My Falco 750 W HX motor kit

My battery isn't charging or well. The last two times i've put it back on the trike (always charged after riding) it's read 37v at the start. The first time I thought I must have forgotten to turn the power switch on the battery on and it hadn't charged though it was plugged in. Even though in retrospect I know that's not right because I always look for the LED. I've been using rechargeable batteries for 20 years. So tonight when I took off and it was again 37v I know I've got a problem.
The LED has never gone green, but it was always 41v after charging so I didn't worry about it.
Battery was down to 36v after my short ride but was on level 5 almost the whole time squeezing in a ride between the past 48hrs of rain here. And motor still performed great till the very end.
Anyone know at what voltage the motor restricts then stops assisting?

Does the battery have to be in the "on" position to charge? That seems odd... I don't think mine is that way... The LCD display has to be on, but not my 48V Battery. It even lights up the on/off button while it's charging.

IIRC my 36V battery was at 41V fully charged. I believe they told me 26V was about as low as it could get and still work. My 48V battery is similar. Has 53V fully charged and they tell me it's done at about 37V.

Last edited:
Does the battery have to be in the "on" position to charge? That seems odd... I don't think mine is that way... The LCD display has to be on, but not my 48V Battery. It even lights up the on/off button while it's charging.

IIRC my 36V battery was at 41V fully charged. I believe they told me 26V was about as low as it could get and still work. My 48V battery is similar. Has 53V fully charged and they tell me it's done at about 37V.

Hmm, thought sure I read it. I know the LED on the battery is not on when plugged into the charger unless the power switch is on. I'll have to re-read.
On the plus side nothing wrong with charger, was just slightly unplugged while still looking plugged in. Happy to hear I had a long way to go on the battery charge!! I'm barely denting it! :)

I'll try charging tonight with power switch off.

Thanks for help! :)

Hmm, thought sure I read it. I know the LED on the battery is not on when plugged into the charger unless the power switch is on. I'll have to re-read.
On the plus side nothing wrong with charger, was just slightly unplugged while still looking plugged in. Happy to hear I had a long way to go on the battery charge!! I'm barely denting it! :)

I'll try charging tonight with power switch off.

Thanks for help! :)
No problem. I can say for sure on the 48V system you do not have to have the battery on to charge it. What you probably read was about the LCD Display unit. That DOES have to be in the "on" position to charge. Which I still find odd, but that's apparently how it works.

You were right of course. Doesn't need to be on. :)

Really loving mine now. Great setup and ability to tune it is so sweet.
I love it so much I bought a used Stromer for my gf and friends to ride with to keep up. :)

You were right of course. Doesn't need to be on. :)

Really loving mine now. Great setup and ability to tune it is so sweet.
I love it so much I bought a used Stromer for my gf and friends to ride with to keep up. :)

I just ordered another e-bike too. More of a Mtn. Bike style this time for my Teens to ride. My son won't get off of my Hybrid. :D

And... my son stole my e-bike again! He always steals the Falco. I'm glad I have two... cuz I really wanted to ride today. :D

I know this thread is over year old now.
bareyb, MLB, bike-on others - if you noticed my post,
How your FALCO drives are performing, how many miles on them?

I know this thread is over year old now.
bareyb, MLB, bike-on others - if you noticed my post,
How your FALCO drives are performing, how many miles on them?

Hello,

I've got about 1,000 miles on my HX500w setup on a Catrike recumbent trike. I ride my Haibike and Big Bud a lot more these days so it doens't get a lot of use.
I love it and it works great EXCEPT the controller heats up and shuts down the motor (thermal switch) at about 10 miles of mild useage, which is pretty weak these days. Most of the 500w models suffered apparently. I just read that Falco recommends switching to a 48v battery to increase voltage while dropping amperage for our motors. Apparently this issue is resolved in the 750w motors and the current 1000w model is very VERY Strong! As I ride for fitness mostly Im always peddling so it's no big deal if it shuts down for a couple of miles but to others it could be a problem. Falco still continues to inovate and the creator really cares about their product. I highly recommend.

