Need recommendations...

One last thing to consider...................

Will your Wife want a more Relaxed Upright Vibe when riding ?
Or a more Lean In Athletic Vibe when riding ?

At 60+, not everybody wants to (or can) ride as they did when they were 20.šŸ¤Ŗ

I think sheā€™d want more upright although sheā€™s an animal in the gym. Unlike her husband. šŸ¤•. She does have some slight back and hip issues so Iā€™m not sure an aggressive bike is what sheā€™d appreciate.

For those who are considering the LaFree E+1 (or 2)..............

I found this Review I had not seen before I purchased mine.

So I compared their review conclusions with my own personal experience.
They Tested the LaFree E+2, and I have the LaFree E+1.

All of their (few) minor criticisms are negated by the LaFree E+1
1. Occasional Dropped Chain LaFree E+2 ---- Carbon Belt on LaFree E+1 (Non Issue).
2. Lack of Integrated Lights on LaFree E+2 ---- Integrated Lights on LaFree E+1 (Non Issue).
3. They suggest it is for a "First Time ebike buyer" ----- I agree, BUT still excellent for the Experienced.

Ride On ! :cool:

For those who are considering the LaFree E+1 (or 2)..............

I found this Review I had not seen before I purchased mine.

So I compared their review conclusions with my own personal experience.
They Tested the LaFree E+2, and I have the LaFree E+1.

All of their (few) minor criticisms are negated by the LaFree E+1
1. Occasional Dropped Chain LaFree E+2 ---- Carbon Belt on LaFree E+1 (Non Issue).
2. Lack of Integrated Lights on LaFree E+2 ---- Integrated Lights on LaFree E+1 (Non Issue).
3. They suggest it is for a "First Time ebike buyer" ----- I agree, BUT still excellent for the Experienced.

Ride On ! :cool:

Awesome. Thanks very much. I actually found a dealer about 30 miles from me who stocks the +1. Iā€™m going to see it tomorrow. Really looking forward to finally getting my hands and eyes on one. I assume youā€™re happy with yours? Any complaints at all?

Iā€™ve been told that the LaFree is not going to be made in 2020. Replaced by the Vida.

Not much to complain about...................

I asked my Giant Dealer if he could put Black Walled Tires (a little more "Butch") on my LaFree E+1 (like what you see on LaFree E+2's).
He said No Problem he gets stock tires of both color side walls all the time.
I like it..........

2nd: If I had a magic wand to make the bike more perfect........ A battery in the Center would be nice (I think), center of gravity and all.
It is literally the only compromise I accepted (after learning all I could here on EBR about what to look for).

3rd: As you decide if this is the right bike for you, Just be conscious of the Nature of the Ride.
As stated before, this bike rides Much More like a conventional bike, (and YOU have Bionic Legs), as opposed to a "Moped like", Throttle accelerated, or Hub Motor that Jumps to a given speed as soon as you start to move (more like riding a Motorized Vehicle).
Both styles of riding experience are fun, and rewarding, just in different ways.

Tell us how it goes..............

Craig :cool:

P.S.
Have the Dealer put the bike in "Auto mode" for part of your test ride.
It is One Button Click below the "No Assist mode"

Last edited:
Well, I saw the Lafree+1 this morning and took a nice ride on it. Pretty impressive. This bike has just about everything that I think is important. I like the belt vs. chain especially.
I put a deposit on it pending taking my wife to make sure itā€™s a good fit for her. The LBS was great! I knew Iā€™d likely spend a bit more than buying a similar bike online but I feel itā€™s well worth the extra cost. They also surprised me by agreeing to swapping out the stock tubes with a more puncture resistant set plus they gave me a decent discount.... and a decent helmet. I suppose I may have gotten a little more off but I thought it was a good deal.
Now...to start looking for one for me. šŸ˜

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I truly appreciate it.

