Need some advice for 1st ebike purchase

MTVlobster

I'd like to purchase an ebike very soon, but d don't have any experience with them. Noob.

Here are the ones I have narrowed it down to, but would like to ask for opinions, or if you have any of these bikes, would you recommend? I'm pushing towards the 750W motors for that extra oompf, but if it isn't necessary, I could do a 500W. Guess I'm looking for best bang for my buck, but also don't want to have issues all the time either.

Sondors Fold XS:

Rize Mini 2020:

Eahora X7+:

Maxfoot MF-19:

2020 Synergy Kahuna:

RadMini 4:

I appreciate your input. Thanks!

Welcome!

Are you looking specifically for a folder, or are you open to a full size bike?

What kind of riding are you planning on doing (mountain bike trails, paved trails, dirt/gravel, road, etc)?

The more information you provide, the better advice you'll receive.

Also, the best advice is probably to ride as many different bikes at possible to find what fits your needs best. The best bang for your buck is whatever you'll love and ride ;).

Welcome!

Are you looking specifically for a folder, or are you open to a full size bike?

What kind of riding are you planning on doing (mountain bike trails, paved trails, dirt/gravel, road, etc)?

The more information you provide, the better advice you'll receive.

Also, the best advice is probably to ride as many different bikes at possible to find what fits your needs best. The best bang for your buck is whatever you'll love and ride ;).
Well, it is mostly just casual riding, some trails, some road. I would like to get a folder because of the compact storage and I like the way they look. Most are online purchasing only, so riding them is almost impossible. I'm trying to get something that isn't just a cheaply made, but it's very versatile as well. Not sure that helps, but that's basically it.

With compact storage and unpaved trails in mind, 20" folding bike with fat tire and suspension fork is as versatile as it gets. You always sacrifice something - in this case normal size wheels.

When I look at the RAD map "Where to ride", it appears that they have dozens test-ride locations spread over 3 continents.

I think all bikes on this list are a "ok" quality, not a top notch - if top notch even exists in the folders domain. They are also consumer-direct bikes, so be prepared.

I would avoid the ones with rear suspension. Of those you have an interest in, I'd say either the Rize or the Rad. Not on your list is the Aventon. Hydraulic brakes is desirable; the upgraded Rize with the bigger battery has it (for a $300 upcharge).

With compact storage and unpaved trails in mind, 20" folding bike with fat tire and suspension fork is as versatile as it gets. You always sacrifice something - in this case normal size wheels.

When I look at the RAD map "Where to ride", it appears that they have dozens test-ride locations spread over 3 continents.

I think all bikes on this list are a "ok" quality, not a top notch - if top notch even exists in the folders domain. They are also consumer-direct bikes, so be prepared.
What is a RAD map?

I would avoid the ones with rear suspension. Of those you have an interest in, I'd say either the Rize or the Rad. Not on your list is the Aventon. Hydraulic brakes is desirable; the upgraded Rize with the bigger battery has it (for a $300 upcharge).
I left off the Aventon because it's only had the 500W motor, but would consider it. What do you guys think?

And why do you say to stay away from the rear suspension, just curious. Those are lower in my choices anyway.

Last edited:
I'd like to purchase an ebike very soon, but d don't have any experience with them. Noob.

Here are the ones I have narrowed it down to, but would like to ask for opinions, or if you have any of these bikes, would you recommend? I'm pushing towards the 750W motors for that extra oompf, but if it isn't necessary, I could do a 500W. Guess I'm looking for best bang for my buck, but also don't want to have issues all the time either.

Sondors Fold XS:

Rize Mini 2020:

Eahora X7+:

Maxfoot MF-19:

2020 Synergy Kahuna:

RadMini 4:

I forgot to put the E-Lux Sierra GT...

Anyone have thoughts on this?

I think people that ride 20" wheels live in huge cities that fix their potholes in a coupla hours. Like Germany, I never saw any bad pavement in Germany not even on the farm tractor trails.
My city & county leave gas meter holes & ruts in the pavement permanently, and I ride 26"x2" wheels. Fat tires or a suspension may help on 20" wheels, but the seals in front suspensions are 5-8 year devices, and good luck on finding a replacement when they leak. Of course I don't have storage problems.
Also I can change a tube in a tire in 30 minutes. I've heard stories about fat tire bikes being difficult. then there is tubeless - more horror stories. I go places where a taxi could never find me, rely on my own repair skills instead of expecting professional help. No street signs out there.

