My amps were set at 18 Ride1up suggest 11

My main concern is why my advanced settings, current limit keeps changing.

You may be onto something because my default was 4 and they recommended one so I put it at one. I’ll try to change that back.

Again, my main concern is why my number changes each time I check it. That’s the problem.

I was on a flat ground with my cadence exactly the same with the watts jumping all over the place. I would understand if that’s the way it works

Kevin himself just emailed me. He told me that it goes up each PAS. The problem with support is they can’t get off that I’m not talking about the PAS level. I keep telling them advance settings, current level.

Just got another email from ride one up. They said it’s OK to run the bike at 18 A. Problem is it’s going up all the way high (22A?) A it’s all over the place.

Bikeman, I think you need to first make sure the battery is charging to 100%. My E-Glide ST does not have a sophisticated display like yours so besides PAS 1 - 5 and battery BMS in Volts, speed and odometer there is nothing to mess around with so I just ride. I would ride it and if your not happy with the product them ship it back in the 30 day window and wait for the next newest greatest bike that comes out. When you first got the bike your were hotdog! this is great. Your making me nervous.

I purchased this charger for my ST since it gives a readout of the batteries volts while charging.

It's out of stock at the moment so it must be a good seller. Has a built in cooling fan, aluminum case and heavy gauge wiring.

Bikeman, I think you need to first make sure the battery is charging to 100%. My E-Glide ST does not have a sophisticated display like yours so besides PAS 1 - 5 and battery BMS in Volts, speed and odometer there is nothing to mess around with so I just ride. I would ride it and if your not happy with the product them ship it back in the 30 day window and wait for the next newest greatest bike that comes out. When you first got the bike your were hotdog! this is great. Your making me nervous.

I purchased this charger for my ST since it gives a readout of the batteries volts while charging.

It's out of stock at the moment so it must be a good seller. Has a built in cooling fan, aluminum case and heavy gauge wiring.
R1U told me that charger will not work with bikes. And it's not the connectors.

I was wondering if it was charging full also. When you push the button on the battery it shows all the lights lighting up. My display says it’s 100 but I was wondering. The display is influenced by settings so it’s not reliable.

I don’t think a low battery would make that setting keep changing though. I guess ride1up says it’s an update so it supposed to.

One of the changes I made was to the slow start. Mine was at the highest I thought four but it was three. I saw on the video Kevin had it at zero or one. I put it down to 1. Tonight, I put it up to a compromise 2.

It seem to smooth it out a lot. Although it seemed pretty fast it didn’t have the huge powershift. And I may try it at 3 again.

When it acts up, I went 10 miles downhill and had 36% battery. With the slow starter at 2, tonight, I went 8 miles on almost throttle only and I still had 100%. It was the last 2 miles that started draining it.

I will put it up on 3 and test it tomorrow.

Damianpenney, could you please let me know out of all the things that are in that controller, what made you think that the slow start could be it? Putting it from 1 to 2 helped out a lot and maybe 3 will fix it. Try and go through your thought process of how you could figure that out. Please let me know.

Thank you

Mike, showing me that charger where you can see volts made me think. When I do electric RC stuff, my super deluxe charger shows everything.

When a charger charges it balances at the end. It could be that what’s happening is my charger is charging, but at the end it’s not balancing the cells, or it’s having a hard time balancing them. That’s why the charger never shuts off because for whatever reason it can’t balance them.

Good thinking Mike N.

My hunch was that you were experiencing something similar to the ebike escape guy had with his LTD, whereby the controller was giving too much of a boost when power was requested (in his case via the torque sensor) such that the bike almost got away from you after it flipped the motor on. So you pedal, motor gives you a big boost showing a high watts boost, but the boost is too much, now you're pedaling too slowly for the speed, watts drop, and then you catch up, rinse repeat. That was my thinking at least...

R1U told me that charger will not work with bikes. And it's not the connectors.

The charger will not work on their bikes? I've been using it for almost two years on a 11.4 amp and 17.5 amp 48 volt Reention batteries one with Samsung cells and the other Panasonic cells and setting the charger at 90% or 100% charge with no problem. Always shuts off when it gets to the charge needed. I had to buy a connector that fit my batteries.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XT60-Femal...-HEAVY-DUTY-/283957768480?hash=item421d33b120

Maybe they are saying not to use other chargers to void the battery warranty.

My batteries are exactly what Ride1up has on their parts page.

Last edited:
If I get the improvement from 2 to 3 that I did from 1 to 2 I think that might be it for the erratic. Wonder why Kevin had his on one or zero?

