Most ebikers are retired or near retiring age where age has taken a tool on muscle strenght and endurance.

I have an Evelo Quest Max folder has a throttle, mid drive, NuVinci transmission and gates belt. Pretty sure they have several models with same setup. www.evelo.com
Thank you, Dentman.
I just checked and some posts indicate that one needs to be cautious of mountain riding with the NuVinci. What do you think about that?

Thank you, Dentman.
I just checked and some posts indicate that one needs to be cautious of mountain riding with the NuVinci. What do you think about that?
Haven't tried off road with a NuVinci but can understand that sentiment. I find the NuVinci helpful when starting from a dead stop because you can downshift without pedaling. Never fun riding in traffic, coming to a stop and forgetting to shift to a lower gear.

You ride on US 101 and US 212? How wide are the lanes in Washington state and Montana?

I've never ridden on route 212 in Montana, but from Google Street View it looks pretty narrow with no shoulder. The highway is only open from Memorial Day to late October, so I suspect if you rode it after Labor Day there wouldn't be too much traffic.

My riding experiences in Montana were generally quite good, with either very lightly traveled roads or busier roads with great shoulders to ride on.

Washington is more of a mixed bag, with some popular cycling routes having (in my opinion) poor shoulders and are sometimes rather scary with lots of traffic and poor sight lines.

The 101 is complicated... There are a few scary and onerous sections, most notably through Olympic National Park at Crescent Lake, but (in particular for that section) there are multiple alternate routes and you'd be wise to take them. Further south 101 is generally not heavily traveled (around Hoquiam and Aberdeen is an exception) with good to pretty good shoulders.

If you ride 101 in Oregon it is recommended you ride it North to South, as ODOT has made more of an effort to make room for bicyclists in that direction. You also really want to ride it southbound because then the constant wind is more-or-less at your back.

And a video where they turned back.

I personally think what is hilarious about that video is that after that section the road is not particularly scary.

A better video showing deranged outlaw bikers on that route:

The real action starts around 2:10

I am in fact older than dirt and at times grumpy to boot, moaning about younger generations, but I love Dustin Klein’s videos. He is a hard core gravel guy, and his videos are frequently terrific.

I agree that many Ebikers are seniors or close to it but I'm seeing a big increase in overall Ebike adoption including commuters, young families in urban areas with reasonable infrastructure who are replacing cars with cargo Ebikes and e-MTB's.

Where did you find those features.
Regen braking
Solar charging
etc
I'm not sure about regen braking, but the guy who made the video built his own trailer with a solar panel on top. It should be there in his YouTube channel.

I went into electric assist requiring a throttle. I never considered a bosch, the drag of unpowered riding that system was conveniently communicated to me by this website.[...]

I've just ordered a 33 pound mid-drive e-bike (STePS, not Bosch, but same idea). I'm very curious to see how it rides unpowered, vs. the 42-55 e-bikes I've had up until now. Maybe that's getting the weight down enough that it'll be a better experience unpowered and on Eco than the others have been. Fingers crossed! Can't wait for my new baby. :)

No offence its just ONE persons opinion on why a particular setup does not meet their needs, anyone can do a video saying the same thing about any ebike, or any other device for that matter.

Mr. Coffee, thanks for the video, it was nice and I'd never heard of Dustin Klein before.

MD - what bike did you get? I know you had your eye on the BMC.

i guess I know where the summer EBR picnic is going to be this year! I haven’t been to Red Lodge since Summer Ski Racing Camp in June of 1969. Steak and potatoes for breakfast, fell off a horse, and got hauled off the head wall on a sled after crashing on a Giant Slalom course and sliding damn near all the way down to the lake. Great 10 days.

There is an EBR summer picnic?

Back