My 1st 50 miles on the new Como 5.0

It has been discussed many times in R&M forums: several popular models have the pedals as low as they scrape the pavement if the rider tries pedalling on cornering. As for EUR8,000 e-bikes that's a serious design flaw you'd say? But it is not. It is down to the proper riding technique.

Let us say you ride at high speed and suddenly press only the front brake lever hard: the Over-The-Bars is imminent. Would you call it a serious design fault? Not. Because you need to press both brake levers to brake safely. Cornering with the inner pedal up is one of the basic riding techniques.

Again: As R&M owners still want to have a greater pedal-to-ground clearance (and you can try talking to R&M forever, good luck), many of them opted to replace their cranks with shorter ones, especially as it is a cheaper option than replacing the wheels (and replacing the 650b wheels with 700 ones will again force you to use narrower tyres etc).

Why is the Como pedal-to-ground clearance so low? Simple: It is expected you could stay in the saddle with your toes touching the ground. The comfort thing. If you wanted a big clearance, you should have bought an e-MTB...
This discussion of low pedals and pedal strikes while riding is interesting. I have a Turbo Como low entry and I've never experienced having a pedal strike the ground during turns. I'm glad I now know that it is a possibility.

Back