My handlebars keep coming loose

You say it's fine after tightening and then loosens up with use. A drop of blue Loctite on the threads will prevent it from loosening up, and also cuts down on the temptation to over torque the fastener.
Be sure to use blue, not red. The red is virtually permanent. Any auto parts store will have it, or look in the paint department of Home Creepo, with the glue.

Thanks! I was reading about the different Loctites, and I wonder if Purple would be better than Blue?

Locktite is not the answer.

On the left side is a loose silver disc, with ratchets on the outer edge similar to the other side. Both get loose and are tightened by the same nut. It is the failure to fully seat both discs before tightening the nut that causes the joint to loosen.

Once set, it won't loosen. Undo the nut, and wiggle both sides to loosen, then insure the teeth in both discs are set. Retighten, and it will be ok.

Last edited:
Here is the Amazon link for the Cloud-9 Cruiser seat, $31: https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Clou...&sr=8-4&keywords=cloud+9+cruiser+bicycle+seat

The price has gone up, I think it was about $26 when I purchased back in 2016. I like the larger seat because it has a vent in the center to help with cooling (live in southwest with +95 degrees). I also like the extra wide seat to distribute my +270 lbs weight on a larger surface for comfort. I don't feel that pressure/pain in the taint area I had with a thinner saddle since I'm sitting on my buttocks mostly with the Cloud-9. I've never tried the smaller Cloud-9 sizes and they would probably be just as comfy as the largest size. The extra length of the Cloud-9 doesn't effect me riding, mounting, or dismounting. I have the same large Cloud-9 on my wife's Radcity Step-Thru and she hasn't had any issues either other than a more comfy ride compared to the standard seat.

Note: we both have the Bodyfloat v2.0 suspension seatpost.

Last edited:

On the left side is a loose silver disc, with ratchets on the outer edge similar to the other side. Both get loose and are tightened by the same nut. It is the failure to fully seat both discs before tightening the nut that causes the joint to loosen.

Once set, it won't loosen. Undo the nut, and wiggle both sides to loosen, then insure the teeth in both discs are set. Retighten, and it will be ok.

OK, I did this. Doesn't seem any different. I undid the nut and then loosened both sides, then I put them back together and tightened. Didn't feel any clicking of the teeth being set. But both sides seemed to be firmly in place, just like before. Doesn't seem any different than it was. I guess I'll see if it comes loose.

When/if it does, don't take it apart again. Just retighten it. I think the mating parts may not have been machined to real high standards, are possibly slightly mis matched, and need time to "seat" themselves. Taking them back apart just starts the cycle over again....

C-9 12x11 Sofa model is huge, they call it Sofa for a reason. Try their 10x10 models first, unless your rear part is large size too. Big springs underneath make it look like some truck part, but after a while you get used to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Cloud-9-Cruiser-Select-Saddle-10-75/dp/B000AO9VJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537729970&sr=8-1&keywords=cloud-9+cruiser+select+airflow+cs+saddle,+10.5"+x+10.75

https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Suspension-Cruiser-Saddle-Tri-color/dp/B07F81M48C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537729920&sr=8-1&keywords=Sunlite+Cloud-9+Bicycle+Suspension+Cruiser+Saddle,+Cruiser+Gel,+Tri-color+Black - same as the first one only with vent hole. The first one has a "crack", not a hole through. I think the "real" hole doesn't matter much. Average man's "stuff" won't fit through the hole, it's just to relieve the pressure a little, a crack/dimple does the job.

Chinese sweatshop slaves didn't do a good job on C-9 rails, they are ~1/8" wider than standard clamp. Will fit but takes some fiddling. All 1-star reviews are because of rails. They just couldn't get it right.

Last edited:
OK, I did this. Doesn't seem any different. I undid the nut and then loosened both sides, then I put them back together and tightened. Didn't feel any clicking of the teeth being set. But both sides seemed to be firmly in place, just like before. Doesn't seem any different than it was. I guess I'll see if it comes loose.

On the lh side is instructions...it is spring loaded, and once loosened, the screw can be pushed from l to r to disengage the ratchets.

I had the same problem on my '18 City. The joint simply had too much play in it from the factory, no matter how well the end caps were seated or positioned. I used a wafer-thin washer I had laying around and was a perfect fit to snug it up. It certainly is a manufacturing tolerance issue as it's a cast aluminum piece and not machined.

The washer I used is a 30mm x 17mm and very very thin. Pulled it from this kit- https://flatland3d.com/shop/all-products/all-e-skate-accessories/pro-steel-pulley-bearings/

OK, so 3 weeks ago I replied that I had followed your instructions, but that it didn't seem any different. However, in the weeks since, it hasn't come loose again! So what you recommended did the trick. Thanks!

I will say, though, that the there is a "little" wiggle in the handlebars. But that seems to be a constant. That is, it's not getting progressively looser and needing continual tightening, as it was before. It would be good to get that little wiggle out, but it doesn't seem to be affecting anything. And I don't even notice it unless I purposely go to the handlebars and try to wiggle them. So it's not really a big deal.

So thanks again! Sorry I was skeptical at first.

FYI, I had e-mailed Rad tech support, but they couldn't figure out what the problem was, so they sent me a new stem, to see if it worked any better. Before the new stem arrived I applied your solution, so I never opened the package. So I'm going to contact them and let them know your steps, as well return the stem.

Thanks again!

Neil

OK, so 3 weeks ago I replied that I had followed your instructions, but that it didn't seem any different. However, in the weeks since, it hasn't come loose again! So what you recommended did the trick. Thanks!

I will say, though, that the there is a "little" wiggle in the handlebars. But that seems to be a constant. That is, it's not getting progressively looser and needing continual tightening, as it was before. It would be good to get that little wiggle out, but it doesn't seem to be affecting anything. And I don't even notice it unless I purposely go to the handlebars and try to wiggle them. So it's not really a big deal.

So thanks again! Sorry I was skeptical at first.

FYI, I had e-mailed Rad tech support, but they couldn't figure out what the problem was, so they sent me a new stem, to see if it worked any better. Before the new stem arrived I applied your solution, so I never opened the package. So I'm going to contact them and let them know your steps, as well return the stem.

Thanks again!

Neil

The replacement stem doesn't cost you any money. I would keep the replacement stem as a back-up if the original becomes loose again down the road.

It’s best to use an adjustable stem to find your correct position relative to the bars then find a solid stem that matches the rise/reach and use that. It will be much more secure and the cost is low compared to the consequences.

I agree with JRA . It is best to use an adjustable stem to find your correct position then find a solid stem that matches the rise/reach. That is what I did and the stability of the bar/stem stability was greatly improved and no more slips or noises. Especially important if you use a handlebar bag.
.... (another plus is that you can place a custom Stem Cap on a new stem - Clock, Thermometer, picture frame)

You say it's fine after tightening and then loosens up with use. A drop of blue Loctite on the threads will prevent it from loosening up, and also cuts down on the temptation to over torque the fastener.
Be sure to use blue, not red. The red is virtually permanent. Any auto parts store will have it, or look in the paint department of Home Creepo, with the glue.
Ha! Home Creepo, good one. I agree!

I agree with JRA . It is best to use an adjustable stem to find your correct position then find a solid stem that matches the rise/reach. That is what I did and the stability of the bar/stem stability was greatly improved and no more slips or noises. Especially important if you use a handlebar bag.
.... (another plus is that you can place a custom Stem Cap on a new stem - Clock, Thermometer, picture frame)

Stem CAPtain-Very cool! Love the thermometer cap. Brilliant idea.

Back