Need help - which Haibike to choose?

DonWerner

Hey everybody,

I need some advice and help choosing the right bike for me. I am going to use my new e-bike as my daily commuter to and from work, around 15 miles a day in total. I might also use the bike for some terrain driving during the weekends, but dont know how much that is going to be at this moment. I am a big guy around 230 lbs and 6ft3.

I have narrowed my choices down to two bikes from Haibike. Both with the Yamaha drive train and with 500 watt batteries.

First is the Haibike Sduro HardNine 5.5 (first picture), the second one is the Haibike Sduro AllMtn 6.0. The price difference between the two bikes is around 1000 usd, where I live.

My question is, is it overkill to spend an additional 1000 usd to get the full suspension, when I will mostly be riding the bike on tarmac, to and from work?

How much better is the riding comfort/experience with the full suspension vs. front suspension only?

Which bike would you choose of the two suggested? The price is about 3000 usd for the HardNine and 4000 usd. for the AllMtn.

4542320740-Haibike-SDURO-HardNine-5-5-500Wh-schwarz-weiss-cyan-matt-2017_750x750.jpg

Haibike-sDuro-AllMtn-6.0-2017-Electric-Bike.jpg

I'm not a Haibike owner;but, I work commute 45-75 miles per week and trail ride after work and on weekends. I find storage is what I need with rear rack+bag with panniers, two bottle cages, fender(s), handlebar extender for iphone 6S plus and Niterider 3600 light, and mounting points for extra lights for the road. I even have a large Osprey backpack for winter commuting because it is below freezing in the morning and +50s by afternoon and I need the backpack to store cold weather gear on the ride home.

Those two choices look 100% ready to go for trail riding as-is (maybe add a bodyfloat or dropper seatpost to the 5.5). I have to pack a lot more stuff for work commuting (flat kit, tools, lunch, work cloths, wet/dry/cold/hot weather gear, extra battery charger at work, etc...). Can you easily add extra storage and/or accessories to either bike?

I have the 2016 Haibike AllMtn Plus with the Yamaha motor and 3-inch tires. I like the wide tires and the full suspension very much. The higher sustained speeds of an e-bike make a suspension of some sort almost a necessity, as Court Rye, the owner of this site, points out repeatedly. This is true even if riding primarily on pavement because potholes and such come up without warning at speed.

However, I do not use my bike for commuting. I use it for recreation and to access wildlife (I am a professional architectural and wildlife photographer). I need a bike that can go (almost) everywhere, and my AllMtn Plus is very capable in that regard, exceeding my own biking skills.

mrgold35 makes a good point regarding panniers, etc. I have resigned myself to using a backpack to carry my photo equipment (about 11 lbs.). A rear suspension makes it very hard to attach a rack, and racks that cantilever from the seatpost are not very sturdy. It would be easier to attach a rack to the Hardnine, but make sure you get one that has at least 3 points of attachment: seatpost and seatstays. If you get the Hardnine, you can always add a suspension seatpost, such as a BodyFloat or Thudbuster. (And make sure you can resolve the potential conflict between a suspension seatpost and the rack attachment to that seatpost.)

Both the AllMtn and the Hardnine are good bikes. You can't go wrong either way. Good luck!

It's something I haven't really considered, that I would need some kinda storage option on the bike, but it makes sense. I am not sure if either of the Haibike would accomodate that. I know its possible to install lights on the bike, wired up to the battery.

Does anyone know if the AllMtn 6.0 have the dropseat as standard and if its possible to install a mudguard on the back on a full suspension bike?

Last edited:
My 2016 AllMtn Plus came with the dropseat as standard equipment. Although intended primarily for going downhill, I find that a dropseat is also useful in urban situations, such as stopping at red lights. A dropseat makes dismounting and mounting a lot easier!

I think if you see a dropseat in the picture of the AllMtn 6.0 you can be reasonably sure it's standard. Or look up the specs, or ask a dealer.

My 2016 AllMtn Plus came with the dropseat as standard equipment. Although intended primarily for going downhill, I find that a dropseat is also useful in urban situations, such as stopping at red lights. A dropseat makes dismounting and mounting a lot easier!

I think if you see a dropseat in the picture of the AllMtn 6.0 you can be reasonably sure it's standard. Or look up the specs, or ask a dealer.

Sounds good. How eactly does the dropseat work? (sorry, I am new to the mtb world).

There is a thumb lever you press, and the saddle goes down, pushed by your own weight. To raise the saddle, lift your weight off the saddle, press the lever, and the saddle will rise, pushed by an internal spring.

