My new bike came in but it has a minor chip in the paint. How much credit should I be offered to consider taking?

I bought a new e-bike for $3300. When the dealer unboxed it, he noticed a minor chip in the paint. He is calling the company to see if they will ship another one or if they want to offer credit. If they offer credit, what would be reasonable if I want to consider taking it? From the picture sent to me, the chip looks like it is on the crossbar towards the front of the bike. I have only seen a picture.

You'll put your own chip in soon enough, so $100? Automotive touch up paint costs like $15. About $40 if you have an automotive paint shop do a custom mix. If you don't like it, don't take the bike.

I attached the picture.

Attachments

• 9BB3E436-F956-451A-9BC4-17F8699AF784.jpeg
    9BB3E436-F956-451A-9BC4-17F8699AF784.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 787
But you wouldn't want it when it's brand new though.

If you go to a bike shop, and you see two identical bikes. One has paint chip, one is clean.
Wouldn't you ask for a discount on chipped paint one?

I agree! I'm even worse with new cars, any kind of blemish drives me nuts.

I would ask them to provide a bottle of matched touch up paint. Believe me, you will put your own chips in it and a bottle of matching touchup paint will be much appreciated. Blix provided a bottle of touchup paint for my wife's Blix Aveny bike (for a scratch she put in it herself) and I have lost track of the number of times I have now used that paint (after 3 years of ownership).

I would ask them to provide a bottle of matched touch up paint. Believe me, you will put your own chips in it and a bottle of matching touchup paint will be much appreciated. Blix provided a bottle of touchup paint for my wive's Blix Aveny bike (for a scratch she put in it herself) and I have lost track of the number of times I have now used that paint (after 3 years of ownership).

Ya, that's probably what I would do.

Is that a chipped Specialized ? Is a very minor scuff, you will put tons of those scuffs underneath the downtube in the 1st week anyway. That is 100% guaranteed , unless you clearcoat it like i did.

I've rarely seen a new ebike without some minor flaw in the paint or other cosmetic issue someplace. Perfection is just hard to achieve all the way to the customer. If they offer $40-$100 kick back that is pretty nice. My most recent new bike required me use a Sharpie permanent marker to cosmetic clean up some scuffs in the anodized surfaces (rarely do the Chinese use an aerospace grade hard anodizing process which is sad.

New bikes rarely are perfect. My 2020 Vado 5.0 has a little scratch, but not really worrying about it. It's not in a critical place for structural integrity. But I do appreciate some people want it pretty, at least leaving the shop. I have witnessed my LBS offering to touch up as best as possible, and a bottle of chain lube, or a store credit of some sort. Most seem to take the touch up and lube, as they are going to need that for sure anyway. Being a model builder and painter I have helped with some touch ups, using model paint or nail polish.
As others have previously mentioned it will be the first of many scratches to come from some great rides. Enjoy the ebike experience.

its all relative, i purchased a $1700 bike that came with multiple small chips from shipping damage,the bike was already on sale for 100bucks off so i never complained about the dents,i dont expect a 1700 mail order bike to be perfect but on a $3300 LBS purchase that dent is unacceptable, they would be sending me a new bike or returning my cash,screw the %

I agree! I'm even worse with new cars, any kind of blemish drives me nuts.
I sure hate it when you pay big money for high quality and it isn’t there. I am planning on buying 2 Vado’s in the near future. I hope they arrive in good condition.

You talking "A" or "B"?

"B" might be a photo artifact.

"A" is nothing, only worth a kickstand or a good bell. A hundred bucks would begreat.

Attachments

• chip.jpg
    chip.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 501
I e bike commute for health and environmental reasons. A minor paint chip wont change that. My bike lost 40% in value on its first ride without a paint chip. Take the high road and accept it as is at the agreed upon price. When you have an actual problem in the future you will get better service. A bike is an investment in health and happiness. It is a guaranteed money loss. 5 years from now when you have another new bike the wasted stress and anxiety over an old paint chip on an unused bike wont mater. Now get on your bike and ride, just don't take it out on the squirrels. I heard that they will mess you and your bike up.

I consider it a big difference between dents and dings I put in the bike VS paying $3.3K for a new bike and having it come with dents and dings.
It's your call on what you are willing to accept.

My son asked me to point out that the crummier your bike looks, the less likely it is to get stolen!!! (From that perspective, that chip in the paint is an anti-theft feature!!!) 🤣

Back