Need opinion and advice (Newgen Bike)

Good to hear how good the customer service is, I’m on a lot of the super 73 forums and they are filled with complaints about slow response times and huge delays in replacement parts.

Speaking of Super 73, they’ve just released the ZX which is around £2250, looks nice.. The main appeal for me is the beefier motor, hits a top speed of around 26/27mph.. doesn’t have any suspension though. Not sure the extra 7mph is worth sacrificing suspension and what seem like cheaper parts.

Anyone here have the throttle on the 250w? Curious to know what the average speed your hitting with using the throttle alone.

Good to hear how good the customer service is, I’m on a lot of the super 73 forums and they are filled with complaints about slow response times and huge delays in replacement parts.

Speaking of Super 73, they’ve just released the ZX which is around £2250, looks nice.. The main appeal for me is the beefier motor, hits a top speed of around 26/27mph.. doesn’t have any suspension though. Not sure the extra 7mph is worth sacrificing suspension and what seem like cheaper parts.

Anyone here have the throttle on the 250w? Curious to know what the average speed your hitting with using the throttle alone.
Hi Hummo, I’ve just been iloutto do some throttle tests. In its current settings whilst simultaneously charging my phone it ran in the flat quite happily at 15mph. This dips down on the uphill and goes up on the downhill. 15mph does actually feel pretty quick on these bikes though but I’ll have a play with wheel size etc and see if I can squeeze more out.
When is yours due?

Hi Hummo, I’ve just been iloutto do some throttle tests. In its current settings whilst simultaneously charging my phone it ran in the flat quite happily at 15mph. This dips down on the uphill and goes up on the downhill. 15mph does actually feel pretty quick on these bikes though but I’ll have a play with wheel size etc and see if I can squeeze more out.
When is yours due?
Hey man, what do you mean by 'in its current settings' sorry? I was told that it can reach 20mph comfortably. When I had a test ride on the 250w it felt quick, it accelerated great but I didn't note what speed it hit, this is my first ebike though so I have nothing to compare it to, my commute is only 3 miles away and a city centre commute so I can't imagine needing more than 15-20mph. I was told that they are expecting the next batch of bikes in July and I will be notified when they're ready to ship it to me. I'm hoping it's early July because I'm too impatient.

Can anyone with the 250w clarify for me what motor is used. All I can find is it's a Bafang 250w.. Does anyone have any more info, a model number or something?

Hey man, what do you mean by 'in its current settings' sorry? I was told that it can reach 20mph comfortably. When I had a test ride on the 250w it felt quick, it accelerated great but I didn't note what speed it hit, this is my first ebike though so I have nothing to compare it to, my commute is only 3 miles away and a city centre commute so I can't imagine needing more than 15-20mph. I was told that they are expecting the next batch of bikes in July and I will be notified when they're ready to ship it to me. I'm hoping it's early July because I'm too impatient.
Lol, I was the same when mine was in shipping - it was like waiting for Christmas morning all over.

The speed reached is due to inhibitors in the settings, Max speed 25kph, wheel size as per actual wheel size etc. In principle, removing these will increase speed but probably adds strain to the motor and *may* (idk, just assume) reduce lifespan of the motor which, is a 250w Bafang. There’s a qr code on the motor which takes you to the detailed spec.

For me, 15mph on the flat feels quick enough but with a 31kg plus me on any kind of descent takes the kph up over 30 - 32 (so easily 20mph). Just make sure there’s no tight corner at the bottom of the descent as turning on these tyres can be fun at speed!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 18EDBF2C-5C34-4E20-944D-F2AFA75CBD6D.png
    18EDBF2C-5C34-4E20-944D-F2AFA75CBD6D.png
    317.2 KB · Views: 158
  • E8E8EC7F-AC2F-4759-9D57-57470F7DF15E.png
    E8E8EC7F-AC2F-4759-9D57-57470F7DF15E.png
    278.9 KB · Views: 146
  • D645544E-5307-4EA4-B077-25C56E87223A.png
    D645544E-5307-4EA4-B077-25C56E87223A.png
    280.2 KB · Views: 152
  • F0E2AB51-F460-4055-8915-EB6350D0D6B2.png
    F0E2AB51-F460-4055-8915-EB6350D0D6B2.png
    215.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 41E0DB6B-C68C-49D3-8CD0-CBC6477E8943.png
    41E0DB6B-C68C-49D3-8CD0-CBC6477E8943.png
    253.8 KB · Views: 151
Lol, I was the same when mine was in shipping - it was like waiting for Christmas morning all over.

The speed reached is due to inhibitors in the settings, Max speed 25kph, wheel size as per actual wheel size etc. In principle, removing these will increase speed but probably adds strain to the motor and *may* (idk, just assume) reduce lifespan of the motor which, is a 250w Bafang. There’s a qr code on the motor which takes you to the detailed spec.

For me, 15mph on the flat feels quick enough but with a 31kg plus me on any kind of descent takes the kph up over 30 - 32 (so easily 20mph). Just make sure there’s no tight corner at the bottom of the descent as turning on these tyres can be fun at speed!
Thank you for this, massive help.

From what I'm seeing the motor is capable of 800w peak so I'm guessing the controller is limiting the output. You wouldn't know the specs of the controller would you? Providing the battery can deliver the extra amps the motor can certainly handle more power.

I've got a little bit of a hill on my route home otherwise it's all downhill or flat so should be a breeze.

