My updated Trek Domane +HP review - now with 4565 miles on it

I've had my 2019 Domane+ for a year and a half now. Really loving it. About 2,500 miles on it this year. Swapped the Purion for Nyon (MY21). LBS did a great job getting it installed as that requires the motor to be dropped for the change. Learning more and more as I use it. Resolving to tinker with the assist levels in 2022. Plan to drop Sport down to current Tour level, Tour down to current Eco level and Eco down to 1/2 of current assist. Will tweak from there.

On group rides, I found zero assist is easier to manage pace lines on flat roads. Assist sort of makes the bike "lurch" and makes it harder to keep steady distance from back wheel of rider in front of you. Been pretty well received by the groups I ride with. A few digs here and there about towing people up hills. I usually counter with having them lift the bike when we're at a rest stop for a bit of context.

Agree that the gearing is not optimized for bombing downhill on slight inclines. Steep grades are fine b/c of weight of me + bike, but slight inclines exceed 28 mph pretty quickly so assist cuts out and then even in smallest rear cog and pedaling full out it can be hard to keep up with some other acoustic bikes. No big worries as I always catch up on the uphills. I did take my old Conduit+ on a group ride and that was a real eye opener. Assist cutting out at 18 mph and gearing made it real hard to keep up. My avg HR for those rides is usually between 140-145 and I think I was over 150 on the Conduit+. Just had to hang on to visual contact on descents + flats and make up time on the climbs.

Looking for fun rides in 2022.

Thanks for the update and I am at nine months of ownership. I upgraded my wheels when I ordered it to the Aeolus Pro like the 7. I love this bike. I have over 1500 miles on it and my only complaint is I really don't like the flat grey paint. I feel like it will not wear well as the bike ages. The bike is basically sitting now since we are pretty much in winter here in Indiana. The motor and battery have been flawless and I like the Bosch so much better than the Shimano on my E mtb. I think it is a good idea for us all to update after we have had some miles on our bikes. Thanks
Thanks! I have been viewing some videos on painting carbon but so scared I will f*ck it up! Here is a video, I found that might work when it is warm!

I've had my 2019 Domane+ for a year and a half now. Really loving it. About 2,500 miles on it this year. Swapped the Purion for Nyon (MY21). LBS did a great job getting it installed as that requires the motor to be dropped for the change. Learning more and more as I use it. Resolving to tinker with the assist levels in 2022. Plan to drop Sport down to current Tour level, Tour down to current Eco level and Eco down to 1/2 of current assist. Will tweak from there.

On group rides, I found zero assist is easier to manage pace lines on flat roads. Assist sort of makes the bike "lurch" and makes it harder to keep steady distance from back wheel of rider in front of you. Been pretty well received by the groups I ride with. A few digs here and there about towing people up hills. I usually counter with having them lift the bike when we're at a rest stop for a bit of context.

Agree that the gearing is not optimized for bombing downhill on slight inclines. Steep grades are fine b/c of weight of me + bike, but slight inclines exceed 28 mph pretty quickly so assist cuts out and then even in smallest rear cog and pedaling full out it can be hard to keep up with some other acoustic bikes. No big worries as I always catch up on the uphills. I did take my old Conduit+ on a group ride and that was a real eye opener. Assist cutting out at 18 mph and gearing made it real hard to keep up. My avg HR for those rides is usually between 140-145 and I think I was over 150 on the Conduit+. Just had to hang on to visual contact on descents + flats and make up time on the climbs.

I am hoping someone will put a bigger front chainring on their bike and then tell about their experiences!

my bosch has a 46 chainring. well 18 but =still and a 11x34 cassette and I dont spin out till around 32. it came with a 50 and I wouldn't to spin out till over 35.

Thanks for the update, thats awesome. Yeah 100 percent about declines and keeping up with race bikes. The heart rate data is great, because it demonstrates that your working it. The ebike is great for not blowing yourself out, or once you do you can get your self home with a recovery ride

My morning ride
EB6495E3-5DCE-481F-9DAE-3A5FA7A66025.jpeg

I too put the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V TLR Disc Road 700x28 Wheels that come on the better non electric Domane bikes on to my Domane + and I seem to average about 2mph better than the 35mm that came on the bike originally. The wheels and the Nyon are the only two upgrades I have done, and Im pleased with the smiles/mile ratio. The competitive part of me would like the newer engine that goes up to 85nm, but the rational part of me reminds myself that I don't use sport or turbo anyway.