Well, I saw the Lafree+1 this morning and took a nice ride on it. Pretty impressive. This bike has just about everything that I think is important. I like the belt vs. chain especially.
I put a deposit on it pending taking my wife to make sure itā€™s a good fit for her. The LBS was great! I knew Iā€™d likely spend a bit more than buying a similar bike online but I feel itā€™s well worth the extra cost. They also surprised me by agreeing to swapping out the stock tubes with a more puncture resistant set plus they gave me a decent discount.... and a decent helmet. I suppose I may have gotten a little more off but I thought it was a good deal.
Now...to start looking for one for me. šŸ˜

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I truly appreciate it.

I assume you or the Dealer checked the Giant Size Chart.................... ;)

1566953631041.png

Another vote for Moustache. My mum has a Lundi 26 and for the type of bike it is I think itā€™s great. We also have a Kalkhoff in the family which is few years old now (which is a lot in the E part of the bikeā€™s technology) and whilst their bikes are well put together the Moustache is just as good on that score but the styling in better imho.

Another vote for Moustache. My mum has a Lundi 26 and for the type of bike it is I think itā€™s great. We also have a Kalkhoff in the family which is few years old now (which is a lot in the E part of the bikeā€™s technology) and whilst their bikes are well put together the Moustache is just as good on that score but the styling in better imho.

I Must agree with what you said: "Another vote for Moustache ".

My Wife and I test rode one at Propel in Long Beach California, and She Loved it !
Unfortunately, a bit out of reach for us $$ :(

I Must agree with what you said: "Another vote for Moustache ".

My Wife and I test rode one at Propel in Long Beach California, and She Loved it !
Unfortunately, a bit out of reach for us $$:(
I agree, great looking bikes, however, a little pricey at that. Probably very well built though...

I will vote for Moustache or Riese Muller but they are pricey e-bikes. If you are looking for cheaper options Ariel Rider C-Class or Giant Lafree seems ok options.

I will vote for Moustache or Riese Muller but they are pricey e-bikes. If you are looking for cheaper options Ariel Rider C-Class or Giant Lafree seems ok options.

Ya, I wonder whats up with Ariel Rider New C-Class ???
I've been waiting for months to see a review on it.
Ariel said Court would be reviewing in August....... but that didn't happen.
Hmmmmm šŸ¤”

I couldn't wait any longer, and went with another bike.

Craig šŸ˜Ž

Hello, I'm shopping for an e-bike and have decided on the Giant LaFree +1. I believe there might be a Black Friday sale, and plan to purchase it then. My question is related to the proper size. At the store, a medium was recommended, and it seemed comfortable when I rode it, especially given the fact that I plan to swap the handlebars for ones that sweep around. I tried the small briefly at the end of the day, but we ran out of time. When I got home and looked up the size chart, I saw that it recommends a small for me (5' 4", 140 pounds, seeking comfort cruiser). Does anyone have advice about what size might be best, given that I'm adjusting the handlebars? If needed, I'll go try it again, but it's quite a distance to the store. Thanks for your help!

Hello, I'm shopping for an e-bike and have decided on the Giant LaFree +1. I believe there might be a Black Friday sale, and plan to purchase it then. My question is related to the proper size. At the store, a medium was recommended, and it seemed comfortable when I rode it, especially given the fact that I plan to swap the handlebars for ones that sweep around. I tried the small briefly at the end of the day, but we ran out of time. When I got home and looked up the size chart, I saw that it recommends a small for me (5' 4", 140 pounds, seeking comfort cruiser). Does anyone have advice about what size might be best, given that I'm adjusting the handlebars? If needed, I'll go try it again, but it's quite a distance to the store. Thanks for your help!
One key item the recommendation charts don't mention is leg length. Some people have very long legs proportionately, some very short. I'm the latter. Whether you can reach the ground when the bike has to stop is important, and longer legged people have the advantage here. Bike "size" has to do with the distance between seat post and handlebar stem. That measurement has more to do with how long the torso and arms are. Various handlebars can be bought to adjust the posture after you buy the bike. The seat can only be adjusted down so much if the rise is too high. Hope this helps you decide what size you need. Be aware, for maximum efficiency when pedaling unpowered, the leg should be only slightly bent with the crank at the bottom. Seat adjustment up can help make that happen. But with the seat up you should also be able to comfortably reach the handlebar controls with only as much bending over as you like. Racers bend over radically, I'm like you, I've always liked the almost upright style called "cruiser" now but was called "English racer" when I was young. I have a quite wide seat I can sit on for 4+ hours without pain or numbness.
Furthermore, bike shops tend to stock large, and sometimes medium. In most cases the shop will make you pay for a small bike in advance, then if you don't like it when it comes in, tough, you own it.
I advise going to a discount store or a charity resale shop with a tape measure, sit on some bikes, find one you like, and measure it. Stem to post and lowest seat position to crank center are crucial measurements. i was prohibited from sitting on a bike I liked at a LBS since I didn't have a helmet that day, and funny thing, I didn't buy that bike and I've never spent another dime there. I instead ordered the bike left new off the internet.

