My Diy journey begins!

Jimmy666

I just scored a deal on a Jamis DXT A3 and my plan is to put fenders, rack and a Bafang BBS02 on for my daily commute. Advice is welcome on batteries and such.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• aviary-image-1609780260752.jpeg
    aviary-image-1609780260752.jpeg
    910 KB · Views: 271
  • aviary-image-1609780291328.jpeg
    aviary-image-1609780291328.jpeg
    547.5 KB · Views: 277
  • aviary-image-1609780319706.jpeg
    aviary-image-1609780319706.jpeg
    774 KB · Views: 276
My only concern is the internal cable routing near the bottom bracket. Anyone deal with this?

Attachments

• 20210104_132206.jpg
    20210104_132206.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 270
Those internal cable will stay the same , no modification needed. The new cables for the motor and accessories will need to be routed outside of the frame and tied down with zip ties.

Those internal cable will stay the same , no modification needed. The new cables for the motor and accessories will need to be routed outside of the frame and tied down with zip ties.
Thanks! I am a newb at this, I know the motor gets tucked up there and was wondering if the cable would be in the way.

I'm looking at the same kit right now for a 2018 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc conversion. Should be a fun project for 2021. I already have a folding electric bike with a 500w rear hub drive. So, it will be interesting to see how the two bikes compare when this one is done. My Blix Vika+ tops out at 25 mph and the 48v battery lasts about 25 miles the way I ride.

Luckily, I used to ride road bikes a few years ago and when upgrading that bike's gearset I bought a stand and all the tools needed for a project like this.

Attachments

• IMG_3654.jpg
    IMG_3654.jpg
    1,001.2 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Thanks! I am a newb at this, I know the motor gets tucked up there and was wondering if the cable would be in the way.
I see, for the mid drive install you should have enough clearance between the motor and the frame for the cables to pass through.

I see, for the mid drive install you should have enough clearance between the motor and the frame for the cables to pass through.
Good to know thank you! My next concern is the brake levers because it is integrated with the trigger shifter, I understand that the left side will be replaced because of the single chainring but I am wondering about the right one?

Good to know thank you! My next concern is the brake levers because it is integrated with the trigger shifter, I understand that the left side will be replaced because of the single chainring but I am wondering about the right one?
You can keep your brake lever and add an ebrake motor power cutoff sensor like this or this.

EM3EV in China gets rated highly and uses Samsung cells, California Ebike imports and sells them from EM3EV. Grin Tech also sell a wide variety of batteries with mostly Panasonic cells, some LG or Samsung cells for their custom 36v LiGo packs, they also sell a 52v pack with the larger 21700 cells - my understanding is you can use a 52v battery on a 48v motor - and a fast charger.

Last edited:
I'm looking at the same kit right now for a 2018 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc conversion. Should be a fun project for 2021. I already have a folding electric bike with a 500w rear hub drive. So, it will be interesting to see how the two bikes compare when this one is done. My Blix Vika+ tops out at 25 mph and the 48v battery lasts about 25 miles the way I ride.

Luckily, I used to ride road bikes a few years ago and when upgrading that bike's gearset I bought a stand and all the tools needed for a project like this.
I think once you do the mid drive you wont want to ride the hub anymore. I used to have a Lectric xp and a Ride1up core 5. I am building my perfect commuter now.

I think once you do the mid drive you wont want to ride the hub anymore. I used to have a Lectric xp and a Ride1up core 5. I am building my perfect commuter now.
I'm have lots of questions about this. I find myself going back and forth over the two styles and I'm thinking I may be more of a "throttle Junkie" rider.

I used to ride carbon road bikes not great distances but about 3,000 miles a year. I gave it up after one too many near misses with vehicles on a busy road on my daily ride. So, shifting was a part of my life and very natural. Then last year I got my eBike - a 500w geared rear hub drive - and found that shifting was really not necessary at all. After one year and 800 miles with my Vika + I find that I almost never shift gears. I do always pedal but I ride most of the time in PAS 5 and I'm really "ghost pedaling". (these phrases in quotes and all new terms I've discovered this week).

With my derailleur in 7th gear (highest) and PAS 5 I ride 6 to 10 miles a day near my home and take the ebike on RV trips. The only time I feel the pedals contributing is on the steepest hills. But not so much that I need to downshift. At first, I tested out shifting, It seemed to slow me down and not add much to the experience.