I think people that ride 20" wheels live in huge cities that fix their potholes in a coupla hours. Like Germany, I never saw any bad pavement in Germany not even on the farm tractor trails.
My city & county leave gas meter holes & ruts in the pavement permanently, and I ride 26"x2" wheels. Fat tires or a suspension may help on 20" wheels, but the seals in front suspensions are 5-8 year devices, and good luck on finding a replacement when they leak. Of course I don't have storage problems.
Also I can change a tube in a tire in 30 minutes. I've heard stories about fat tire bikes being difficult. then there is tubeless - more horror stories. I go places where a taxi could never find me, rely on my own repair skills instead of expecting professional help. No street signs out there.
I'm not sure I understand your response. Are you trying to dissuade me from buying a bicycle?
I asked for suggestions or feedback on some bikes I have been looking at. I appreciate the feedback that people have given me this far.
It sounds like you think I am helpless. I just pulled out and cleaned up me and my wife's mountain bikes that have been hanging in the garage for the past almost 10 years this past weekend, replaced two tubes and the rim wrap in one bike, adjusted the derailer and disk brakes on the other. Both are riding great now.
I really don't think what you responded with was of any relevance to what I was asking for. Sorry if I missed something.

You asked if any thoughts. I think 20" bikes you're eyeing would bruise my hips in my location. Germany & amsterdam, no problem.
Yes I asked for thoughts about me purchasing a bike and what people thought of my possible choices. I'm glad you have your opinion on how a 20" bike would hurt you and that your roads are so terrible. I am looking at buying one because it's fun. Isn't that why we all want different things, for some fun and enjoyment? I do appreciate your opinion: you think 20" fat tire folding bikes are bad unless you live in Europe and you wouldn't buy one. Awesome, they aren't for you, but that doesn't change my decision to get one and enjoy it.

I apologise if I sound bitter, but when I posed the questions, I was looking for some of the advise the others have given. Technical aspects, the good companies, better components, etc. If you wouldn't buy one, great. I hope you are happy with what you do have, but it sounds like your roads are so bad even your bike doesn't work well on them.

Sorry for the rant, I'm not trying to be mean, just wasn't expecting the response I got from you. Enjoy your bike, have Fun, and stay safe!

And why do you say to stay away from the rear suspension, just curious. Those are lower in my choices anyway.

Low end suspension is a selling feature with (IMO) little benefit. It works (sort-of) but when it craps out, it is often difficult to find a replacement. It is equally difficult if not impossible to get replacement bushings for the pivots, so when they wear out, the whole rear end of the bike gets loose. So I think it is better to have a rigid frame.

Yes I asked for thoughts about me purchasing a bike and what people thought of my possible choices. I'm glad you have your opinion on how a 20" bike would hurt you and that your roads are so terrible. I am looking at buying one because it's fun. Isn't that why we all want different things, for some fun and enjoyment? I do appreciate your opinion: you think 20" fat tire folding bikes are bad unless you live in Europe and you wouldn't buy one. Awesome, they aren't for you, but that doesn't change my decision to get one and enjoy it.

I apologise if I sound bitter, but when I posed the questions, I was looking for some of the advise the others have given. Technical aspects, the good companies, better components, etc. If you wouldn't buy one, great. I hope you are happy with what you do have, but it sounds like your roads are so bad even your bike doesn't work well on them.

Sorry for the rant, I'm not trying to be mean, just wasn't expecting the response I got from you. Enjoy your bike, have Fun, and stay safe!
[/QUOTE
Aren't tire size and performance RE road conditions technical aspects that you might want to be aware of, since you are looking to purchase a bike without trying it out first?

Low end suspension is a selling feature with (IMO) little benefit. It works (sort-of) but when it craps out, it is often difficult to find a replacement. It is equally difficult if not impossible to get replacement bushings for the pivots, so when they wear out, the whole rear end of the bike gets loose. So I think it is better to have a rigid frame.
Thanks, totally makes sense, I'll nix those from my list. Appreciate the advice!

Rize Mini 2020:

With similar specs (without nitpicking), definitely focus on the ones that include full fenders (like the Rize or the Rad that go down to the axle). If you don't any coverage you'll get covered much more than a narrow tired bike, and half fenders aren't always that effective.

For example, you'll get completely soaked with front "fender" on the Eahora bike. All it takes is one rainy or slushy ride to realize this. :)

Also aim for one that comes with a rack. If you start using it more and more, you'll soon realize that you'll need/want one anyways.

Also I second what Nova Haibike says about rear suspension. Seems like a useless selling point that is just another point of failure. About 80% of the time I even have my front suspension locked out until I hit some trails.

Personally, I bought the 2019 Spark Mini last summer (before they rebranded as Rize) after looking at a ton of Court's reviews and reading about different fat folders. I'd recommend it, as it's performed well, even in Toronto winter conditions.

Gonna add... I'd recommend you narrow your list down to the following 3 (no particular order).

Rize Mini
Rad Mini (and get the $80 rack to go with it)
Sondors Fold XS (and order the rack/fender/bag combo accessory)

Back