Multiple renewable energy sources

Evilc

Region
United Kingdom
Has work been done on extending range of e cycling by using several energy systems together? I am envisaging bringing together recharging by pedalling, braking, solar and micro wind. What possibilities have been considered?

In the Netherlands they have bikes with sails like a surfboard. Works for them, but I don't ride on a beach.
the county city or state puts pavement & lines down in estabilished directions. I ride in the direction they have organized or rent a 40 acre grassy field to ride in any direction, to nowhere useful.
Hubmotors that charge the battery downhill are available. GMAC. They also drag unpowered, since they lack a one way clutch to unload the rider's feet without power. Bad plan, requiring power 100% of the time. I wore out my first hub motor @ 2 1/2 years & 4500 miles, pedaled it out to the destination, then 27 miles back to town, with no drag or power. Geared hubmotor with a one way clutch. Damaged motor wouldn't even turn backwards, but forwards was fine.
solar acts like a big parachute if the wind is blowing the wrong way. Maybe great in the horse lattitudes. Not here. I did fine pedaling without power until global warming made 25 mph winds pick up in May & September.
September 2017 I rode 27 miles in 5.7 hours at 130-140 bpm in 96 deg F. Decided to buy a geared hub motor & battery. My electricity would have to fail before I do that again.
Gasoline is your highest density lowest weight alternative source of power, but it stinks, causes CO2, and is **** noisy. I won't have any motor smaller than a 4 cylinder because of the noise of a V-twin etc. I've sworn off gasoline except for vacations in cars, lawn mowing, earth moving with my tractor. Natural lawn control would take a $20000 wire fence and trips out there to water/feed/tend the goats in snow & ice. Goats are coyote food, takes a donkey or two to guard them without herders around. Natural lawn control would be a waste of CO2 , all that steel, and the 4WD pickup it would take to travel out there in the ice & snow.to tend the animals.
Horses as transportation are all natural, use low emissions fodder. For a 27 mile commute in 3.5 hours would take 3 horses, with 2 relay stations. Or an extreme athelete horse that has been extensively trained (time). I'm more efficient than a horse, on a pedal bicycle on pavement. 2500 calories a day. Plus I put my bicycle in the garage and don't think about cleaning up after it when there is snow & ice on the ground.
Camels are more efficient than a horse on long distances, but the dromedaries don't do winter.

Last edited:
Back