Motor Types and Bike Makers

007vsMagua

As a life long remodeler I've gone through every type of cordless battery the tool industry has used. The new standard is Lithium-ion which I'm grateful for as they go, go, go and charge fast. I recently purchase a new 18v Lithium-ion drill that came with a brushless motor and that drill is smart. It seems brushless motors require more software and electronics to run best...which is why they are not cheap, but still reasonably priced.

I've read all the articles about different motor types for eBikes and they all offer useful options: torque; power; lighter weights; speed; regenerative braking; center of gravity, etc.. What I really like about the brushless/gearless hub motor is its simplicity and the minimal amount of parts which should result in longevity.

I've only been looking at electric bike reviews for maybe a month, and the one bike that stands out to me is the Stromer ST1. While not perfect it comes closet to what I would like in an eBike. I see there are 131 sub-forums and I assume they are for the different makers. Trying to hunt down makers that only use brushless/gearless motors in their designs is impossible.

And so, what other eBike makers only use brushless/gearless hub motors?

@007vsMagua Court has a search engine on the main review side of EBR and I plugged in 'Bikes with Regen' to pull up a lot of ebikes with direct drive, non-geared hub motors. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a search option for motor types but I think I'll suggest that. Look over some of these and you should start to get a feel for what models and brand of electric bikes use the type of motor you're interested in. Happy hunting!

BionX is also direct drive. Found in Ohm bikes and a couple other brands. It is also a kit that can be added to a regular bike.

@007vsMagua Court has a search engine on the main review side of EBR and I plugged in 'Bikes with Regen' to pull up a lot of ebikes with direct drive, non-geared hub motors. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a search option for motor types but I think I'll suggest that. Look over some of these and you should start to get a feel for what models and brand of electric bikes use the type of motor you're interested in. Happy hunting!

Thanks Ann and everyone. I'll plug that in and take a look. :)

Thanks Ann and everyone. I'll plug that in and take a look. :)

I plugged it in and saw what I was looking for. At the top of the list was the Vintage Electric Bikes - Cruz. Last week I saw that bike being tested by Jay Leno at his garage. He did a great Pee Wee Herman laugh. That's a cool looking bike, I love it. It's not quite my style but the other bikes listed give me a great place to start. I mentioned in another post that I'm a year out from making a purchase and I look forward to seeing how the market moves forward.

Back