Last edited:

Hello nmrider,

You are 5'4" and the Dealer recommended a Medium ?
I wonder what their reason was.
Beware the Dealer who tries to Sell only what is IN STOCK, rather then order another bike.
Retailers always wish to clear their inventory (understandably), but make sure the Dealer is working for YOU, and the correct fit.
{Giant has all sizes ready to go most of the time.}

My Wife has the LaFree E+1 (Small), and I have the LaFree E+1 (Medium).

My Wife is 5'3" and is very comfortable on her size small.
I am 5'9" and happy with the medium.

I think my Wife would be Reaching quite a bit on a Medium.
So I tend to think at 5'4", you are a long way from the 5'7" where Medium starts.

My Two Cents.............. Craig :cool:

Hello nmrider,

You are 5'4" and the Dealer recommended a Medium ?
I wonder what their reason was.
Beware the Dealer who tries to Sell only what is IN STOCK, rather then order another bike.
Retailers always wish to clear their inventory (understandably), but make sure the Dealer is working for YOU, and the correct fit.
{Giant has all sizes ready to go most of the time.}

My Wife has the LaFree E+1 (Small), and I have the LaFree E+1 (Medium).

My Wife is 5'3" and is very comfortable on her size small.
I am 5'9" and happy with the medium.

I think my Wife would be Reaching quite a bit on a Medium.
So I tend to think at 5'4", you are a long way from the 5'7" where Medium starts.

My Two Cents.............. Craig :cool:
I've just been wondering about sizing! When I test rode the E+2 (assuming the frame for the +1 is the same), it felt vaguely big. I used to be 5'6", but have shrunk in the past years to 5"5 1/2. I'll have to try the small frame before purchase - hope it's in stock!

Electric bikes, particularly the Dutch style, seem much bigger than regular 10 speed acoustics. The handlebars are wider, the bike is heavier. First time I tried a Gazelle, it just felt really weird to have the handlebars at my armpits when I hopped down. Having an adjustable handlebar stem is extremely helpful. I subsequently tried out and bought a BH Atom Diamond Wave Pro, which does still seem big (compared to acoustic 10 speeds), but not when I'm riding it. It doesn't have the kind of geometry where you can put your feet on the ground whilst still seated, but I don't want that anyway. I am 5'7", with long legs, and a medium BH Atom Diamond Wave Pro fits me great. If I were 5'4"? No way. Definitely go for a small. Have the dealer order it. Don't buy the wrong size just because that's what's in stock at the shop. Would you buy an expensive pair of shoes in the wrong size? No, you have them get you the right size!

I bought a medium for my wife. Sheā€™s 5ā€™9ā€. Itā€™s perfect for her. Iā€™m 6ā€™ and itā€™s a nice size for me as well. At 5ā€™4ā€ Iā€™d make sure you tried out both sizes before buying. Seems to me that the Small would be a better fit. Enjoy!

Thank you for the input! The dealer does have a medium and a small in stock, but after trying both I still can't decide! We're definitely going with the E+1 - have decided that much at least.

I went to a different bike shop and they recommended the small. (They didn't have a small in stock, and the shop that suggested the medium did have a small in stock, so I think their recommendations were unbiased.) I decided to go with the small, and I'm very happy with it. I already bought a suspension seat post, which I probably wouldn't have been able to fit on the medium. Thanks again for your help!

Back