Moscow Plus Weight limit thicker tyres/wheel

AndyB

Hi guys, i'm new here, awaiting delivery on a Moscow Plus. I'm slightly concerned as i'm over the recommended maximum weight as im 310lb (22 stone) with the recommended max weight being 275lb (19.5 stone).
Could anybody advise if i'm likely to encounter problems on the bike and whether buying uprated tyres/wheels might help and if so recommend anything at all?

I'd expect you would break rear spokes. I own a Moscow Plus & i weight 182lbs. I've broken 3 rear spokes & ended up getting the rear wheel replaced.

Im a experienced cyclist but the Moscow Plus was my first ebike. Its been a learning curve due to the extra weight & learning the limits of the bike. In short ive learnt to take a conservative approach to speed bumps/kerbs ie always easy off on approach/lift my butt off the seat. I basically can't be as aggressive as i am when riding my non electric road or mountain bike. This is because there is alot of weight on the rear wheel due to rear hub motor & this increases loads when going over speed bumps/kerbs.

Id suggest not pumping your tyres up to maximum psi. I run my Moscow Plus around 40 - 45psi but i don't know how low could go before pinch flats become a issue.

Hi UVC, thanks a lot for the response. I've had my bike delivered this morning and just setting it up now. The tyres say 26-54 psi so I'm going to start with a lower psi at 30 and see how I go with it. I'll definately take your advice re kerbs and getting up of the saddle good to know.
Can you advise are the replacement spokes available at a standard bike shop or is there somewhere specific to go to get them? (just in case)
I'll mainly be on roads and trails with the odd field here and there I'm not a thrill seeker just trying to lose weight so hopefully I won't put it through too much.

I'd expect you would break rear spokes. I own a Moscow Plus & i weight 182lbs. I've broken 3 rear spokes & ended up getting the rear wheel replaced.

Im a experienced cyclist but the Moscow Plus was my first ebike. Its been a learning curve due to the extra weight & learning the limits of the bike. In short ive learnt to take a conservative approach to speed bumps/kerbs ie always easy off on approach/lift my butt off the seat. I basically can't be as aggressive as i am when riding my non electric road or mountain bike. This is because there is alot of weight on the rear wheel due to rear hub motor & this increases loads when going over speed bumps/kerbs.

Id suggest not pumping your tyres up to maximum psi. I run my Moscow Plus around 40 - 45psi but i don't know how low could go before pinch flats become a issue.

Now, i'm really concerned as i'm interested in the NCM Moscow Electric Mountain Bike (reg, not the plus) and like the O.P i'm in the 310lbs range.

Most ebikes i've researched mostly give a weight limit of 275lbs (some state 300), and the few pros i've talked to almost all intone that they put that there for warranty/liability issues. Some companies would even state max rider weight and then plus 50 more pounds for items on back/front rack etc. (I've seen a few folding ebikes that clearly state 330 - 350 lbs.)

Odd thing is, before i ever became interested in ebikes or even knew anything more than what was on display at the average Walmart, i had a Diamondback Kalamar 29" regular bike (that i got off CList) for a while, even at this weight and never broke anything or had any issues.

Now, i'm really concerned as i'm interested in the NCM Moscow Electric Mountain Bike (reg, not the plus) and like the O.P i'm in the 310lbs range.

Most ebikes i've researched mostly give a weight limit of 275lbs (some state 300), and the few pros i've talked to almost all intone that they put that there for warranty/liability issues. Some companies would even state max rider weight and then plus 50 more pounds for items on back/front rack etc. (I've seen a few folding ebikes that clearly state 330 - 350 lbs.)

Odd thing is, before i ever became interested in ebikes or even knew anything more than what was on display at the average Walmart, i had a Diamondback Kalamar 29" regular bike (that i got off CList) for a while, even at this weight and never broke anything or had any issues.

