Need help picking first E-Bike

Logan Gogarty

I'm 6 feet tall about 160 lbs. I love to ride bikes. I've ridden a Stromer around the parking lot as well as a Focus MTB. I enjoyed both bikes. I have a 16 mile commute with a few hills here and there nothing major. I live in Denver CO. I would be able to charge my bike in my office. I also live on the third floor of an apt building and would be carrying my bike up the stairs. (I probably wont be in the apt after the year is up) I don't mind carrying a heavier bike as long as it is not ridiculous like the long cargo bikes, those are a bit much.

There is a shop here that carries Pedego and Easy Motion as well as bionx kits http://espokes4folks.com/. I can't decide between a road bike or mountain bike. I like to jump offs curbs and ride wheelies but don't know if that's really a good idea on these bikes. I would like to ride when its wet and the weather is bad too.

I have a 29er Gary Fisher with a nice front fork (lockout capable) and disc brakes, single speed and thought about converting that?

I definitely don't want to spend more than 3k and don't mind buying used just haven't seen anything yet. The main reason I'm interested in an e bike is because I hate sitting in traffic and there are nice bike paths that I can take all the way to work. I want an e bike to speed up my ride to work so it doesn't take so long to get there and so I don't feel as worn out. Any suggestions? Please let me know if you need more information.

Basic BBS02 with basic battery would work, if you like the mid-drive idea on your present bike. You do not have very difficult demands. You can certainly start with the Reviews Page and consider the Price Categories. Top speed seems to matter a lot to younger riders.

There is an 8 Fun builder forum, or Bafang, here, lots more on Endless Sphere. Lectric Cycles and EM3ev are two vendors with helpful web pages. Luna Cycle has value prices on batteries.

You might be a candidate for a Bionx D500 kit on your existing bike. VERY well built system with excellent power, controller, and display. One can be had for about $1800 to $1900. An Easy Motion 29er would work just fine as would a Haibike 29er. However you are looking at $3K plus..........................................Any decent bike will be able to handle a 16 mile commute with no problem. Also, Focus makes a model called Thron that is a fantastic bike.

That bike would very nice with either the Bafang crank drive or a wheel hub motor. Can buy awfully nice Chinese sourced kits for $1500 or less. The midrive is a lot harder on drive trains, but if you're going to stay single speed that's not really a consideration. ;0)

Then too, you've experienced nice factory made bikes and seen what you get there for another $1,000 used.

Check out the Diamondback Trace EXC on sale now at Performance Bikes if you have one close. Great bike at any price and if you can get it for less than 2k its a steal. Good review here as well. Let us know what you buy finally .,,

Thank you everyone for the ideas. I've been reading about the Bionx D500 the Bafang and then looking at bikes as well. Is there a disadvantage to making a single speed electric? Your top speed is just more limited right? I could change out my sprocket so it is geared hard and then use throttle till I get up to speed to pedal easily. I like the simplicity of a single speed but realize it doesn't give you a good range.

Single speed would drive me nuts, but then a fixie would too. I only use maybe 3-4 gears on any of my ebikes, but I'd absolutely want those. Shifting down for hills and up for max speed makes a big difference in performance, fun and keeping the motor from over working (heat).
Depending on how the power is setup, which front ring I'm on totally changes how the assist kicks in or not per a given speed, which is also very useful for tuning for day to day personal performance differences. (dragging, feeling great, etc), so it's nice to have.
The most efficiency is maintaining a steady cadence and not overworking on hills and sprints. Works on both battery and body, and thus is awfully nice to be able to adjust. FWIW

Single speed would drive me nuts, but then a fixie would too. I only use maybe 3-4 gears on any of my ebikes, but I'd absolutely want those. Shifting down for hills and up for max speed makes a big difference in performance, fun and keeping the motor from over working (heat).
Depending on how the power is setup, which front ring I'm on totally changes how the assist kicks in or not per a given speed, which is also very useful for tuning for day to day personal performance differences. (dragging, feeling great, etc), so it's nice to have.
The most efficiency is maintaining a steady cadence and not overworking on hills and sprints. Works on both battery and body, and thus is awfully nice to be able to adjust. FWIW
+1

Thats a really good point just from an efficiency standpoint and not putting as much strain on the motor. Having gears and assisting the motor will probably make the motor last a lot longer.

Has anyone ridden the 700 e bike called the wave ? It goes 28 kind of a beach cruiser style. I have a better idea of what I want now that I've ridden to work a few times on my reg bike. Fenders lights 28mph comfortable riding position and a place to strap my stuff done. I would also like to spend less than 3 500. Any suggestions ? I'm considering the izip brand

Ok just read that whole thread and happy now that I haven't purchased a wave bike. Thanks for passing that along. I have a good shop here in Denver, CO I will continue to research and ride.

