My new Magnum Ui5 : first impressions

It really bugs me that, when I get such helpful info from someone, I have to use an internet 'handle' and can't say 'Thanks, John!'. So instead, I'll have to say Thanks, Nirmala! Court's report was similar to your own re: manufacturing origin: He was told Israel is where the business savvy is located and China is where the metal is bent.

One suggestion for you, Nirmala: You might want to think about getting a bike work stand. Your odds are doubled, over the rest of us, for one coming in handy, and it sounds like you've climbed the learning curve enough that you'll getting your hands dirty as tires need replacing, pads wear, and you find new gadgets to tack onto the bikes. <s>

Thanks again for sharing your impressions. I really do appreciate it.

You are very welcome. I have considered getting a bike stand. In the meantime I hang my bikes rear wheel a few inches off the ground with a rope. It is better than nothing, and it costs a bit to get a stand that will hold a 50-60 pound bike.

PS: Nirmala is the name I go by in the "real" world. It is my spiritual name: http://endless-satsang.com

I also got a Magnum Ui5 recently. It was an exchange for a LEED 500 kit that did not fit my bike. LEED would not refund my Kickstarter money, but they were willing to give me a credit on any other kit or bike, and the Magnum Ui5 was the only bike they sold of my size.

I will only add a few brief comments to Nirmala's excellent observations. (Court's official review on this site is the best, of course!)

The bike is fun to ride, mostly due to the novelty of having my leg power amplified. I can climb hills I never could before, and this ability expands my range. This is exactly why I need an electric bike!

The throttle, however, is useless. It hardly does anything at all, even after changing it to try to find its most powerful setting.

The ride quality, however, is stiff and harsh. This is probably mostly due to the aluminum frame. (My regular bikes are steel, and steel has a smoother, more flowing ride quality.) The front suspension fork helps a little, but it's a budget fork crying for an upgrade. The quality Schwalbe Big Ben tires help the most, although I wish they were black to hide the dirt better.

The battery is long-lasting. I have not been able to discharge it completely, mostly because my trips are generally less than 30 miles roundtrip. In San Diego, I ride a combination of hilly and flat terrain. However, the battery-charge display is not accurate. Once, I turned around when the display said I only had half the charge left. When I got home the display still indicated I had half the charge left.

I like the way the battery is integrated with the frame, but it's almost impossible to insert the plug to charge the battery in place. You pretty much have to remove the battery to charge it.

It's nice to have an adjustable stem, but even after tightening all four screws under the brand stickers there is still a tiny bit of movement.

I just ordered a Thudbuster. Hopefully, it will smooth the ride. (I emailed Body Float but never got an answer. No response, no business!)

Last edited:
Glad you are enjoying your Ui5! I got a LT Thudbuster and it did help with smoothing the ride.

I also put some Loctite adhesive on the screws in the stem and that seems to keep them tight.

The throttle should be useful as long as you are in the higher assist settings, i.e. 4-6. I use it a lot to get started again after stopping at an intersection or the like.

Glad you are enjoying your Ui5! I got a LT Thudbuster and it did help with smoothing the ride.

I also put some Loctite adhesive on the screws in the stem and that seems to keep them tight.

The throttle should be useful as long as you are in the higher assist settings, i.e. 4-6. I use it a lot to get started again after stopping at an intersection or the like.

Thank you, Nirmala, for your comments.

The Thudbuster is great! If I ever sell this bike I will keep the Thudbuster.

I got my LBS to adjust the stem properly, and it seems to stay in the locked position now. (The side screws are not the issue, and they said not to overtighten those.) They did comment that adjustable stems are not the best.

Yes, you're right about the throttle. It is great to get started after a stop. Other than that, it doesn't really work when you're already under way.

Unfortunately, there are a couple of things I don't like about this bike:

It is difficult to keep the white saddle clean.

And the chain has a tendency to fall off when going over a sharp bump at moderate speed. It has happened three times already.

Thank you, Nirmala, for your comments.

The Thudbuster is great! If I ever sell this bike I will keep the Thudbuster.

I got my LBS to adjust the stem properly, and it seems to stay in the locked position now. (The side screws are not the issue, and they said not to overtighten those.) They did comment that adjustable stems are not the best.

Yes, you're right about the throttle. It is great to get started after a stop. Other than that, it doesn't really work when you're already under way.

Unfortunately, there are a couple of things I don't like about this bike:

It is difficult to keep the white saddle clean.

And the chain has a tendency to fall off when going over a sharp bump at moderate speed. It has happened three times already.

I got a comfier black saddle as I have very little built in padding on my butt and so I need all the help I can get, as described in this thread: http://electricbikereview.com/community/threads/my-long-journey-to-a-comfortable-butt.3127/

I have also had the chain fall off a couple of times, but not enough to be a problem....maybe your LBS would have some suggestions for adjustments that would help with that.

