Need help - which Haibike to choose?

There is no question that wider tires provide greater comfort. They distribute weight over a wider area. With 3-inch tires (and wider) you float over uneven terrain. Not only is one able to jump curbs, one can even climb stairs!

You should definitively test ride before you buy.

Does that apply for when you ride on normal paved roads as well?

Awesome post JayVee. Thanks for contributing.

I will need lights, fenders and a kickstand, not a rack. Is it easy enough to connect front and rear lights to the Yamaha system and how much will it cost? I would like a system that is integrated and draws power from the bikes battery. Any recommandations?

As for the fenders it would be nice if they are removable like the ones you linked to. I think I am gonna go with a mtb. I really want to be able to go offroad during the weekends and as long as the mtb also will be able to handle my daily commute of 15 miles I think its the better option for me.

Awesome post JayVee. Thanks for contributing.

I will need lights, fenders and a kickstand, not a rack. Is it easy enough to connect front and rear lights to the Yamaha system and how much will it cost? I would like a system that is integrated and draws power from the bikes battery. Any recommandations?

As for the fenders it would be nice if they are removable like the ones you linked to. I think I am gonna go with a mtb. I really want to be able to go offroad during the weekends and as long as the mtb also will be able to handle my daily commute of 15 miles I think its the better option for me.
The Trekking models come with wired lights so it's technically possible to do a DIY job, but I don't think it's worth the hassle. I have USB-chargeable front and rear lights (Cygolite) that I swap to whichever bike I'm riding, and they're both brighter than the stock Haibike lights. You could even run the front light off the touchpad, it has a mini USB port which Bikespeed sells an adapter for. One end plugs into the mini port, then you plug your standard-USB charging cable into the standard Bikespeed port.

I'll echo the others' comments about fat tires on the street: You're going to get more comfort, with the cost coming in slightly less efficiency and a little more weight. That efficiency/weight penalty is negligible on an ebike, so go big!

Larger tires well definitely be more comfortable, and I agree with other posts...the efficiency loss is negligible. Even on non electric forums the same consensus is reached. Some even believe that once at speed they may be more efficient as they carry momentum better.

If the bike is going to be used extensively for commuting one thing I've seen as an issue before is if you ever wanted to use a city bus with a bike rack, plus size and fat tires won't fit! Just a minor thing to be aware of depending on your intended use.

If you are handy, you can take a look at this pdf

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...zLXRlY2gtc3VwcG9ydHxneDo1Y2QzOWM4ODRhMmM3MGYx

On page 2-1 you can see the cable layout next to the motor including the socket for lights.
Gain access by first removing the plastic bash guard below the motor then loosening the 3 torque indicated bolts that hold the motor and remove the upper two. Then pivot the motor down on the 3rd loose bolt and all is revealed. Be careful not to over tighten the bolts when you replace them as the frame is aluminum and threaded (easy to strip).
At the top of the down tube, it is really simple to remove the plastic cable guide which then reveals a rectangular hole. An electrical cable can then be easily fed down to the motor area and a connection made to the lights connection. I think I read somewhere that the lights power is 6v. Someone will confirm no doubt.
You could then hook up a light you want, like the M99 pure (not cheap!!) or something similar.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...zLXRlY2gtc3VwcG9ydHxneDo1Y2QzOWM4ODRhMmM3MGYx

On page 2-1 you can see the cable layout next to the motor including the socket for lights.
Gain access by first removing the plastic bash guard below the motor then loosening the 3 torque indicated bolts that hold the motor and remove the upper two. Then pivot the motor down on the 3rd loose bolt and all is revealed. Be careful not to over tighten the bolts when you replace them as the frame is aluminum and threaded (easy to strip).
At the top of the down tube, it is really simple to remove the plastic cable guide which then reveals a rectangular hole. An electrical cable can then be easily fed down to the motor area and a connection made to the lights connection. I think I read somewhere that the lights power is 6v. Someone will confirm no doubt.
You could then hook up a light you want, like the M99 pure (not cheap!!) or something similar.

Piper-Looks simple enough after looking over the diagram (and I am not even that handy). I think if Don takes his time, he can do it, otherwise a LBS may charge him $$ for labor. Or perhaps they can throw that in at purchase to seal the deal IMHO. Good luck!

Supernova is a high-quality e-Bike light.
Another light you should consider is Light and Motion Nip 800.
It's a simple installation if you have the tools.

it's probably easiest and economical to add an aftermarket light like the Lupine or the Niterider.

Supernova recently released few instructional videos on the light installation.

Wonderful nice clear Youtube movies !! :) Obviously come from North Germany.
Das gefällt mir Hochdeutsche zu hören. Thank you Lenny.

How is the ride comfort when using the wider mtb tires on tarmac vs. the more slim profile tires which are fitted on the Trekking? Any noticeable difference? I tried an ebike citybike today, which had slim profile tires and it didn't really give me the confidence to jump curbs, etc. I am leaning towards the mtb at this point, but think I need to try it out on normal road tarmac, to experience what the ride comfort is onroad.

Hello Don- Did you finally make a choice on your new ebike purchase? If so, what did you choose? I think after reading your posts, I would also opt for the MTB.
So confusing and hard to decide, but all worth the sweat in the long run. Good Luck!

Back