Lowering the saddle going downhill lowers your center of gravity, aiding stability. It also lessens the chance of flying over the handlebars. You feel more secure.

Hey everybody,

I need some advice and help choosing the right bike for me. I am going to use my new e-bike as my daily commuter to and from work, around 15 miles a day in total. I might also use the bike for some terrain driving during the weekends, but dont know how much that is going to be at this moment. I am a big guy around 230 lbs and 6ft3.

I have narrowed my choices down to two bikes from Haibike. Both with the Yamaha drive train and with 500 watt batteries.

First is the Haibike Sduro HardNine 5.5 (first picture), the second one is the Haibike Sduro AllMtn 6.0. The price difference between the two bikes is around 1000 usd, where I live.

My question is, is it overkill to spend an additional 1000 usd to get the full suspension, when I will mostly be riding the bike on tarmac, to and from work?

How much better is the riding comfort/experience with the full suspension vs. front suspension only?

Which bike would you choose of the two suggested? The price is about 3000 usd for the HardNine and 4000 usd. for the AllMtn.

4542320740-Haibike-SDURO-HardNine-5-5-500Wh-schwarz-weiss-cyan-matt-2017_750x750.jpg

Haibike-sDuro-AllMtn-6.0-2017-Electric-Bike.jpg
I'm going to throw a wrench into this by saying both bikes you're looking at are aimed at the riding you'll do the least, if at all. I have an Sduro Trekking because, although I don't commute, I like to go on long day pavement rides with all the stuff I need. Fenders, a rack and lights covers all the bases, which would be even more important if I was counting on the bike to get me to work every day.

It has a suspension fork and wide 29er tires. Although not ideal for serious trail riding, I have ridden a bit of singletrack on it. It was kinda sketchy, but hopping off and dropping air pressure would have helped (I didn't bother). Swapping the tires for something a little nobbier would also be a benefit.

Just something to think about while you're bike shopping.

Don, I have a similar use case to you, with around a 15 mile paved road round-trip commute, and weekend rides around the neighborhood, in very hilly and drizzly Seattle, Washington. After a lot of research, I settled on the 2016 Sduro Trekking RC, like Joe Remi, because the bike is a better fit for my primary use cases. I was able to find it on closeout for under $2400 delivered. It comes with fenders, road appropriate tires, permanently mounted lights, and has a rear rack that should help with any light transport needs I have as well as allowing me to get my daypack off my back in the warmer summer months. The suspension fork should help to deal with the terrible roads around Seattle, and I added a BodyFloat to help provide even more comfort. The only other upgrade so far was a pair of Ergon ergonomic grips. Unfortunately, I can't give you my opinion on how well it all works yet because the bike is due to be delivered tomorrow! This weekend should hopefully give me time to get it assembled and tuned up, and I can stop back in to the forum next week to provide an update.

I too ended up getting an Sduro trekking also. I bought mine online as there are no electric bike dealers close to my home. After reading quite a lot, I settled on a Haibike because of the German connection and attention to detail that is typical.
I tried to buy the Hardseven SM or the Cross SM as a company I contacted had some really good deals on 2016 models in Jan,Feb etc and I was was shopping for two, one for me and one for the missus.

As luck would have it, they didn't have the size I needed in the Hardseven but the salesman talked me into the 2016 Trekking SL by saying its basically the same bike as the Hardseven but with some extra gear like fenders, lights, rack etc and the SL equipment was a little better, derailleurs etc. I figured that although I was not looking for fenders, lights etc, I could always take them off and perhaps put them back on at a later date. Pricing was "very attractive" at 2 grand, shipping included.
I have not yet ridden it very much yet because of wintery weather which is now easing. I have had no desire to remove the extra gear as believe it or not its all useful !
I might go for knobblier tires for gravel roads I often have to deal with here in the Appalachians and if I had to do it all again I would go for the 2017 version with 20 gears as I cant do high cadences. My wife and I both like the 2016 Trekking version and we saved a bundle between us. Sure we don't have the later, bigger batteries but we probably wont need them.

It's something I haven't really considered, that I would need some kinda storage option on the bike, but it makes sense. I am not sure if either of the Haibike would accomodate that. I know its possible to install lights on the bike, wired up to the battery.

Does anyone know if the AllMtn 6.0 have the dropseat as standard and if its possible to install a mudguard on the back on a full suspension bike?
I bought a 2017 AllMtn Sduro about two weeks ago. It comes with the drop seat standard. I installed front and rear mudflaps I purchased at REI..............just cut them to fit your bike, attach with cable ties...................works well. I've put on 57 miles so far and love thee bike, especially the torque.

