Mounting Rear MIK Rack Over Allant+ 8S

souldoubt

Region
USA
I'm really not in love with the dinky rear rack the Allant+ 8S comes with. However, fully removing it and replacing it with another rear rack isn't awesome because that means the fender and integrated light go too. I happen to have a MIK rack and it seems to fit without much fuss over the integrated rack. I'm able to remove the existing rack's mounting bolt and simply run the bolt through both racks' mounting holes. The bolt doesn't bit as deep but I do still get a few turns in. Throw a collar onto the seat stem for the stabilization bars and this situation seems to work.

I'm not a mechanical engineer so my question is: Does this seem sketchy to mount two pieces together in this way? Would using a longer bolt be smarter--and where does one find such bolts, it's a difficult part to google.

Attachments

• double_rack_close.jpeg
    double_rack_close.jpeg
    523.4 KB · Views: 699
  • double-rack-full.jpeg
    double-rack-full.jpeg
    530.7 KB · Views: 685
I'm really not in love with the dinky rear rack the Allant+ 8S comes with. However, fully removing it and replacing it with another rear rack isn't awesome because that means the fender and integrated light go too. I happen to have a MIK rack and it seems to fit without much fuss over the integrated rack. I'm able to remove the existing rack's mounting bolt and simply run the bolt through both racks' mounting holes. The bolt doesn't bit as deep but I do still get a few turns in. Throw a collar onto the seat stem for the stabilization bars and this situation seems to work.

I'm not a mechanical engineer so my question is: Does this seem sketchy to mount two pieces together in this way? Would using a longer bolt be smarter--and where does one find such bolts, it's a difficult part to google.
The bolt is no doubt metric. Have you tried a local hardware store, one with a good selection of nuts and bolts? Not Home Depot, but an independent one.

Yes, you want a bolt long enough such that you fully engage the threads. Otherwise, you risk failure just when it matters the most. I don't think stacking the mounts like you did is a problem, as long as you don't overload the rack - like having your kid ride on it, like mine used to do. :)

I have not tried this with my allant8s but the rack for the allant7 is very similar to the one your trying to install. Since the allant7 and 8 share the same frame with the exception of the fork you might have a much easier time installing the rack from the 7. Only problem would be trying to find one to purchase.

I would just leave the MIK rack over the integrated one like you have in the second pic. You retain the fender and rear light that way. It’s so dinky it’s barely visible anyway. Just make sure it’s sturdy enough. For a more secure install you can find longer bolts at places like Home Depot or well-stocked hardware stores.

Last edited:
Back