a lot of pedal bikes for years before ebikes and have some high standards for cycling as a result).

It really does come down to the programming being optimized, there is a learning curve and it's up to the bike supplier or the customer to do it right (preferably the supplier!)

oh okay, anyways I think Bafang is popular among custom ebike builders.

People are boosting up 2500W, 3000W, whatever.
Try that with Yamaha, Bosch, Shimano, Brose, etc.. I bet the motor will fry right away.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=95671

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=78681

https://electricbike-blog.com/2018/...sing-full-susp-10sp-ebike-2805-w-out-battery/

3000W is really pushing it for this motor. I suggest 2500W is the absolute reasonable limit for the Ultra motor, if you push it further you risk premature wear out on the bearings and the stator windings/insulation due to big temperature spikes. HPC and Luna have found this out the hard way. I wholeheartedly support pushing this awesome motor to 2000-2500W zone tho!

I've seen a few complaints now from guys with Frey bikes and their Ultra motors being poorly tuned/configured.

I've also got a Biktrix Ultra and it has none of these issues, the throttle and torque/PAS are very well configured and it rides like a dream, it's by far the most intuitive and natural ebike I've ever ridden (I rode a lot of pedal bikes for years before ebikes and have some high standards for cycling as a result).

It really does come down to the programming being optimized, there is a learning curve and it's up to the bike supplier or the customer to do it right (preferably the supplier!)

I agree completely. Zero complaints and it has all the smooth power I need.

People are boosting up 2500W, 3000W, whatever.
Try that with Yamaha, Bosch, Shimano, Brose, etc.. I bet the motor will fry right away.

That is because Yamaha, Bosch, Brose create motors for legal EU standards of 250W.
All of those companies are capable of building a 5000w motor that will be superior to Bafang but that is not their target market.

That is because Yamaha, Bosch, Brose create motors for legal EU standards of 250W.
All of those companies are capable of building a 5000w motor that will be superior to Bafang but that is not their target market.

Why should people in the USA have to buy EU standard bikes ? I rode a Trek with the Bosch and it was a nice bike but very underpowered.

Why should people in the USA have to buy EU standard bikes ? I rode a Trek with the Bosch and it was a nice bike but very underpowered.
In what respect is the Bosch motor underpowered? Was it the CX motor? There is not a hill I can”t climb with the Bosch CX motor. I’ve rode a few Bafang mid-drivers and they do have power but the transfer of power seemed crude. I weigh 200 pounds and the bike is 60 pounds, if you are pushing over 350 pounds maybe the Ultra is for you.

In what respect is the Bosch motor underpowered? Was it the CX motor? There is not a hill I can”t climb with the Bosch CX motor. I’ve rode a few Bafang mid-drivers and they do have power but the transfer of power seemed crude. I weigh 200 pounds and the bike is 60 pounds, if you are pushing over 350 pounds maybe the Ultra is for you.

Whatever was in the Trek Commuter. I'm 6' 1" 180, big boy. :) Nothing crude about the Ultra. Smooth and powerful. Have you ridden one ? I'm guessing no.

Nothing crude about the Ultra. Smooth and powerful.

It really depends who programmed it though. Bosch will always be smooth because they have their settings locked down tight... good for mass market, bad for high performance or enthusiasts. A well tuned Ultra motor is definitely kickass though. As we know from experience, Biktrix tunes their Ultra motors very well.

Last edited:
It really depends who programmed it though. Bosch will always be smooth because they have their settings locked down tight... good for mass market, bad for high performance or enthusiasts. A well tuned Ultra motor is definitely kickass though. As we know from experience, Biktrix tunes their Ultra motors very well.

I didn't know Biktrix had their own proprietary tuning. Works for me !

OK I just ordered the programming cable, should be useful for both my friend and my own boxed Ultra, too.

Does anyone know of any location on the web where one can find a 'good' set of settings for Ultra? I want it to act the same as a Yamaha, ideally.

Deafcat, your high standards for cycling added to your knowledge on the Jugg Ultra 1000 has kept me fully engrossed. Keep up the good work. You educate me mo & mo each day.

Back