My WW Custom Design / Build Diary

Not much experience with hydraulics (other than brakes) but it seems like a pro for the Kindernay as well. No cable stretch may be one less thing...

UPDATE 3: How I Made It To This Point

I’ve received private questions regarding this build so I’ll share some history.

I began thinking about a new bike 18 months ago (saving my nickels, dimes, and $20’s) after in 2017 purchasing an inexpensive 500w fat tire electric beach cruiser, my first bike in 35 years. When riding, I’d make note of the things I loved and HATED about the bike.

My top priorities were a similar frame geometry but I required a healthy increase in range, comfort, and cost to operate / down-time on a future bike. Not to mention easy cleaning!!!! One interesting thing that struck me was how strongly I felt about the battery placement and that its location should be behind the seat tube. I love this setup on my current bike.

Once I decided to spend over $5000 on a bike, it was clear to me, I had to do a custom build to get the bike just the way I wanted and there are still things I can’t have exactly like I hoped. The research began and felt endless to get to this point in the process. The Build Diary was an idea I had so when the build was over and I’d rode for some time I could go back review this thread to get a sense where my mind was along the journey. Not to mention, all the live eyes to help guide me.

Specific answers to questions I received.

“- did you look at pre-built / commercially available bikes?”
  • Yes, but I didn’t find what I wanted. The R&M is a beautiful bike but I’m not a Bosch motor fan and I wanted an IGH.

“- 4" tires for snow conditions?”
  • I’ve used both 26x4 Kenda Juggernaut Pro and N45 Husker-Du. I think I’d prefer a 26x4.5 tire but just a guess. I really like the Kenda but their life span is not the best. They do okay in fresh snow (not great) and perform well on packed snow trails. I really like them in slush and ice. They struggle in thick mud.
  • The N45 had too much float – I felt like my bike would slide out from under me. They were fine on asphalt but terrible on any wet conditions and forget ice.

More to Follow.
Michael

Last edited:
UPDATE 4: Design and Cost Finalization

Since my last post, Pushkar and I have worked on several design issues and component shortages to approach a final build list and specs. We are close, within weeks of pulling the trigger!!!

Design issues:
  1. Frame Design - Will the Gates Drive work correctly with this frame? Yes – Resolved.
  2. Battery Design - A design concept was agreed last Sunday 5/2/2021. Super excited - the specs and functionality will be amazing and I will share the specs once it is confirmed we can build it but as a teaser the capacity will be 2.2 to 2.6 kWh. A lot of thought went into this concept. In-Progress.
  3. Components – Changes from the proposed build list: Brakes, Saddle, and wired Lights – more details once the build list is confirmed. COVID Related.
  4. Color Scheme – In-Progress but nothing settled yet.
  5. Cost – Have a realistic idea on overall cost but waiting for confirmation on battery build. In-Progress.
More to Follow.
Michael

Last edited:
@mradel do you have any updates to share? I'm a Helios founder, but you're building the bike that I originally wanted. @pushkar what would be my cost of changing right now? I want all the founders benefits, but the cargo frame! Picky, I know, but given that my Helios isn't showing up anytime soon, I may as well ask....

@mradel do you have any updates to share? I'm a Helios founder, but you're building the bike that I originally wanted.
I sent a text this morning to Pushkar for updates. Once we touch base I will update the forum. Not sure I should ask but what are the Founder Benefits?

I sent a text this morning to Pushkar for updates. Once we touch base I will update the forum. Not sure I should ask but what are the Founder Benefits?
I think they got the best price possible, before the worldwide shortage of components really kicked in, and they get just is good or better parts than they originally ordered at the same price.
As the price was locked in, I am sure Pushkar profits took a hit, but he is building a prosumer base for Ebikes, and in this market that is really important, word of mouth on this forum alone will give him more business in the future, in fact he has already picked up more orders after the founders from new buyers that are just now diving into the Ebike world and want a high end product. Or people moving up on their second or third Ebike.

Last edited:
Founders got discounted bikes and components but funded the full price of these bikes over a year ago, capitalizing Pushkar's business so he can do what he is doing now. Founders have also evangelized for him on social media far and wide. So while they got a good deal on a bike, Pushkar got his business a nice boost.

Founders got discounted bikes and components but funded the full price of these bikes over a year ago, capitalizing Pushkar's business so he can do what he is doing now. Founders have also evangelized for him on social media far and wide. So while they got a good deal on a bike, Pushkar got his business a nice boost.
15 Ebikes at 8K each would be 120K, so yeah they basically invested in the company both fiscally and digitally. EBR is a good example.

15 Ebikes at 8K each would be 120K, so yeah they basically invested in the company both fiscally and digitally. EBR is a good example.
I'm a founder and I've often wondered how many of us payed the full price up front. There was an option to only put down something like $1000 or $1500, but then the cost of the bike was higher.

UPDATE 4: Design and Cost Finalization

Since my last post, Pushkar and I have worked on several design issues and component shortages to approach a final build list and specs. We are close, within weeks of pulling the trigger!!!

Design issues:
  1. Frame Design - Will the Gates Drive work correctly with this frame? Yes – Resolved.
  2. Battery Design - A design concept was agreed last Sunday 5/2/2021. Super excited - the specs and functionality will be amazing and I will share the specs once it is confirmed we can build it but as a teaser the capacity will be 2.2 to 2.6 kWh. A lot of thought went into this concept. In-Progress.
  3. Components – Changes from the proposed build list: Brakes, Saddle, and wired Lights – more details once the build list is confirmed. COVID Related.
  4. Color Scheme – In-Progress but nothing settled yet.
  5. Cost – Have a realistic idea on overall cost but waiting for confirmation on battery build. In-Progress.
More to Follow.
Michael
I spoke with @pushkar today. I'm really curious to know your progress. I may very well follow in your footsteps, so would be interested in chattin with you here, via DM, or off line. Let me know if you're available to chat....

UPDATE 5: The Waiting Game

It’s a while since my last post, thanks @AdilDesai for reminding me update you all. I spoke with Pushkar a few times since my last post. We continue to discuss the battery and the color scheme. I have tried to leave Pushkar alone as I know he has many fires to tend with other people in the pipeline.

1. Battery Design - A design concept was agreed last Sunday 5/2/2021. Super excited - the specs and functionality will be amazing and I will share the specs once it is confirmed we can build it but as a teaser the capacity will be 2.2 to 2.6 kWh. A lot of thought went into this concept. In-Progress.
    • Issue with battery placement and frame stress. Working through the issue but it appears the cell pack will be located on the rear rack.
  2. Components – Changes from the proposed build list: Brakes, Saddle, and wired Lights – more details once the build list is confirmed. COVID Related.
    • No changes
  3. Color Scheme – In-Progress but nothing settled yet.
    • Sending me custom titanium samples from shop.
  4. Cost – Have a realistic idea on overall cost but waiting for confirmation on battery build. In-Progress.
    • Expecting a final cost within two weeks.
More to Follow.
Michael

Back