NCM Battery Problem

Steve Webb

Have had my NCM Moscow for just over 2 years without issues. Recently went to bike repairer to have brakes upgraded to hydraulic ones. When I collected it the guy said battery has no power or lights as if completely dead. I've tried 2 different chargers. Does anyone know if the battery is repairable or where I get s replacement? It is an NCM Moscow with 48V and 13 AH.

Battery could be repairable , but when I enquired the repair was a lot more expensive than a replacement if you’re paying someone to do it .
The battery has groups of cells , if one group goes too far out of balance the Battery Management System will shut the whole battery down.

You could bypass the BMS to jump start the charging , but this is potentially very dangerous . Putting the battery in the freezer ( in a plastic bag to reduce condensation) for a few hours and then charging sometimes rebalances the groups and let’s the battery charge .

I got a new battery from China via Ali express ( in uk like you so unavailable from Leon ) , 14 aH I think . It was reasonably priced and so far has been as good if not better than the battery that came with the bike .

Take a look at the messages on the Ncm forum about batteries too , lots of useful information there .

Last edited:
Have had my NCM Moscow for just over 2 years without issues. Recently went to bike repairer to have brakes upgraded to hydraulic ones. When I collected it the guy said battery has no power or lights as if completely dead. I've tried 2 different chargers. Does anyone know if the battery is repairable or where I get s replacement? It is an NCM Moscow with 48V and 13 AH.
I¨d ask the repair guy, since it was working when you brought it in, & wasn´t coming out. I´ve put 4k mi. on mine
no battery problems

Unforntunately he says the work he done would have no effect on the battery, I have taken it apart and no loose fittings, charger works fine and just totally dead. I think will need to get a replacement if can find one as places are showing out of stock. Do you know if can replace with a higher ampage? Mine is a 48W and 13amh?

Unforntunately he says the work he done would have no effect on the battery, I have taken it apart and no loose fittings, charger works fine and just totally dead. I think will need to get a replacement if can find one as places are showing out of stock. Do you know if can replace with a higher ampage? Mine is a 48W and 13amh?
Yes you can if you can find one. The M+ has a 16ah that was available from leoncycle(?) Others on the
NCM forum have found 21 ah & even a 25ah, but I don´t recall what posts. Any pack for 48v or 52v
would work, but may need a different mount or connector. You might check with other bikes that use
the dorado type pack or simply search online for ´dorado ebike battery´. Lengths vary, but can be adapted.
I have a shorter 21ah from a different bike I can clamp in with a 6¨ hose clamp over sandpaper to grip it.
P.S. just checked with search ´dorado ebike battery´ . There are a lot to choose from. Check for quality
cells like samsung or panasonic. Still, I would not trust that shop with my bike again; who knows what
really went down? Changing pads is a very simple task*, 1/2 hr. max. I can do it in 15 min. or less. Install
of hydraulics not too complicated either unless you maybe spill fluid & short out the battery?
*once you know how.

Last edited:
Well I've applied the contact cleaner, check the switch, checked the fuses and think have to conclude its totally deaf. So looks like new battery only option.

Had a tough time defining whose cells are in the many sellers out there. Dhgate sells Dehawk packs, 18ah,
for $463 US, free shipping. Dehawk was stock for the Moscow, & I´ve had no issues with mine, 2 yr.+,
4000 mi. So I´m inclined to trust seller though like many others it does not specify cell mfg. I wouldn´t need
more than 18ah; since accustomed to using a lower gear with a higher cadence I´m getting 60+ mi. on 13ah per
charge. 70% of the time I use little or no juice. Once the bike is up to speed, pedaling maintains momentum
with little power even up minor grades.

Last edited:
Had a tough time defining whose cells are in the many sellers out there. Dhgate sells Dehawk packs, 18ah,
for $463 US, free shipping. Dehawk was stock for the Moscow, & I´ve had no issues with mine, 2 yr.+,
4000 mi. So I´m inclined to trust seller though like many others it does not specify cell mfg. I wouldn´t need
more than 18ah; since accustomed to using a lower gear with a higher cadence I´m getting 60+ mi. on 13ah per
charge. 70% of the time I use little or no juice. Once the bike is up to speed, pedaling maintains momentum
with little power even up minor grades.
Is that free shipping to UK?

Is that free shipping to UK?
No idea, the price would probably been more too. All i can add is look for dehawk in europe.
Check ¨Das Kit¨ site, should sell dehawk..? P.S. checked that, but gave price in Canadian dollars?
Amego* site really *(Canuck version of the moscow)

Last edited:
There are lots to choose from on Ali Express, advise to use a credit card for payment, for added protection. Had an issue with the first battery I brought. Would have been quicker to sort a replacement if I had used a credit card. Replacement was a 48v 21ah. Wont give you any more speed but a lot more range. Fits straight onto existing fittings.

Glad that worked for you; I tend to be hesitant about Ali Baba, but definitely an option. How much was
your 21ah? I can go a lot farther on 13ah than I ever ride in 1 go anyway. (60 mi.)

There are lots to choose from on Ali Express, advise to use a credit card for payment, for added protection. Had an issue with the first battery I brought. Would have been quicker to sort a replacement if I had used a credit card. Replacement was a 48v 21ah. Wont give you any more speed but a lot more range. Fits straight onto existing fittings.
What was the price including UK delivery? What was the delivery time like?

Reactions: RJC
Glad that worked for you; I tend to be hesitant about Ali Baba, but definitely an option. How much was
your 21ah? I can go a lot farther on 13ah than I ever ride in 1 go anyway. (60 mi.)
£300
What was the price including UK delivery? What was the delivery time like?
That was total price inc delivery. There are different sellers selling them. Read their Terms and Conditions. Some offer free returns, different warranties etc.
Took 31/2 weeks to come. Some of the sellers ship there goods from European countries ,so may come sooner.

£300

That was total price inc delivery. There are different sellers selling them. Read their Terms and Conditions. Some offer free returns, different warranties etc.
Took 31/2 weeks to come. Some of the sellers ship there goods from European countries ,so may come sooner.
You think they´d take Paypal? i´m very leery of using my card info, too many crooks out there.

£300

Don't suppose you have a link to the one you ordered as that would be helpful as a known reliable seller?

Back