My Espin Sport

@Dee Spun and @Urvaksh

Just off the top of my head:

1. The whole derailleur guard bending to fix gearing issues but I guess this is common for bikes shipped directly to customers.
2. The fenders are bleh. But I think most fenders are that way... makes too much noise for the payoff. I will probably remove them from my Sport... I don't ride in the rain or through puddles very much anyways.
3. The cabling is questionable. The front cabling is messy and interferes with the front fork, they packed some zip ties in the box, but there is no real indicator of best way to bunch them up. The cabling along the bottom of the frame is just attached to the frame holes via zipties... would rather it be actually frame holes to thread the cabling through but I guess it's easier to maintain.
4. Weight. Unsure that can be avoided but at least it doesn't feel heavy when riding... just when trying to move around.

@Dee Spun and @Urvaksh

1. The whole derailleur guard bending to fix gearing issues but I guess this is common for bikes shipped directly to customers.
2. The fenders are bleh. But I think most fenders are that way... makes too much noise for the payoff. I will probably remove them from my Sport... I don't ride in the rain or through puddles very much anyways.
3. The cabling is questionable. The front cabling is messy and interferes with the front fork, they packed some zip ties in the box, but there is no real indicator of best way to bunch them up. The cabling along the bottom of the frame is just attached to the frame holes via zipties... would rather it be actually frame holes to thread the cabling through but I guess it's easier to maintain.
4. Weight. Unsure that can be avoided but at least it doesn't feel heavy when riding... just when trying to move around.

I too wonder about the extra zip ties and have a tad bit of concern about the front cabling. There should be a way to insure they dont affect turning radius. I installed the front fender and light and am not crazy about the way it went on. I may have to revisit and I too may remove it. From a ride and handling standpoint, no complaints... (other than hurry up Suntour!)

I think the PAS and throttle are fine as is. You can also use PAS 0 and pedal...
I'm sure it is fine. it's a bit of a pedantic argument but I guess the point was just is having the ability to adjust it a plus and so how much is it worth to you? In other words if you didn't really feel like pedaling with no assist but one was a little bit more than you would like you can adjust it that's all. As long as everyone is happy with what they got.

@Dee Spun and @Urvaksh

Funny you say that. I'm on the fence as the weather now I'm going to put the fenders on when I build my bike. I don't really plan on riding in the rain that much.If you don't mind me asking how do they generate noise? when I was looking at the pictures that's one of the things That's sort of helps steer me away from the sport Was I wasted the cables ran through the frame or we're running a little later. I have a wire "issue" , like my entertainment center and TV can't have any visible wires..... Probably a little OCD but hey nobody's perfect

Funny you say that. I'm on the fence as the weather now I'm going to put the fenders on when I build my bike. I don't really plan on riding in the rain that much.If you don't mind me asking how do they generate noise? when I was looking at the pictures that's one of the things That's sort of helps steer me away from the sport Was I wasted the cables ran through the frame or we're running a little later. I have a wire "issue" , like my entertainment center and TV can't have any visible wires..... Probably a little OCD but hey nobody's perfect

I also wish the wires were a tad less visible but when I consider what I got for 1100 bucks, I still feel I got value...

@Dee Spun and @Urvaksh

this is helpful. I was planning to not install the fenders. But looks like removing the rear fender (which comes installed) requires removing the wheel 🤦🏻‍♂️

@cldlhd

The rear fender is kind of loose. It's plastic so it's not like a lot of noise but the side stays are very thin so just normal bumps makes them produce some sound.

Plus it's one less thing I have to put on the Sport... although taking off the rear one looks a bit tricky as the lower support screw is right up to the rear tire.

But looks like removing the rear fender (which comes installed) requires removing the wheel 🤦🏻‍♂️

We looked at it and you can get at it with a right-angle screw driver but I think the key is just let the air out of the rear tire to give you some work room with a regular screwdriver at an angle.

I also wish the wires were a tad less visible but when I consider what I got for 1100 bucks, I still feel I got value...
No doubt , I originally was looking at the Core5 but then found out that the Espin sport came with hydraulic brakes, a front suspension fork and a few other upgrades for not much more.

My Sport is out for delivery. Taylor57 how long did you charge the battery before using it the first time. This is my first E bike and I don’t have a bike stand for assembly. Can I do it without the stand and do you have any tips since you just assembled yours. I really want to get out riding today.

@cldlhd

The rear fender is kind of loose. It's plastic so it's not like a lot of noise but the side stays are very thin so just normal bumps makes them produce some sound.

Plus it's one less thing I have to put on the Sport... although taking off the rear one looks a bit tricky as the lower support screw is right up to the rear tire.
Like you said if you let air out if the rear tire you'll get more wiggle room, it doesn't come installed on the bike I'm getting and the instructions recommend you leave the rear tire flat until after you install the fender.

@cldlhd

removing the rear gender requires removing the wheel, per eSpin.
No doubt , I originally was looking at the Core5 but then found out that the Espin sport came with hydraulic brakes, a front suspension fork and a few other upgrades for not much more.
same here! almost pulled the trigger on the Core-5. Ride1UP founder is super responsive on Facebook.

Like you said if you let air out if the rear tire you'll get more wiggle room, it doesn't come installed on the bike I'm getting and the instructions recommend you leave the rear tire flat until after you install the fender.
odd. Espin rep told me the rear fender comes installed. (i think). hope I heard wrong:)

Espin rep says PAS settings can be adjusted only at the factory. also, the Sport is already set to max speed. they advise against messing with the default settings on the computer, doing so could affect performance.

odd. Espin rep told me the rear fender comes installed. (i think). hope I heard wrong:)
Sorry wasn't referring to the Espin. My R1up 700 is supposed to come tomorrow and it's fender comes uninstalled and they recommend leaving the rear tire uninflated until after fender installation so I assumed the Sport would work the same way.
I guess that's how it works, first I looked at the Core5 then was leaning towards the Sport because for just a little more money you get x,y and z but ended up spending a bit more for the 700.

Sorry wasn't referring to the Espin. My R1up 700 is supposed to come tomorrow and it's fender comes uninstalled and they recommend leaving the rear tire uninflated until after fender installation so I assumed the Sport would work the same way.
I guess that's how it works, first I looked at the Core5 then was leaning towards the Sport because for just a little more money you get x,y and z but ended up spending a bit more for the 700.
the Sport feels more like a good compromise between the Core-5 and the LMTD :)

Back