New Bafang Ultra - 1000W Torque sensored motor!

Fine, show me the bike. First off, I wasn't it putting down, Just stating what would happen if I were to ride it. I'd break it or break myself.
Some bikes ain't fur everyone.

I don't think you could ride it any harder than I do jumping curbs and such. Try that on a hub drive and you will be picking up spokes.

All the builder was doing was pointing out these bikes are available with this motor. If you don't like Biktrix or the owner read the first post and move on to a bike you like. Discussion is good, ask the owner questions, but why pick apart something you say you have no interest in, know nothing about, and have never seen or ridden? I enjoy having builders, designers, technicians and engineers participate in this forum, giving guys like Roshan a hard time discourages this.

& all I was doing was stating I prefer something else. Read the very first post on this thread. Look if I wanted a 1000w Bafang mid-drive.
(which I don't), I'd buy the complete kit with battery for $1035, and put it on any bike of my choice. Where is it written i have to like Biktrix?

Last edited:
& all I was doing was stating I prefer something else. Read the very first post on this thread. Look if I wanted a 1000w Bafang mid-drive.
(which I don't), I'd buy the complete kit with battery for $1035, and put it on any bike of my choice. Where is it written i have to like Biktrix?

No where that I know of, who said you did? I don't think anyone cares what you buy.

You do realize installing an Ultra is a bit more complicated than the other Bafangs , right ? There's welding and fabrication involved. No, you don't have to like a bike you never have seen or rode and you also don't need to call it a "pig in a poke" . Very childish for a geriatric .[/QUOTE

No, pig in a poke is just an anaiogy for buying something unseen or untested. I have a beautiful rock I use for a doorstop I'll sell you
for $3500. Trust me it's a beautiful rock: the very best rock you could hope for! :rolleyes:

Not exactly. Some deception is required. That ain't Roshan !

An object offered in a manner that conceals its true value, especially its lack of value.

Can anyone tell me the approximate range that you get from a bike equipped with a 1kW Ultra motor and a 1kWh battery (48V 21h)?

After years of Bosch/Yamaha, I tried out a bike with Bafang Ultra and... I'm not impressed. Both torque sensor and gas lever thumb throttle feel... wrong. Torque sensor has lots of lag, and then when you pedal, the power build-up is not gradual like Yamaha, it's abrupt and feels uneven when you keep on pedaling. The thumb throttle is non-gradual, it's basically an on/off switch, the start is very abrupt, and it basically just reaches top speed and that's it. The display gives unreliable voltage readings, so you don't really know how much battery you have left: you turn off the bike, turn it on, and it's a completely different value. Subjectively, battery is drained a lot faster than on a comparable Bosch/Yamaha drive.

Last edited:
After years of Bosch/Yamaha, I tried out a bike with Bafang Ultra and... I'm not impressed. Both torque sensor and gas lever feel... wrong. Torque sensor has lots of lag, and then when you pedal, the power build-up is not gradual like Yamaha, it's abrupt and feels uneven when you keep on pedaling. The gas lever is non-gradual, it's basically an on/off switch, the start is very abrupt, and it basically just reaches top speed and that's it. The display gives unreliable voltage readings, so you don't really know how much battery you have left: you turn off the bike, turn it on, and it's a completely different value. Subjectively, battery is drained a lot faster than on a comparable Bosch/Yamaha drive.

Not sure what eBike brand you tried. Bafang leaves some room for tuning the power setting at the end user level. I think you have tried one of those units that were not tuned properly.
Here is a video of a Bafang ultra owner tuning the motor and getting it right. Once you get it, it just feels like Bosch but with 3 times the power.

Not sure what eBike brand you tried. Bafang leaves some room for tuning the power setting at the end user level. I think you have tried one of those units that were not tuned properly.
Here is a video of a Bafang ultra tuning the motor and getting it right. Once you get it, it just feels like Bosch but with 3 times the power.

I have tried this on a Frey hardtail fatbike. Also, I have an Ultra just lying around separately, no idea what to do with it.
I'm aware of the above video, annoyingly enough the motor doesn't even come with this cable when you buy it as a kit.
My main issue is with the smoothness of the travel as well as the fact that the voltage meter is clearly of low quality, and as a result the remaining battery reading is basically all over the place, very unreliable!

Yes, exactly this. Fwiw it's not my bike, my friend bought it. I have Haibike and R&M bikes :) but he wanted to save some money.
Now he's disappointed and I'm not sure I liked this either.

You should ask him to get the$10 USB cable and tune his motor. Simple changes in the parameters will make a huge difference.

You should ask him to get the$10 USB cable and tune his motor. Simple changes in the parameters will make a huge difference.
A bit more expensive than that ($20) but typically the meter in that APT display is not to bad. There is a setting, without the programming cable, to select battery voltage for the battery being used. That said I can't imagine a voltage reading being a game changer. Typically Bafang users are quite happy when repairs can be done by the user and not locked into a shop. BUT if the user wants a bike with excellent torque sensing, Bosch is the hands down winner. But the offerings from Bafang will run circles around Bosch for speed and raw power.

https://www.amazon.com/BAFANG-Programming-Cable-Electric-Bicycle

Back