I do use a thumb throttle on steep hills when I know the bike will slow and I peddle to help as well.

EDITED LINE: Reading about MID-drives I have found out that it changes the riding experience back to shifting for road conditions more like bike riding and less like riding a motor scooter.

But it's that motor scooter ebike ridding that I've learned to love.

So, I'm going to have to take a test ride on a mid-drive bike and see if I can make this change and be happy.

Last edited:
I'm have lots of questions about this. I find myself going back and forth over the two styles and I'm thinking I may be more of a "throttle Junkie" rider.

I used to ride carbon road bikes not great distances but about 3,000 miles a year. I gave it up after one too many near misses with vehicles on a busy road on my daily ride. So, shifting was a part of my life and very natural. Then last year I got my eBike - a 500w geared rear hub drive - and found that shifting was really not necessary at all. After one year and 800 miles with my Vika + I find that I almost never shift gears. I do always pedal but I ride most of the time in PAS 5 and I'm really "ghost pedaling". (these phrases in quotes and all new terms I've discovered this week).

With my derailleur in 7th gear (highest) and PAS 5 I ride 6 to 10 miles a day near my home and take the ebike on RV trips. The only time I feel the pedals contributing is on the steepest hills. But not so much that I need to downshift. At first, I tested out shifting, It seemed to slow me down and not add much to the experience.

I do use a thumb throttle on steep hills when I know the bike will slow and I peddle to help as well.

Reading about hub drives I have found out that it changes the riding experience back to shifting for road conditions more like bike riding and less like riding a motor scooter.

But it's that motor scooter ebike ridding that I've learned to love.

So, I'm going to have to take a test ride on a mid-drive bike and see if I can make this change and be happy.
Actually it's the mid drives that require shifting, unless you have a single gear power train.
The power goes through the gears giving you torque at the low gear and speed at the top.
Most hub riders leave the bike in high gear and only down shift to help pedal on steep hills.

So mid drives are more like shifting a motorcycle , including the need to power back between shifts so as not to strain the power train.

I think once you do the mid drive you wont want to ride the hub anymore.
I've ridden and built with every Bafang BBSxx series motor. I continue to help a shop support those motors, but for me the perfect commuter is a one-speed MAC 10T. FAR fewer issues and the option of using multiple batteries. 36v, 48v, 52v, and even 60V if you use due diligence. I do still ride several bikes with 36V BBSxx series motors. They're are multiuse bike path rides. <20MPH.

Actually it's the mid drives that require shifting, unless you have a single gear power train.
Actually I misspoke... I meant "Reading about MID-drives" when I posted hub drives. I have now edited that line and noted that it's an edit.
Thanks

I decided to go with what I know and already like... the rear hub drive.

I ordered a Dillenger Premium Off-Road kit with a 700C wheel, 500-1000w BLDC geared motor, 48v 13ah Lithium Battery. It's "Off-Road" because top speed is 28mph/45kpm. I'll start a new thread when I start my build. Thanks all for helping me through this choice.

PS. The Dillenger kit is on-sale, in-stock and they ship pretty much same day.

I decided to go with what I know and already like... the rear hub drive.

I ordered a Dillenger Premium Off-Road kit with a 700C wheel, 500-1000w BLDC geared motor, 48v 13ah Lithium Battery. It's "Off-Road" because top speed is 28mph/45kpm. I'll start a new thread when I start my build. Thanks all for helping me through this choice.

PS. The Dillenger kit is on-sale, in-stock and they ship pretty much same day.
That looks like a very nice and reasonably priced kit. Do you know what the gear ratio reduction is?
A hub motor like that eliminates the chainline and chainring issues and limitations that mid drive kits have.

That looks like a very nice and reasonably priced kit. Do you know what the gear ratio reduction is?
A hub motor like that eliminates the chainline and chainring issues and limitations that mid drive kits have.
No, they say it's their proprietary Dillenger branded motor (?) and that it is "Geared reduction hub drive" and nothing more.

The kit seems nicely packaged with good spec parts and well engineered. The only extra thing I needed to purchase was a Freewheel. My Specialized had a 9-speed Cassette and the Dillenger requires a threaded freewheel.

Back