Likewise, I've ridden a cheap mountain bike for the last year and had no issues at all, i was blissfully unaware that bikes even had weight limits until researching and deciding on the Moscow Plus.
I'm heading out on my first ride shortly and should be doing about 20-25 miles on roads and trails and plan to do similar a few times a week so i can update you if i have any issues. 🤞

So I'm just back from my first ride, I ended up doing about 17 miles. 30 psi was a bit too low, I found 38 psi seemed a good level. Following UVC's advice I stood up on the pedals any times I was up or down curbs, I had a mixture of roads, gravel trails and grassy fields, the bike handled very nicely, I didn't feel any hard impacts although I think being of the saddle for any bumps helped a lot with that.
Obviously only my first ride out but I feel a lot more comfortable about the weight issue having used the bike now.
I couldn't believe how easy it made what used to be the toughest hills for me.
The saddle whilst a lot better than on my old mountain bike has left me with a slightly saw bum but nowhere near the pain I had previously.
I'm very impressed all in all and weather allowing I'll be back out again tomorrow.

So I'm just back from my first ride, I ended up doing about 17 miles. 30 psi was a bit too low, I found 38 psi seemed a good level. Following UVC's advice I stood up on the pedals any times I was up or down curbs, I had a mixture of roads, gravel trails and grassy fields, the bike handled very nicely, I didn't feel any hard impacts although I think being of the saddle for any bumps helped a lot with that.
Obviously only my first ride out but I feel a lot more comfortable about the weight issue having used the bike now.
I couldn't believe how easy it made what used to be the toughest hills for me.
The saddle whilst a lot better than on my old mountain bike has left me with a slightly saw bum but nowhere near the pain I had previously.
I'm very impressed all in all and weather allowing I'll be back out again tomorrow.

Ah ha, was eagerly awaiting this report. Seems i should be fine.

Now i'm in a pickle. I'm torn between the NCM Moscow and the Eahora X5 / X7 folding. My live-in situation is really space constrained and the folding would be just fine. NCM Moscow is a good value all around...

Ah ha, was eagerly awaiting this report. Seems i should be fine.

Now i'm in a pickle. I'm torn between the NCM Moscow and the Eahora X5 / X7 folding. My live-in situation is really space constrained and the folding would be just fine. NCM Moscow is a good value all around...

I am by no means an expert in bikes but I can tell you whilst the Moscow Plus a great ride, it is big heavy and quite cumbersome (mine is the 29", I heard they have less issues with spokes breaking and as the tyres are thicker than the 27.5 they should hold a bit more weight) . Luckily we have a bike store in a locked room in the underground car park at my flat so I only have to bring the battery upstairs for charging.

I've cycled another 28 miles since my last message and have also taken the bike in for a service to align the brakes and the gears and check the spokes tension.
I've thoroughly enjoyed the rides and I now feel a lot more confident to tackle much longer rides knowing the bike can help me out if necessary.
I've not had any issues other than the spokes started making a pinging noise after they came back from service but I was told that I may hear that for a day or two as the spokes settle back into place.
I've gone slightly overboard buying a pannier rack and bag, along with two rear and two front lights, portable electric pump, bottle of tyre slime and a new saddle the Selle SMP Martin Touring Large Gel which is nearly twice as wide and a fair bit more padding than the standard saddle.

I've cycled another 28 miles since my last message and have also taken the bike in for a service to align the brakes and the gears and check the spokes tension.
I've thoroughly enjoyed the rides and I now feel a lot more confident to tackle much longer rides knowing the bike can help me out if necessary.
I've not had any issues other than the spokes started making a pinging noise after they came back from service but I was told that I may hear that for a day or two as the spokes settle back into place.
I've gone slightly overboard buying a pannier rack and bag, along with two rear and two front lights, portable electric pump, bottle of tyre slime and a new saddle the Selle SMP Martin Touring Large Gel which is nearly twice as wide and a fair bit more padding than the standard saddle.
I got a pannier rack and pannier bag and its been great ! I have all my bike stuff, D-lock etc in one side and my lunch, work stuff in the other and the great thing is you dont even notice they are there, no more heavy rucksack weighing me down.

Hello mate, just thought i'd check in on you again regarding how your Moscow Plus has been holding up since you got it and gone on a few rides now.

