My U1-600 Battery About To Catch Fire Or Explode?

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, Poland
I'm worried.

After my return from the race, I put my 'Gray' Vado battery on charging. To my surprise, the charging stopped after some time, and would not restart. No warning LEDs, no message either in the Specialized App or BLEvo. After a long time to lay "on the idle", I inserted the battery into my Vado and did temperature measurement with BLEvo. 41 C, uh-oh! I was later carrying the battery in a pannier on my Vado to occasionally measure the temperature. It reached 36 C minimum but would not cool more (it was 26 C outside). I left the water-proof pannier at a remote safe place in the parking lot in the shadow.

This morning, I took the battery in my hand and it was still warm!

I expect there might be a short circuit in one of the cells. If the temperature of the battery would increase, the other cells might fail as well, which would end up in a fire or an explosion. I decidedly cannot keep the battery in my apartment as I cannot jeopardize myself or my neighbours!

I really don't know what to do. Take the battery to the fire station and talk with a fire-fighting officer? Do they know anything how to handle a failing Li-Ion battery?

I'm so worried.

Wish I could help but I have no idea, I think your suggestion of taking it to the fire station is the best solution as they probably have experience with electric battery fires i.e cars phones etc, ps is there some significance when you say "gray " Vado. Good luck.

Still warm overnight isnt good, Ive had a battery stay warm for 10 hours, but it was too hot to touch before that.
No charging as well..
Time for this I think.

ZaMJpiS.jpg

UPDATE: Despite being held overnight on a shady lawn, the battery remains at 36 C. The charge dropped from 37 down to 15% overnight. The reported full battery capacity is now 466 instead of 517 Wh.

There obviously is a short circuit inside the battery, meaning the battery is dead. I hope the battery at least gets cold when discharged, and of course I will never put it on charging again!

I need to find out how damaged Li-Ion batteries can be disposed of here.

UPDATE: Despite being held overnight on a shady lawn, the battery remains at 36 C. The charge dropped from 37 down to 15% overnight. The reported full battery capacity is now 466 instead of 517 Wh.

There obviously is a short circuit inside the battery, meaning the battery is dead. I hope the battery at least gets cold when discharged, and of course I will never put it on charging again!

I need to find out how damaged Li-Ion batteries can be disposed of here.
Why not ring or call into the Specialized dealer you are most familiar with and ask their advice. I think Specialized have a system for recycling old batteries dunno if it’s in operation yet or in Poland. They might also be able to run diagnostics. Might even get a replacement for you!

Why not ring or call into the Specialized dealer you are most familiar with and ask their advice. I think Specialized have a system for recycling old batteries dunno if it’s in operation yet or in Poland. They might also be able to run diagnostics. Might even get a replacement for you!
I don't think Specialized in Poland is as advanced :)
Will try anyway!

The battery was manufactured in 2017, and activated on 1st November 2019. Around 140 charging cycles.
My Vado is the same 2019, and the estimate is that it has approx. 120 cycles (9,700km/80=120) ...For now, the capacity is reduced compared to earlier.With one charge previously 80-90 km, now it is about 70 km

I

It’s worth a shot. They must have come across this before with previous customers. You’d hope they’d have suggestions about what to do.
Guess what. I am the first customer with such an issue 😃 It looks I am a nestor of Poland's e-biking and perhaps the first Specialized e-bike rider in Warsaw 😊

Specialized Warsaw handles its own old batteries by an external firm that needs to be paid. My contact promised checking how my case could be handled.

I

It’s worth a shot. They must have come across this before with previous customers. You’d hope they’d have suggestions about what to do.
... if I remember correctly, the manufacturer guaranteed 300 cycles and that the battery capacity will be at 70%, let that be an argument....

Guess what. I am the first customer with such an issue 😃 It looks I am a nestor of Poland's e-biking and perhaps the first Specialized e-bike rider in Warsaw 😊

Specialized Warsaw handles its own old batteries by an external firm that needs to be paid. My contact promised checking how my case could be handled.
Is this not a Specialized battery? Could be on shaky ground then.

One of the cells could have deteriorated and become a heater. Very dangerous to recharge or use. If you can feel 36C at the case, it must be pretty warm inside, enough to trip the Specialized thermal sensors which I would expect then to be using,

You're right to drop it off at the shop. Hopefully, they have it in a box outside the back of the shop.

Is this not a Specialized battery? Could be on shaky ground then.
I meant Specialized Warsaw (the LBS) has to dispose the batteries they own themselves.

possibly damaged by the vibrations from your tough ride on rough surfaces. not what specialized expected the full size vado to be used for!
I'd rather say a 7 year old battery has lived for a pretty long time. Levo/Kenevo batteries are not very much different, only are in a different format.

One of the cells could have deteriorated and become a heater. Very dangerous to recharge or use.
A correct diagnosis. The battery is warm in its single area.
I won't connect it to the charger again!

If you can feel 36C at the case, it must be pretty warm inside
No, that's a value measured by the software from the battery sensor. I'm only surprised error codes were not launched.

... if I remember correctly, the manufacturer guaranteed 300 cycles and that the battery capacity will be at 70%, let that be an argument....
Nay. That was 3 years since the purchase or 300 cycles (whichever came first).

UPDATE: After a way more than 24 hours, a spot on the battery is still very warm!

UPDATE: After a way more than 24 hours, a spot on the battery is still very warm!
Second time around you should be able to get a better settlement from Specialized. I'm sure their legal and accounting department still have your information on file.

Back