Interesting that you solved the problem with the stem without using Loctite. It is working for me now, so I will leave well enough alone.

off topic
nirmala i will be working a few times in flagstaff over the summer and would like to ride my easy motion street up there, it has the thinner tires and does best on paved roads

could you point me to some paved roads/areas/bike paths with slow and little traffic
think it would be fine on some packed dirt also
hoping to do some 20-30 miles rides

thank you

off topic
nirmala i will be working a few times in flagstaff over the summer and would like to ride my easy motion street up there, it has the thinner tires and does best on paved roads

could you point me to some paved roads/areas/bike paths with slow and little traffic
think it would be fine on some packed dirt also
hoping to do some 20-30 miles rides

thank you

Flagstaff has an extensive network of over 50 miles of paved and packed dirt dedicated bike paths. You can download a PDF of the map here: http://www.flagstaff.az.gov/index.aspx?NID=1521

It is pretty easy to plot out a 20-30 mile route that is mostly on bike paths. We drive up there a lot in the summer and use the bike paths for a change of scenery from Sedona.

Here is a description of the trails:

Flagstaff Urban Trails System

The Flagstaff Urban Trails System (FUTS, say "foots") is a city-wide network of non-motorized, shared-use pathways that are used by bicyclists, walkers, hikers, runners, and other users for both recreation and transportation.

At present there are just over 50 miles of FUTS trails in Flagstaff. The overall master plan shows about 80 miles of future trails, to complete a planned system of 130 miles.

About half of the miles of existing trails are paved, either in concrete or asphalt, and half consist of a hard-packed, aggregate surface. FUTS trails are generally eight or ten feet in width.

FUTS trails offer an incredibly diverse range of experiences; some trails are located along busy streets, while others traverse beautiful natural places - canyons, riparian areas, grasslands, meadows, and forests - all within the urban area of Flagstaff. The system connects neighborhoods, shopping, places of employment, schools, parks, open space, and the surrounding National Forest, and allows users to combine transportation, recreation and contact with nature.

With a few exceptions, FUTS trails are operated and maintained by the City of Flagstaff.

According to the City of Flagstaff Citizen Survey 2009, 78 percent of Flagstaff residents have used the FUTS trail system in the last year.

awesome, thank you so much for this info

and i guess no issues with electric bikes on this path?

cannot wait to get up there in a few weeks, it is 115 at my house in tucson right now!!!

I have never had any problems with riding my electric bike on the paths.

And I hear you about the heat....it is 104 here in Sedona.

well i am a slow rider and not expecting any issues, my EM Street does not look electric either

cannot believe it is that hot in sedona, you guys are pretty high elevation arent you
just checked that and looks like you are 4300, think payson was 5000 and where i rode monday up there was around 7000

monday i rode in the sitgreaves national forest up by payson and it was 75!!
great ride and awesome weather

I spent last week on Cape Cod and it was in the mid 70s which felt great. Unfortunately, I did not have my bike with me :(

that is too bad you could not take your bike

they did not have any places to rent ebikes there?

Thank you very much for really helpful experience you shared, Nirmala! I couldn't stop reading your posts through. Now I am excited to consider buying UI5 for my Dad. However, I am a bit confused about reports on useless throttle here . I'm afraid it would be too difficult for Dad to pedal all the time so I was looking for the bike that could be also propelled by motor only. What is your opinion in this regard?

Thank you very much for really helpful experience you shared, Nirmala! I couldn't stop reading your posts through. Now I am excited to consider buying UI5 for my Dad. However, I am a bit confused about reports on useless throttle here . I'm afraid it would be too difficult for Dad to pedal all the time so I was looking for the bike that could be also propelled by motor only. What is your opinion in this regard?
The throttle works fine. The only limitation is that the throttle will only apply as much power as the level of assist that you set. So if you are in level 1, the throttle would be pretty weak. If you are in the top level of 6, then the throttle is very strong and uses the entire power and capacity of the motor. It is very easy to raise and lower the assist level as the buttons are right at hand on the left side next to the handlebar grip. I regularly change the assist level while riding, and do not even need to look down to do it now that I am used to the controls.

In contrast, some ebikes have a set up where the throttle always applies full power no matter what level of assist you are using. But the throttle on the Ui5 is still very usable as needed.

The throttle works fine.

Oh, wonderful, thank you for the fast answer, Nirmala! Now I'm really determined to get the Ui5. Unfortunately I currently live in Germany so it would be a bit of a hassle to import the bike here. And there is another reason to buy it in US: Germany laws are stupid enough to completely (!) forbid the throttle on E-bikes and motors exceeding 250 W in power unless one has to get a driving license and special insurance etc.

I may praise Magnum customer's service too as these guys are ready to ship Ui5 internationally and even offered a discount for it.

To sum up, I regret my not being in the US now because it would just take more time to get the bike and I cannot test it in gorgeous landscapes of Sedona :)

Unfortunately I currently live in Germany so it would be a bit of a hassle to import the bike here.
@Garri, isn't Magnum originally a German or Israeli company? Couldn't you contact them directly in Germany (or Israel) to see what they can do?

Alternatively, as a suggestion, you can go for a mountain e-bike from a different company and set it in 'off-road' mode -- you may not have the throttle, but at least you can get the speed.

I picked up a slightly used Leisger CD5 locally here in Clearwater Florida for $500 from an elderly gentleman that could not ride it anymore. I already had a Prodecotech Stride 400 that I purchased for my wife to ride so now we both have ebikes and love to ride together for long distances (20-30 miles) with ease.

CD5.jpg

Back