Quick update, Maria from NewGen called me up today to discuss some small changes they've made to the final production model, new improved tires, a better monitor and the seat is supposedly a little thinner at the rear which should improve comfort. She also updated me on the shipping situation, there are a few issues with customs because of Brexit but they're doing everything they can do remedy it and are still expecting delivery for July albeit she did say it will most likely be mid-late July. Great customer service though, gives me great hopes for the future of NewGen.

Thank you for this, massive help.

From what I'm seeing the motor is capable of 800w peak so I'm guessing the controller is limiting the output. You wouldn't know the specs of the controller would you? Providing the battery can deliver the extra amps the motor can certainly handle more power.

I've got a little bit of a hill on my route home otherwise it's all downhill or flat so should be a breeze.
No idea about the controllers, sorry bud

Hi HD, I have to tell you the folks at Newgen are definitely on it! when it comes to getting problems sorted. As most of you already have heard about my puncture/blow out problems. I don’t know for sure but I did tell Newgen (Maria) about this and I’m just guessing here but I think that may be why they have improved on the tires.

Heads up for HD and everyone else of course :) Just bouncing back to a question you had about mileage HD. I’ve just got back from a ride from Royston to Cambridge then along the lovely cycle way there to Fen Ditton. Then back for a mooch around Cambridge and back to Royston. All in just about 35 miles on level 1 assist and on a full charge. The battery now shows three of the four indicator lights. I’m about 12.5 stone and the going was pretty flat. That’s a typical ride for me and I’ll probably do it all again by the weekend then I will recharge. Not bad for a fairly hefty bike huh? :)

No idea about the controllers, sorry bud
HummoHD, I’ve taken my controller out today, it’s being repaired or replaced (not sure which) by NewGen since the forks chopped the pas cable. Removal was actually really straightforward.

For what it’s worth, find a couple of snaps attached!

Attachments

• AD2B07CF-9F94-4EE0-BB7E-54689DC2B03E.jpeg
    AD2B07CF-9F94-4EE0-BB7E-54689DC2B03E.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 70968452-3E26-41CC-AB74-7D8DEE8D2C07.jpeg
    70968452-3E26-41CC-AB74-7D8DEE8D2C07.jpeg
    348.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 3308FBED-A9DF-4BFC-81BD-549E7EB41A9D.jpeg
    3308FBED-A9DF-4BFC-81BD-549E7EB41A9D.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 138
Got my controller back the other day, all put back together and works fine again. I also managed to find what looks to be a decent bike rack for my car. It’s not arrived yet, but I’ll let you know how I get on with it. It was around £200 from Amazon.. Peruzzo Pure Instinct 2. For fat wheels, takes a 45kg load, no tow bar needed.

Yup, I bought myself a strap on.

Got my controller back the other day, all put back together and works fine again. I also managed to find what looks to be a decent bike rack for my car. It’s not arrived yet, but I’ll let you know how I get on with it. It was around £200 from Amazon.. Peruzzo Pure Instinct 2. For fat wheels, takes a 45kg load, no tow bar needed.

Yup, I bought myself a strap on.
Ha! I’ll be interested in seeing that OldBoy :)

Hi, myself and girlfriend tested the 250w & 750 at NewGen HQ last wknd, oh… WHAT FUN.. we then bumped into Dustyaxe yesterday, who gave us great insight and further feedback.. we have now ordered 2, one in black and one silver, due mid-late Aug, so happy days. 😊🚴🏼

Great news Littleze :) So glad you two joined the tribe. Can’t wait for our ride outs mate and if you need any help I’m just a phone call away. August isn’t that far away and we’re lucky there are lots of pretty routes around here. There are a few guys expecting their bikes very soon so stay tuned here to get their thoughts. I remember how they must be feeling right now, just like waiting for Santa:)

Super excited, yes, lots of known and unknown rides to be had, I’ll definitely be in touch 👍🏻😊

Super excited, yes, lots of known and unknown rides to be had, I’ll definitely be in touch 👍🏻😊
Welcome to the club buddy. Did you go for the 250 or the 750? Was there much difference?

For the others, I decided on a front light upgrade. Not got the attached wired or owt yet, but this is how it will look…

I’m also considering a brown leather seat and matching grips

Attachments

• F3BA1D0F-CD4B-4773-A082-8C515C7C5ACE.jpeg
    F3BA1D0F-CD4B-4773-A082-8C515C7C5ACE.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 019FAFA9-1A0C-4EAC-BF0F-AF6F31080098.jpeg
    019FAFA9-1A0C-4EAC-BF0F-AF6F31080098.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 165
Two 750w bikes, a delicate decision for the obvious reasons, we felt there was a difference, but would have bought if 250w was the only option.
A couple of questions, if you can or anyone else can help out.
I’m thinking a kryptonite chain, to lock our 2 up in our bike shed.

Mirrors, below or above handle bars? is there a particular size or is it a fits all situation?

I also have the forgeddaboutit (if that’s how you spell it) chain / lock. It’s a proper heavy, so forgetting about it, frankly, is not likely. I also have a gold standard u lock for quick stops.

Mirrors… Personal choice I reckon - although my seated position is quite high so I’d be inclined to go above

if you read through the forum, I’d also recommend some tyre liners. I got ‘mr tuffy’ branded by chance off eBay. There were expensive but give some peace of mind when off piste. The tyres do not come off easily though…. You need 4 steel reinforced nylon levers if your tyres are anything like mine

police have never stopped me to ask if my bike is a 250w btw. I’d say good call on the 750

Back