I own 1000W 36v EPLUS and I own legendary TIDAL FORCE both designed by the same engineering team from STG Dullas VA.
I want to replace Eplus with 750W FALCO initially on 36V - throttle only..
What I need is true sustained 31mph /no 30/ with no pedalling and 33mph with crazy pedalling.
Can I achive that on flat, no wind ,50PSI , tacked position, warm above 10C morning on 750W 36V ????
but I doubt it can be done on 36V - throttle only..

Last edited:
I own 1000W 36v EPLUS and I own legendary TIDAL FORCE both designed by the same engineering team from STG Dullas VA.
I want to replace Eplus with 750W FALCO initially on 36V.
What I need is true sustained 31mph /no 30/ with no pedalling and 33mph with crazy pedalling.
Can I achive that on flat, no wind ,50PSI , tacked position, warm above 10C morning on 750W 36V ????
but I doubt it can be done on 36V.

Can;t be done with 48v either since the assist is limited to 28mph

I have edited my post ,
EPLUS, every EPLUS drive is throttle only.
I want FALCO 750W only throttle.
what do you exactely mean "assist is limited to 28mph" ???
by PAS ???

Last edited:
maybe others will chime in here,
as I understand in 750W off-road version PAS stops working or stops sending signals to controller once 28mph is reached - that is clear.
But how about throttle ?? electronics limits power drawn by motor when 28mph is reached? that is still restricted edrive.
unrestricted edrive is when power draw increases until thermal/overtemperature I would say
Maybe Rakesh will answer here for benefit of others?

Last edited:
Hello,

I've got about 1,000 miles on my HX500w setup on a Catrike recumbent trike. I ride my Haibike and Big Bud a lot more these days so it doens't get a lot of use.
I love it and it works great EXCEPT the controller heats up and shuts down the motor (thermal switch) at about 10 miles of mild useage, which is pretty weak these days. Most of the 500w models suffered apparently. I just read that Falco recommends switching to a 48v battery to increase voltage while dropping amperage for our motors. Apparently this issue is resolved in the 750w motors and the current 1000w model is very VERY Strong! As I ride for fitness mostly Im always peddling so it's no big deal if it shuts down for a couple of miles but to others it could be a problem. Falco still continues to inovate and the creator really cares about their product. I highly recommend.

I did a 48V battery upgrade and it didn't help the thermal cutback issue. If anything, it cut back sooner because it delivered more power and heated up faster.

The Falco units are PROGRAMMABLE. They can be set to 20mph, 28mph, or unlimited, maybe, if the firmware/software has that option.
You can program throttle, PAS, or both.

I also have the HX500. I have it on an old Specialized for my son at college. It is working fine.

I would likely upgrade to a 750 next time for the thermal reasons.

Also, I would consider Statorade from ebikes.ca.

I did a 48V battery upgrade and it didn't help the thermal cutback issue. If anything, it cut back sooner because it delivered more power and heated up faster.

The Falco units are PROGRAMMABLE. They can be set to 20mph, 28mph, or unlimited, maybe, if the firmware/software has that option.
You can program throttle, PAS, or both.

I also have the HX500. I have it on an old Specialized for my son at college. It is working fine.

I would likely upgrade to a 750 next time for the thermal reasons.

Also, I would consider Statorade from ebikes.ca.

Interesting. But disappointing. Did you do it on Falco's advise? or for more performance? Mine is offroad enabled, which was a extra purchase option, assist cuts out at 28mph, throttle included.
Falco ought to make 500w purchasers a nice "upgrade" deal to the much stronger 750 or 1,000.
I would probably take up a decent discount (buying back the 500) and they would create a lot (more, they are good folks) good will and PR.