I still can’t believe that my current limit setting is supposed to change like that. I don’t like it. If you go in like I did tonight after my ride and it’s at 06, what’s it set at?

Support told me Kevin upgraded the software. If you set it at 11A and then go for a ride The amps change. Whatever the amps were at on your last ride that’s what it shows in your settings. That’s what they told me. So now according to support, your settings aren’t your settings anymore. It’s what you did last time. Doesn’t make any sense to me. Not going into details but I’ve seen this kind of support before with other companies.

something that was interesting I asked was this. I said on that video when Kevin went into the settings and his was at 14 A, that means the last time he Road when he stopped his amps were at 14? And they had no clue what I was talking about.

I spent days trying to describe the problem. They kept giving me answers that weren’t even for the questions. My problem is this. If this is the way it’s supposed to be, why didn’t they tell me days ago? Back and forth back and forth back and forth and they knew that all along?

Last edited:
The charger will not work on their bikes? I've been using it for almost two years on a 11.4 amp and 17.5 amp 48 volt Reention batteries one with Samsung cells and the other Panasonic cells and setting the charger at 90% or 100% charge with no problem. Always shuts off when it gets to the charge needed. I had to buy a connector that fit my batteries.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XT60-Femal...-HEAVY-DUTY-/283957768480?hash=item421d33b120

Maybe they are saying not to use other chargers to void the battery warranty.

My batteries are exactly what Ride1up has on their parts page.

It was the connectors that wouldn't mate. Thanks.

I’ve been thinking about that. I wanted one up to tell me to do that before I did it on my own. Support is usually two full days, so I won’t get that answer till next Wednesday. I’m afraid to ask. I’m afraid they’ll tell me to put air in my tires.

I am thinking about sending the bike back but that’s hundreds of dollars and rad bikes are sold out this year.

Who knows what kind of damage has been done to my motor and internal controller or even the Display screen.

Not sure what to do with the support advice of putting my assistant zero. I guess that’s support is done on this apparently. That’s all they got. with the holiday weekend Any other help I guess I’m not going to get a response till Tuesday or Wednesday.

I got a bad charger also. I can charge the battery all day long and it never goes green. Touch it and you can Burn your hand off. Hope it doesn’t explode. I guess on other forums there’s a bad batch because many people are complaining about their chargers.

Funny, I can go around a few blocks in my neighborhood twice, and get the battery down 20%. We can’t charge it properly because the chargers defective. I never got a response from my first charge support.

Thank you for the help.
I just got done a ride in my 700 and I was wondering the same thing. I think I have it figured out though. It is definitely not clear in the YouTube video. The amp maximum is set for each PAS level. So if you turn on your display and select PAS 3 and then go into advanced settings you'll see a certain amp maximum. If you change the PAS level higher you will then see a higher amp maximum. Maybe you could do me a favor and go into advanced settings and tell me what assistant num and speed sensor are set at if it's still in factory settings. I was messing around on mine and I'm not sure if it's where it was before. In the video he says leave the speed sensor at 12 but he leaves it at 1. The assistant num is set at 12. When I downloaded the manual for the display it seemed to imply that both related to the number of magnets on the Cadence sensor. So I left the assistant num at 12 and speed sensor at 1 but the way it reads it seems like speed sensor should be at 12 as well. Thanks

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking about that. I wanted one up to tell me to do that before I did it on my own. Support is usually two full days, so I won’t get that answer till next Wednesday. I’m afraid to ask. I’m afraid they’ll tell me to put air in my tires.

I am thinking about sending the bike back but that’s hundreds of dollars and rad bikes are sold out this year.

Who knows what kind of damage has been done to my motor and internal controller or even the Display screen.

Not sure what to do with the support advice of putting my assistant zero. I guess that’s support is done on this apparently. That’s all they got. with the holiday weekend Any other help I guess I’m not going to get a response till Tuesday or Wednesday.

I got a bad charger also. I can charge the battery all day long and it never goes green. Touch it and you can Burn your hand off. Hope it doesn’t explode. I guess on other forums there’s a bad batch because many people are complaining about their chargers.

Funny, I can go around a few blocks in my neighborhood twice, and get the battery down 20%. We can’t charge it properly because the chargers defective. I never got a response from my first charge support.

Thank you for the help.
Yeah that doesn't sound right. When I first charged mine to 100% the light went green and I wrote it around for 18 mi before the percentage started to drop it all

I was thinking of this problem not from my perspective, but from ride1ups.

As pointed out, when i first got the bike, I was so happy with it. EVERYTHINGI was awesome!! This was the coolest bike ever!!

I watched the video and switched my slow start settings.