Like you, i'm up there in weight and still undecided in pulling the trigger on the Moscow (reg, not the plus, budget constraints), but your experience has been helping me get there. The Leon cycle guys emailed me back saying i should watch out for the back spokes and lower the assist level to 1, as this "will lower the torque to the rear wheel hub motor and reduce the occurrence of broken spokes ".

They also mention, "you may experience other failures that we cannot predict. Then again you may not experience any other failures at all." 😑

I'd really want to avoid getting one of those folding 20 inch ebikes, as those all explicitly list a rider weight of 300 lbs (and over...looking at the Qualisports Beluga).

Also which do you prefer regarding the tyres, 27.5 or 29?

Thanks.

Hello mate, just thought i'd check in on you again regarding how your Moscow Plus has been holding up since you got it and gone on a few rides now.

Like you, i'm up there in weight and still undecided in pulling the trigger on the Moscow (reg, not the plus, budget constraints), but your experience has been helping me get there. The Leon cycle guys emailed me back saying i should watch out for the back spokes and lower the assist level to 1, as this "will lower the torque to the rear wheel hub motor and reduce the occurrence of broken spokes ".

They also mention, "you may experience other failures that we cannot predict. Then again you may not experience any other failures at all." 😑

I'd really want to avoid getting one of those folding 20 inch ebikes, as those all explicitly list a rider weight of 300 lbs (and over...looking at the Qualisports Beluga).

Also which do you prefer regarding the tyres, 27.5 or 29?

Thanks.

Hey Buddy, I've covered about 400km so far, been out on it nearly every day.
The only issue I noticed was yesterday when I got back in from a 15 mile ride, I had a fair few bits of off roading over small roots and a very bumpy gravel track. I felt the bike thump down a bit harder than usual a couple of times, given I haven't been on that sort of terrain to often and the rear brake disc was loose and on closer inspection I had lost a few of the screws holding it in. I cant say whether they were all definitely there prior to purchase but it didnt cause me an issue, I had just noticed a little bit of noise as I was getting back home, I've replaced the screws and tightened up and carrying on as usual and the bike felt fine on my ride today.
I will definitely keep an eye on this and check the tightness more regularly but that is the only problem I have had so far.
I've checked the spokes regularly and they all seem fine, I've used the power assistance up to level 6 and had no ill effects at all.
I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
I got the 29" which has a larger frame. I'm 6"0 and the frame is just within my comfort for getting on and off. I can just about stand over the frame of the bike with my feet planted, but the middle part of the frame is literally right up to my groin when doing this so from my experience if you're shorter than 6"0 the 29" may be a touch big but still manageable.
I heard the 29" handles the bumps of potholes etc a lot better and has less issues with the spokes than the 27.5" which I haven't tried.
I was very worried about the purchase before hand due to my weight but i am now very happy and comfortable with the bike.
The power assistance is incredible and is a major factor in me covering so much distance in a short space of time.
I'm more than happy to talk about this bike all day so any other questions you have feel free.

Thanks for the feedback, all good stuff.

Think I'll go for the 27.5 tyre. Will just have to deal with dragging it up stairs to my 2nd floor abode. I'm just about 5'10 tall.

Sent them an email regarding availability of fenders, as I didn't see it on their site. Awaiting a reply.

Thanks for the feedback, all good stuff.

Think I'll go for the 27.5 tyre. Will just have to deal with dragging it up stairs to my 2nd floor abode. I'm just about 5'10 tall.

Sent them an email regarding availability of fenders, as I didn't see it on their site. Awaiting a reply.

From what I've seen the Leoncycle website (assuming that's where you were looking) are pretty useless for accessories outside of Australia. Quite a few people on this Forum have ordered bits and pieces from the Australian site to be shipped but it takes forever to arrive.
There are also a few independent Australian shops with a good amount of accessories such as https://www.electric-bicycles.com.au/ that I have personally used (by default they wont ship outside Australia but if you email them theyre very good at responding and getting the bits and pieces sent).
I'm based in the UK and the leoncycle shop here doesn't even have an accessories section.
I'm sure there is a section in the forum here where someone posted links on where to get fenders and racks, but it might take a while to search through and find.

Back