If you are going to do a conversion to the rear wheel anyways, you could always add a cassette and derailleur if your bike has a place to mount the derailleur.

@Logan Gogarty

Before you purchase anything practice run carrying an ebike. You may want to wait until you move to a lower floor!

Take your Gary Fisher bike and attach a gallon of water in the triangle of your frame. Take another gallon of water and attach it to your rear rack. Now carry the bike down the stairs... Wait a few minutes, or go for a short ride, then try to carry the bike and water jugs up the stairs.. Is that something you want to do every day?

Your Fisher bike weighs around 33 lbs, and the minimum for any ebike kit is 16 lbs.. And even a new, light ebike is going to be around 50 lbs.. The Stromer is 65 lbs with the rack and accessories.

The Copenhagen wheel would be perfect for you, and it weighs around 13 lbs total. Except that hasn't shipped yet.. Maybe next year.

You sound like you're in pretty good shape so you don't need much motor to help you along. I'd get an eBike kit and a smallish battery and a geared hub.

Wait until January when dealers want to unload their stock.

Cant you just use the throttle and slowly walk the bike up the stairs? Great advice and I have looked into the copenhagen wheel that seems like a sweet deal. I don't need an e bike because I can make the ride without any assistance but my reasoning for getting one is to increase my average speed so I can leave for work later and get there sooner. That is why I'm interested in a 28mph bike. I wouldn't mind having the ability to go faster either even though I realize it is illegal.

Great advice about waiting till January to buy. Everytime I ride to work I think of how awesome it would be on an e bike. I ride 17 miles in one hours and thus I'm averaging 17 mph and I would love to be able to average 25 mph or more which I think is doable since I ride all on bike paths.

Cant you just use the throttle and slowly walk the bike up the stairs? Great advice and I have looked into the copenhagen wheel that seems like a sweet deal. I don't need an e bike because I can make the ride without any assistance but my reasoning for getting one is to increase my average speed so I can leave for work later and get there sooner. That is why I'm interested in a 28mph bike. I wouldn't mind having the ability to go faster either even though I realize it is illegal.

Great advice about waiting till January to buy. Everytime I ride to work I think of how awesome it would be on an e bike. I ride 17 miles in one hours and thus I'm averaging 17 mph and I would love to be able to average 25 mph or more which I think is doable since I ride all on bike paths.

Have you looked at Faraday bikes? I don't have any experience with other ebikes other than the ones I tried at my LBS but I did buy a Faraday Porteur. They weigh about 39lb so I'd think you'd be able to carry it up some stairs. It's significantly heavier than my road bike but I don't find it unbearable.

Sales for 2015 ebikes don't start in Jan. 2016; they're happening NOW after the announcement of new models. That's even though none of those models will be available until next spring (at the earliest) I know, been doing this for a bunch of years. If you haven't had a chance to check out the Izip product yet, the Dash sounds like it would work pretty well for speed and range. Pull the battery off when you get ready to go upstairs and pop it into a backpack and then the weight is a little easier to handle. When I lived upstairs and commuted only by bike, the bike was slung over my shoulder either using the middle triangle or the nose of the saddle to make it easier to manage the stairs. There's no perfect solution; however, as much as I like the design of the Faraday Porteur, it doesn't have the specs you say you want. And the Copenhagen wheel, well everyone is still waiting.

Test rides are great and being in Denver you have several shops to choose from. Tom at SmallPlanetEbikes has been in the business for a number of years and can help you sort this out! He carries a wide spectrum of ebikes, including the Izip line.

The Faraday bikes are beautiful but how fast are they? I can almost average 20 mph for my ride now and I want to find something that reaches 28 mph. I have visited with Tom and rode some stromers and focus bikes but they were a bit out of my price range. I will call and see if he has any Izip bikes in stock. Thanks for all the help! I would like to find a used Easy Motion Nitro City or something similar.

Faraday bikes are classy! but reach the 20mph point, not 28mph. You would like that Easy Motion; however, if you buy used it's likely there will be no warranty, so its a trade-off. Enjoy the search :)

The specs on the Faraday fall well below most other ebikes. It doesn t weigh as much because you don't get as much. It's just $$$ 250W motor, 250 WattHour battery, that cannot be supplemented.

Powering an eBike up the stairs sounds kinda dangerous cause it will take off on you, and might wheelie and crash.

If you're really determined find a steel road bike or hybrid that weighs around 25 lbs. Then you would have a 40 lbs eBike.. Still more than most would want to carry up 3 flights, but you may be used to it by now.

Last edited:
Back