My WW Custom Design / Build Diary

The top tube on this build will be slighlty larger to allow for internal cable routing.
This one - same company - has true internal routing.
The top tube on this build will be slighlty larger to allow for internal cable routing.
XACD makes s hardtail w/ splitter and dedicated internal cable routing. They'll attach whatever bracket you like.
1629683746491.png

Thing is, read this first: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=105189
No idea who did what first, but his experience with refunds mirrors mine and I agree that the Ali-reviews are untrustworthy.
I trust Pushkar to stand behind his products. He's paid the price to figure out what works. Time. Money. Frustration.
What I want to check out is their Titanium stems, bars, racks and maybe fenders - if they'll make some flats - like Honjo's SimWorks flat 80's, but in Titanium. Have you priced Honjo's? Flat 80's = $220 ea + special hardware + shipping from Japan ... Ouch. 'Out of stock. Out of stock', and Aluminum. These, $150 - 300 each should be about 1/2 the weight of steel. Ti doesn't really dent, with better flex and rebound than steel or aluminum. And the raw titanium patina, oh yes the patina.
There's a lot of great machined titanium from China. The price has more than doubled since I was buying and stockpiling a few things.
Various size seat clamps - like below - M-sized nuts, bolts
20210705_131755.jpg
Ti Bike. Ti parts. The evolution of the theme. Sticking with the plan. LOL. It all started before I found WattWagons.
I may build a rear Hub, Ti frame w/ steel dropouts, perhaps go with a pinion and Gates.
Nothing in stone yet, but love that UC. Uh huh. Hard talking myself out of it.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...offerlist.normal_offer.d_image.57737f9cp2vQCz

Hello All,

This project is dead. Battery placement was tested in different mounting positions and based on the spec was too large for frame integrity. I am still Pro WW and working with Pushkar on a different frame that can support the battery spec. Thanks to all for reading, commenting, and offering advice.

Michael

How dead is dead? I think the concept has considerable merit but was taken too far into esoteric territory. Having built cargo bikes myself, using them daily as commuters/utility haulers - and having taken them well past 550 lbs total system weight - I can see some promise here.

I've kind of wanted to do a Blackborow as a project bike - its plus sized wheel config was its best - but now that they are out of production and nobody who owns one wants to sell, they are pretty much unicorns now. I have seen that titanium clone frame on Ali and wondered about it.

I've got the experience building and using this niche to be able to come up with a feature set that would not be insane or insanely expensive. No matter what, it won't be cheap of course.

Also considering a Bullitt X - their new commercial XL version that was just released - later this year, but maybe this is the time to do an Ultra motor - especially if I can get an Archon controller with it.

@Fast n' Furious I am sure you mean well but you don't have any experience with this stuff and your conclusions are... all wrong. Not trying to provoke a flame war but you just don't have the experience to know the subject. Points for trying to think it thru, but all bad conclusions.

Head shot is dead.
One area of concern is the use of titanium for the frame at all in a cargo application. That would have to be addressed insofar as ... if its been found wanting in testing already, its probably a bad idea. Just cuz some Chinese guys did a pretty Blackborow copy doesn't mean its workable.

I've built one already, actually, although it would be considered a Lite version of a cargo bike. Dual batteries (parallel'd together to make 32ah), up to 4 30L panniers, weatherproof, potted charger on the front rack deck. Was 320w now upgraded to a 480w unit. 2wd... front 85Nm geared hub with 35a controller, plus 30a BBSHD with another 160Nm. Needless to say the battery is backed up with a badass BMS. Dual pedal assist. No issues with control or safety with that powered front wheel. This bike will go places no single-motor bike can even consider no matter its power in the back wheel. It also does steep hills in the city on pedal assist at 25 mph no problem, no throttle necessary. BUT wonky frame flex in cornering if you don't keep the sliding dropouts fully retracted. Titanium vs. chromoly is ... flexible. I actually have another bike with this same frame done in chromoly instead of ti. Its basically the same bike but uses dual geared hubs for its 2wd. No flex issues.

I'd either want to do 2wd again, which means no front suspension, or put a Wren Inverted on it and give up the front rack. Have one on my Big Fat Dummy and its awesome. Big time improvement over the Bluto that preceded it.

So... was the frame too flexy?

PXL_20211030_164757048.jpg

I've had my share of Ti bikes, including a tandem, and it is the last material I would use for an eBike of any sort let alone a cargo model. If I was going custom long bike personally I would go with an aluminum frame to save some overall weight.

Back