Mountaineer Mountain bike?

That's a cheap bike, cheap components. What I don't like; small capacity battery, looks like a spring fork but they don't say (I prefer air fork), probably mechanical disc brakes but they don't say, (I prefer hydraulic with large rotors), and 26" tires (I prefer 27.5"). It doesn't say it the motor is internal geared. Personally, I would pass on it. You will have some fun, but when you get an importer like that, support and quality is going to be low. Cheap components mean quick upgrades, and then you should have just spent the money at the start with a higher quality bike. Also, I'm very concerned when they don't give details about the components, they just say they have components. They don't even tell you how many gears!

I was looking at the same ebike while looking for reviews.
Good price and free shipping in US (I am in Canada).
Only came across one review and he rates it as good.
So what do you think.
Special price is only for Black friday.
The comany is new but they seem to to be legit?
Dennis

Most of the parts seem generic (China)
The lack of details is a red flag, but that price is hard to get over.

I agree with Rich. The suspension will likely be just a steel spring in one leg, it'll offer rebound to the point of being springy. Dangerous on a real MTB trail when braking, it'll dive hard and rebound hard. Hitting a curve at speed will be tricky. If you're lucky it has an adjustment to take all the rebound out, but then there's no suspension and you'll be dragging around a heavy fork for nothing. Speaking of heavy, I have serious doubts for the claimed weight of 41 pounds, I'd almost bet money it's over 50. Very few high end ebikes come close to 41 pounds. The small battery is the biggest concern. It's inexpensive, also cheap. You can do better.

Here is my advice on selecting an eBike. What you choose, depends on how much of a bike mechanic you are, or want to be. I've built drag cars from scratch when I was a young man. Now I'm 65 and want to ride a LOT more than build. So I now buy higher end bikes from a dealer. Bikes I can hop on and thrash through anything I want. Just keeping the chain clean and oiled, brakes adjusted, and tire pressures. That's it, I ride. I have a Haibike full suspension mountain bike, and a Haibike Trekking bike. Bikes that really perform extremely well at their designed application. My first ebike was a $500 Sondors Fat Bike off Craigslist. I rode it 1500 miles, it's a looker, but rides like a log truck. It doesn't do anything particularly well, but does ride. So choose what you want to do. Buy cheap and do upgrades and fixes, or buy high end and have fun! About 3,000 miles of fun on the two high end bikes so far. Buy high end at the end of the season, or last year's model and you save at least 30%. You really have to be careful on suppliers. Anyone with a credit card can go on Alibaba and buy 500 cheap bikes and call themselves dealers. They are sellers, not dealers. They may not order parts, may know very little about bikes.

Hey guys,I recently bought 4 Genesis Mountaineers and ordered 4 more today.If you look at the many pictures you will see that it has decent components.Shimano Altus 27 speed,Tektro mechanical disc brakes and levers.Pedal assist only,and 5 not 3 levels of power assist! It has a decent fork with spring preload on one side and a manual lockout on the other.Internal cables and wires with servicable connecters in plain sight.Yes,it weighs about 41 lbs.All of this for $599 + free shipping.How can you go wrong?

I was going to build up my Specialized Sirrus with a Luna Cycle mid drive kite, but then I cam across this bike, and realized I'm mostly interested in mountain biking but need a little extra help with hills. I currently just have a single speed 29er with a rigid fork. I could build that up or buy this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

https://ridegenesis.com/collections..._q84XogqpxGQ4Ez_pW3sJLp19vfBWlsRoCnpYQAvD_BwE
Better to stick with the mid-drive on your specialized.

Hey guys,I recently bought 4 Genesis Mountaineers and ordered 4 more today.If you look at the many pictures you will see that it has decent components.Shimano Altus 27 speed,Tektro mechanical disc brakes and levers.Pedal assist only,and 5 not 3 levels of power assist! It has a decent fork with spring preload on one side and a manual lockout on the other.Internal cables and wires with servicable connecters in plain sight.Yes,it weighs about 41 lbs.All of this for $599 + free shipping.How can you go wrong?
Well you sure have enough bikes for parts! But if you did go wrong, you went wrong times 8. I thought everyone had 5 levels of assist. And with 8 small batteries, you can add a rack and get some decent distance.

Genesis advertises 3 power levels in their literature,so was surprised to actually have 5 levels..They also call it a mini fat tire bike?? It has 26 x 2.10 Kenda Small Block 8's. It helps to be mechanically inclined to own such bikes,as mentioned above,cust service probably won't be great..But it helps to be a member of this great site full of information and help! These are pedal assist models only,so the range could be decent enough as is.It also only takes about an hour and a half to charge the batteries..We just need them to complete a 9 mile round trip at a time.

What brand battery does this bike use ?
There has been stories in the news recently about unbranded batteries catching fire .
I said I'd be concerned ; I did't say don't buy it .

Manual says Sanyo cells .Discrepancy in AH ratings though.Think the manual specs and data are outdated..

Attachments

• IMG_20171214_154039.jpg
    IMG_20171214_154039.jpg
    1,011.3 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_20171214_153831.jpg
    IMG_20171214_153831.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 515
I'd only ride the "Mountaineer" on pavement and dirt roads that cars can traverse - rocky trails will make mincemeat of that bike in short order.

Back