Well after almost a year of owning the bike, I think it is time for a refresh of how owners of this model are doing on here! As for me, I have updated the Kiox to the Nyon and switch out the alloy wheels for Aeolus 3v in front and RSL 37V in back. I am also looking to put on a 625 battery and switching out the rear for a Shimano XTR M9100 10-51T. The author of this thread influenced me. I enjoy the bike and I think these new improvement keeps it relevant for years. Even with the updates, based on the original discounted price, I have not exceed what a new HP would cost today and the specs seriously competes with the HP-7 except for the electronic shifting. Then again, if I can catch a used system on eBay for a fraction of it new then I am on it!
Can you replace the 500 W battery on the Domane+ with the 625? It would certainly be preferable than carrying another battery.

I too put the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V TLR Disc Road 700x28 Wheels that come on the better non electric Domane bikes on to my Domane + and I seem to average about 2mph better than the 35mm that came on the bike originally. The wheels and the Nyon are the only two upgrades I have done, and Im pleased with the smiles/mile ratio. The competitive part of me would like the newer engine that goes up to 85nm, but the rational part of me reminds myself that I don't use sport or turbo anyway.
The Bosch free upgrade puts it up to 85nm. You should already have it!

Haven't got back mine from the shop with the new Nyon yet but excited! How do you like it? I can't wait to try the navigation and edit the custom ride modes!

Haven't got back mine from the shop with the new Nyon yet but excited! How do you like it? I can't wait to try the navigation and edit the custom ride modes!
I think you will love the Nyon. So many customizable screens to show you everything you could possibly want. The nav is decent but still has some glitches. Overall I think its the best cycle computer out there, and certainly the best when combined with the Bosch motor. Several other threads discuss all the ins and outs, but they periodically update it with continued improvements.

Can you replace the 500 W battery on the Domane+ with the 625? It would certainly be preferable than carrying another battery.
If the battery cage is the same as the HP then yes you can. The 500 uses spacers that is not needed with the 625. That I found out with talking with Trek!

I appreciate your latest; thanks👍!

My 2021 Domane+ HP since July 2021 is now about 1120mi. Most time, I ride with Eco mode. Of course, for challenging hills - think Mt Rainier, Hurricane Ridge, and Mt St Helen - higher modes are life safer. You still have to pump hard tho’!

Changes I’ve made:
- upgraded wheels w Domane+ HP7’s standard version, a carbon, higher-volume, tubeless ready, about 1.5lb lighter each / awesome handling in gravel/road;
- added Topeak rear rack (note: this bike’s not design to include front rack);
- also Ortlieb pannier bags, Topeak MTX Trunk Drybag, Revelate Tangle, two others; and finally
- a Range Boost 500Wh battery add-on.

My present goal is to ride minimalistic long distance rider, inn-to-inn cycling adventures. Bear in mind, the maximum total weight limit for this carbon bike (combined weight of bicycle, rider, and cargo) is only a mere 275 pounds (125 kg)!

Somehow, the bike and I will manage.😄

Attachments

• 26552FA2-2F7E-42E8-AA32-73379B0F1DBF.jpeg
    26552FA2-2F7E-42E8-AA32-73379B0F1DBF.jpeg
    793.4 KB · Views: 265
I appreciate your latest; thanks👍!

My 2021 Domane+ HP since July 2021 is now about 1120mi. Most time, I ride with Eco mode. Of course, for challenging hills - think Mt Rainier, Hurricane Ridge, and Mt St Helen - higher modes are life safer. You still have to pump hard tho’!

Changes I’ve made:
- upgraded wheels w Domane+ HP7’s standard version, a carbon, higher-volume, tubeless ready, about 1.5lb lighter each / awesome handling in gravel/road;
- added Topeak rear rack (note: this bike’s not design to include front rack);
- also Ortlieb pannier bags, Topeak MTX Trunk Drybag, Revelate Tangle, two others; and finally
- a Range Boost 500Wh battery add-on.

My present goal is to ride minimalistic long distance rider, inn-to-inn cycling adventures. Bear in mind, the maximum total weight limit for this carbon bike (combined weight of bicycle, rider, and cargo) is only a mere 275 pounds (125 kg)!

Somehow, the bike and I will manage.😄
Damn, that is one nice looking setup! You look like you can go for days with that setup! What is your range with the dual batteries?

At most I recall is a 3-day ride of approx 125 miles, the bike still had 35% charge left. It was mostly flat and about 2 major hills. When it gets closer to 30%, I get both the integrated 1000Wh batteries recharged.

At most I recall is a 3-day ride of approx 125 miles, the bike still had 35% charge left. It was mostly flat and about 2 major hills. When it gets closer to 30%, I get both the integrated 1000Wh batteries recharged.
What setting did you have it on if you remember?

Back