I see what you guys are saying, that it might be more sensible to buy the Trekking version, for my needs as a daily communter. You get more standard equipment for less money. The reason why I have focussed on the MTB is because I would like to have the option to use it offroad and I also think a MTB might be more suitable for a man my size, being 230-240 lbs. Don't know if the Trekking model will be too flimsy for my weight. The Trekking model is "only" 2500 usd. so we're talking a pretty big price difference, alot of money to save. Hmmm...what to do, what to do...

I see what you guys are saying, that it might be more sensible to buy the Trekking version, for my needs as a daily communter. You get more standard equipment for less money. The reason why I have focussed on the MTB is because I would like to have the option to use it offroad and I also think a MTB might be more suitable for a man my size, being 230-240 lbs. Don't know if the Trekking model will be too flimsy for my weight. The Trekking model is "only" 2500 usd. so we're talking a pretty big price difference, alot of money to save. Hmmm...what to do, what to do...

The Haibike Sduro 6.0 AllMtn is really a dedicated mountain bike more so than a commuter. 3 inch tires, full suspension engineered for off road. Although perfically capable of riding pavement, really not designed foe commuting. Save the money and get the trek.

I cant imagine any Haibikes being any more or less flimsy than others as the frames and components are basically the same on all of them I think. Well designed and well built. Certainly there is nothing flimsy about Trekking models! Perhaps some wheels are stouter than others but your weight is a lot less than others have posted. If you get a Trekking and find yourself offroading a lot, its easy to change tires to something else.

Don, the reality is that many of us need more than one bike. My non-electric bikes include two road bikes and one mountain bike. Prior to buying my Haibike AllMtn Plus I test rode a fat tire ebike, several mountain ebikes, and a few road ebikes including the Haibike Trekking. I really liked the Trekking and almost pulled the trigger on it. I agree with everybody who is recommending the Trekking that it would be a better bike for commuting than either of the mountain bikes you are considering.

BUT both the Hardnine and the AllMtn are better on pavement than the Trekking is off-road. The Trekking would be fine on hard-packed, well-maintained dirt roads, but once you start seeing deep ruts and rocks you might have to dismount. If you're only commuting 15 miles round trip, using a mountain bike should be fine. I go to the beach 3 or 4 times a week, a 15-mile round trip on pavement (except for the last 100 yards on sand!) on my AllMtn Plus, and I doubt the same trip on a Trekking would be much faster. (I stop to take pictures anyway.) However, the Trekking would allow me to put my gear on the bike rack instead of a backpack.

As for size, you should ALWAYS get a properly-sized bike, whether it's a mountain bike or a road bike.

Ultimately, it's your decision. The Trekking is the rational, best-fit for commuting, less expensive yet quality choice. The mountain ebikes are more versatile, go-anywhere (but you'll probably have to carry your stuff in a backpack), more fun (riding on soft sand is a blast!) and a lot more expensive.

I weigh 195 (pounds) and if anything, the Trekking SL feels overbuilt for me..I don't think 230-240 would be an issue.

One other thing to consider is you need to get the bike you really want. It's a lot of money and if you really want a mountain bike, you're not going to be happy with a Trekking. If you can carry everything you need in bar- and seat-bags and don't think you'll need fenders, then get one of the mountain models and go find some dirt!

I bought a hardseven 5 months ago two weeks ago I bought an Allmtn and im selling the hardseven. Suspention is loads better IMHO

How is the ride comfort when using the wider mtb tires on tarmac vs. the more slim profile tires which are fitted on the Trekking? Any noticeable difference? I tried an ebike citybike today, which had slim profile tires and it didn't really give me the confidence to jump curbs, etc. I am leaning towards the mtb at this point, but think I need to try it out on normal road tarmac, to experience what the ride comfort is onroad.

There is no question that wider tires provide greater comfort. They distribute weight over a wider area. With 3-inch tires (and wider) you float over uneven terrain. Not only is one able to jump curbs, one can even climb stairs!

You should definitively test ride before you buy.

The Trekking Haibikes use 700 x 38C tires as standard with Schwalbe Plus Tour tires which are fairly low drag on the roads and suitable for hard packed off road trails.
The Schwalbe Smart Sam tires, 700 x 40C are wider and knobbier, fit the same rims, and are more suitable for off road and at the same time they work well on paved roads, perhaps with a little more drag. There are probably several more options too. The cost of a pair of tires is very small compared to the cost of a fancier bike and pressures can be experimented with for comfort.

Back