From that switch, I went down a path of problems one after another.

What if I never made the switch? I would never of had any of these problems. The bike would be the greatest bike around.

Is it ride1ups fault I changed the settings and changed a totally cool, best bike you can get for the money into problem I couldn’t understand?

They sent me a super cool bike.

Sure, ride1up could have better documentation, but I changed the setting. How would they know that?

I feel I found a weakness in their support. None of this would of happened if it wasn’t for that one switch i did.

Ride1up is so cool and for 4 days I wrecked it. The past few days I should of been one of the happiest people around.

I wat to let everyone know that had to endure shuck negative talk that I am sorry for this.

Because I was so high on this bike, when I had problems I fell farther down.

When I was stressing out I saw an edit and thought I could go back and tone it down later. I see now you can’t.

Thank you each one of you for your excellent imput. I got to grow from each imput I received.

I’m very sorry to everyone. Ride1up is a super cool bike. I’m so glad I have it.

It’s cooling down now, My battery is charged, my settings on 3 and I’m heading out tor a ride.

As pointed out, when i first got the bike, I was so happy with it. EVERYTHINGI was awesome!! This was the coolest bike ever!!

What if I never made the switch? I would never of had any of these problems. The bike would be the greatest bike around.

Is it ride1ups fault I changed the settings and changed a totally cool, best bike you can get for the money into problem I couldn’t understand?

Sure, ride1up could have better documentation, but I changed the setting. How would they know that?

I feel I found a weakness in their support. None of this would of happened if it wasn’t for that one switch i did.

Ride1up is so cool and for 4 days I wrecked it. The past few days I should of been one of the happiest people around.

I wat to let everyone know that had to endure shuck negative talk that I am sorry for this.

When I was stressing out I saw an edit and thought I could go back and tone it down later. I see now you can’t.

Thank you each one of you for your excellent imput. I got to grow from each imput I received.

I’m very sorry to everyone. Ride1up is a super cool bike. I’m so glad I have it.

It’s cooling down now, My battery is charged, my settings on 3 and I’m heading out tor a ride.
I think you could just reset it to factory default?

Bike man...very cool that you took responsibility. Thank you

I just saw this thread for the first time. Kevin from Ride1Up says the current limit no longer functions like it used to, so it depends when you got your 700. I posted about it a week ago here and linked to his comments:

I just saw this thread for the first time. Kevin from Ride1Up says the current limit no longer functions like it used to, so it depends when you got your 700. I posted about it a week ago here and linked to his comments:

I noticed that it doesn't seem to work that way. I set a max limit of 16 amps when it's on zero assist and the amp limit is different for each level of PAS. The YouTube video on a generation to display is in this leading as well. It looks like the assistant numb is 12 which relates to the number of magnets in the cadence sensor, and the speed sensor right under it is set at 1, as he exits the screen he says leave the speed sensor at 12 but he leaves it at 1. I assume he was referring to the assistant numb. When you download the manual and look at it though it seems like both of them would be 12 but I'm no expert. Thanks for the link
P.S. when I said my percentages for each PAS level and then went back and checked them later they were back where they were originally

I noticed that it doesn't seem to work that way. I set a max limit of 16 amps when it's on zero assist and the amp limit is different for each level of PAS. The YouTube video on a generation to display is in this leading as well. It looks like the assistant numb is 12 which relates to the number of magnets in the cadence sensor, and the speed sensor right under it is set at 1, as he exits the screen he says leave the speed sensor at 12 but he leaves it at 1. I assume he was referring to the assistant numb. When you download the manual and look at it though it seems like both of them would be 12 but I'm no expert. Thanks for the link
P.S. when I said my percentages for each PAS level and then went back and checked them later they were back where they were originally
I noticed my battery percentage dropped a lot quicker on a ride this morning. So I reset the unit to its default settings which gives you PAS level from 0 to 5, I reset that to 0 to 9 and adjust the percentages and this time they seem to have stuck. I'm still not sure what the speed sensor settings should be, when you reset to default the assistant num is 12 and speed sensor is 1 and I left it that way. The instructions in the manual seem to say it should be 12 because that's the number of magnets. I thought about switching it to 12 and taking it for a ride but I'm a little nervous as to what will happen. I'm thinking the different range could be down to me having adjusted slow start to 0 or maybe some of the maximum amp adjustments so I left them alone after the reset

They have a 30 day return policy if your not satisfied. Have you checked out the support page on their web site. I saw this.

Update Controller Software - 500/700 Series

Available only in the case of glitches or software issues in certain situations, the controller software can be updated.
how is the software updated?

Back