My Espin Sport

The Espin Sport has a 12-32, 8 speed freewheel. What size freewheel would fit and offer better response in 8th gear? Right now, when you are in 8th gear and PAS 5, you are going around 23-25 flat ground and you are really not applying any pedaling pressure, your feet are just along for the ride.

The Espin Sport has a 12-32, 8 speed freewheel. What size freewheel would fit and offer better response in 8th gear? Right now, when you are in 8th gear and PAS 5, you are going around 23-25 flat ground and you are really not applying any pedaling pressure, your feet are just along for the ride.
If you come up with a useful replacement, let us know. I'd like longer top gearing for higher speeds. I find that high speed pedaling reduces my control of the bike.

According to ESPIN specs, the seatpost diameter is 30.4 so thats what I ordered from Suntour. Now my concern is, will a 30.4 seatpost fit a 30.4 diameter opening? Only time will tell...
can you confirm this is the correct size...am going to order one for a sport and one for a flow

Yes. Inflate your tires.

Also, the brakes may “bed” so they don’t rub after a ride or two.
look up how to bed disk brakes on a car....i do it all the time when i change pads...gonna do something similar when i get the bike

If you come up with a useful replacement, let us know. I'd like longer top gearing for higher speeds. I find that high speed pedaling reduces my control of the bike.
I have the question into Espin. So far nobody on the board has suggested another freewheel. I would only change if it would mean changing freewheel only and not affect controller etc. You would think there is another freewheel that you could plug in and offer you better restistance in 8th/5PAS...

I have the question into Espin. So far nobody on the board has suggested another freewheel. I would only change if it would mean changing freewheel only and not affect controller etc. You would think there is another freewheel that you could plug in and offer you better restistance in 8th/5PAS...
Either fewer teeth on the smallest gear at the rear or more teeth on the gear at the pedals should do the trick w/o affecting the controller.

so 11-34?
Going to 11 teeth would produce about an 8% reduction in top gear pedaling rate, which should be a noticeable but not huge difference. I don't know if there are 8-speed gear setups with fewer than 11 teeth, so any more pedaling speed reduction may require a larger crank gear.

Going to 11 teeth would produce about an 8% reduction in top gear pedaling rate, which should be a noticeable but not huge difference. I don't know if there are 8-speed gear setups with fewer than 11 teeth, so any more pedaling speed reduction may require a larger crank gear.
The largest front gear I've found is 52 teeth. That would give a 15.5% pedaling speed reduction, but I do not know if it'd fit the Espin Sport. Look here: https://www.amazon.com/Crankset-Aluminum-Chaingard-Folding-Bicycles/dp/B00L3K564G

I took Sport out today for about an hour or so. (15 miles or so) Mostly streets and sidewalks with a little dirt road mixed in. On flat ground in 8th gear (the highest) I turned off the PAS and just rode in at about 17 mph for about 3 miles. Very easy to pedal and very smooth. Hit an uphill stretch and needed some PAS. This bike is really a fine machine and very quiet. I had been mostly riding my Frey CC and now remember how great a value the Espin is...

I took Sport out today for about an hour or so. (15 miles or so) Mostly streets and sidewalks with a little dirt road mixed in. On flat ground in 8th gear (the highest) I turned off the PAS and just rode in at about 17 mph for about 3 miles. Very easy to pedal and very smooth. Hit an uphill stretch and needed some PAS. This bike is really a fine machine and very quiet. I had been mostly riding my Frey CC and now remember how great a value the Espin is...
Yeah... I want to get a 2nd bike and would like to try out a different brand like R1U or Aventon but am afraid they may not be as good.

I don’t think the lighter ones have enough power so I’m looking at the Core-5 or Pace 500 because at least those are sub 50 lbs.

Guys question about chain and gears..my chain popped and came off the other day. Im not the most mechanical person but I out the bike upside down and put it back on the sprocket. The more im looking at it and messing with my gears was I supposed to put it on a specific part of the sprocket? or since the first one was easiest to get on will the gears just adjust themselves? Its hard to tell but I feel like the gears may be a little off..i rarely ride in 6-8 im usually more of a 1-3 guy...thanks for any help

Guys question about chain and gears..my chain popped and came off the other day. Im not the most mechanical person but I out the bike upside down and put it back on the sprocket. The more im looking at it and messing with my gears was I supposed to put it on a specific part of the sprocket? or since the first one was easiest to get on will the gears just adjust themselves? Its hard to tell but I feel like the gears may be a little off..i rarely ride in 6-8 im usually more of a 1-3 guy...thanks for any help
That will take care of itself as you ride and shift.

You may also need to adjust your derailleur (not sure what popped the chain off in the first place but that may have caused some misalignment).

has anyone tried swapping out the standard LCD display with the color LCD that comes with the Nesta and Nero? is the color LCD even compatible with the Sport.
FWIW I have the 2021 Sport that comes with a color LCD. Honestly I would have preferred a single color display with better contrast. The color display washes out badly even on overcast days.

Back