MLB
Just noticed this post.
So you say - you can "program" all day it will still cut out at 28mph.
What do you mean cuts out on throttle also??
But how does it feel? so you pressing throttle no pedalling, reach 28mph and at this point motor/controller stops drawing power to zero?

MLB
Just noticed this post.
So you say - you can "program" all day it will still cut out at 28mph.
What do you mean cuts out on throttle also??
But how does it feel? so you pressing throttle no pedalling, reach 28mph and at this point motor/controller stops drawing power to zero?

Falco's speed pedalec (28mph) is/Was called "offroad" because it's not legal "on road".
It stops assisting at 28mph, whether it's via torque sensor or throttle. At that speed it stops giving FURTHER speed, but keeps you at 28mph. Depending on your bikes gearing, you may or may not be able to pedal the bike faster than that.

Well, if you put it on a higher setting on a true 10% slope (10ft rise per 100 distance, right?) and pedal hard with it, I'm guessing maybe 10-13 mph, but that is just a rough guess. I checked Google elevation gain on the steepest hill in our city (Carnahan Rd) and it is 10% exactly for about 1/2 mile (between about 900 S and 1700 S). I should go try it sometime and see what it will do speed-wise. Maybe I'll do that in the next few days when I ride and let you know. As far as motor overheating, I would maybe cut back the assist to a little lower setting on really hot days just to be sure. But you could just try it at the highest setting and if the motor gets too hot it will shut down before damage occurs.

One other thing- I've studied the available battery chemistries a bit and it seems like the Lithium Manganese (LiMn) are the safest and best ones, and they happen to be a lot lighter per energy than the more common Lipo's. Lipo (Lithium Poly Iron Phosphate I think) are cheaper and are rated to give more total cycles per life than the LiMn but are heavier and potentially not as safe. When you would be stressing the battery pretty hard on hot days on that hill I would really consider going with the safer chemistry, just to drastically reduce the chance of any kind of overheating and battery fire. Most likely with a good quality motor and controller the motor would shutdown before the battery got to that critical point, but it would just give you extra insurance against ever having something catastrophic happen out there. Falco's batteries are all LiMn for this reason but you can get LiMn from other manufacturers as well.
Well, if you put it on a higher setting on a true 10% slope (10ft rise per 100 distance, right?) and pedal hard with it, I'm guessing maybe 10-13 mph, but that is just a rough guess. I checked Google elevation gain on the steepest hill in our city (Carnahan Rd) and it is 10% exactly for about 1/2 mile (between about 900 S and 1700 S). I should go try it sometime and see what it will do speed-wise. Maybe I'll do that in the next few days when I ride and let you know. As far as motor overheating, I would maybe cut back the assist to a little lower setting on really hot days just to be sure. But you could just try it at the highest setting and if the motor gets too hot it will shut down before damage occurs.

One other thing- I've studied the available battery chemistries a bit and it seems like the Lithium Manganese (LiMn) are the safest and best ones, and they happen to be a lot lighter per energy than the more common Lipo's. Lipo (Lithium Poly Iron Phosphate I think) are cheaper and are rated to give more total cycles per life than the LiMn but are heavier and potentially not as safe. When you would be stressing the battery pretty hard on hot days on that hill I would really consider going with the safer chemistry, just to drastically reduce the chance of any kind of overheating and battery fire. Most likely with a good quality motor and controller the motor would shutdown before the battery got to that critical point, but it would just give you extra insurance against ever having something catastrophic happen out there. Falco's batteries are all LiMn for this reason but you can get LiMn from other manufacturers as well.

You really need to get your battery names straight. A "LiPo battery is different from a LiFePO4 ( Lithium Iron Ferrate Phosphate ) battery. A Lipo battery ( Lithium Polymer) has history of exploding and catching fire and a LiFePO4 does not. So a LiFePO4 is much safer if not the safest and allows at least 2000 charging cycles. Want to study battery chemistries then google battery university.

Jason

Back