MOPED TYPE EBIKES ARE THEY ALL SAME

Here’s the thing. Years of customer support and 100s’ of calls and emails from budget bike buyers that were sorely dissapionted when their sub $1300 bike batteries gave up the ghost after a year or couldn’t find replacement parts withou5 spendy upgrades. Or tried to ride daily 365 and found that 1k more and they’d have far more reliability. Dude I’m thrilled you found a great bike for you, but I think you’re the odd man out. A heavy daily commuter, in my opinion, will soon be dissapionted. harryS and riders with his repair and technical acumen do well with budget bikes, but you guys aren’t the general market. N00bs read this and the repairs and troubleshooting are out of their skill set, leaving them with a $1200 loss. I’m not criticizing your choice just wanting those expecting support and trouble free service to understand th3 reality of low priced factory direct eBikes. YOU are your own local bike shop. And most LBS that sell and service the brands the sell won’t touch these bikes. And the battery build quality is highly questionable. I expect enough fire will sooner or later eliminate these $200-$300 batteries. I know they sell them for more but th3 battery builds use non3 of th3 current industry safety standards.

A First quality conversion kit, dealer pricing is near the finished ebike price. My scratch buil$ with wholesale sourced parts and deep discount quality components has sucked up over $2000 USD. 1/5 of which was just a battery.

again, I’m thrilled you’re happy, just hate to see the masses fall for the ”deal”.
My replacement battery will be around $500.00 not 2. I have been running this battery for 2.5 years now, no problems. When it fails I'll ship it to Tfl Power in S. Cal to be rebuilt. They use all Samsung and LG parts. Cost will be about half of new and probably last longer than a new one. Yes, my bike is well made. Customer support with Ecotric is good. They return emails by next day. They are in Oakland, Ca.not overseas. I ride alot and hit potholes etc and see no cracks or broken welds. The frame is solid. The motor runs whisper quiet and fast. I take care of it. It has hydrolic disk brakes front and rear and I clean the rotors after every ride, along with the suspension tubes. Oil the seat suspension and replace brake pads when needed and clean and lube the chain. Come winter I spend $100.00 at a local bike shop for a complete tuneup and brake bleeding. Small investment to ride all summer. So, bottom line is this. Yes, you can get a good low cost ebike that holds up well.Just be ready to buy better tires and seat for it. I ride with a bike club somtimes and see people riding in pain and discomfort on bikes with small hard seats and no suspension. Makes no sense to go 25 miles in pain.I ride in comfort on Schwalbe Balloon tires with double lining. Going on 3 years, not one flat! So, it's whatever makes you comfortable with ebikes. Takes very little to make big upgrades for comfort and dependability. You can spend a ton of money if ya want. Why would ya? Just shop smart.

OK, that being said can the pedals be used at lower speeds to get exercise?( I would like to know)
if your talking about that Onyx in the picture heck no, those pedals are usless! The bike weighs a ton and has no gears!

you have not saved thousands. you still have a bike with low quality parts. as much as you are riding you better be checking all those unsealed bearings too those parts then to not hold up in the long run. . I can get up this hill with 350 watts.
View attachment 137511
Thats not a hill, thats a catapult, we have a couple like that, this separates, the clutch burners from the drivers.

if your talking about that Onyx in the picture heck no, those pedals are usless! The bike weighs a ton and has no gears!
:oops:
My replacement battery will be around $500.00 not 2. I have been running this battery for 2.5 years now, no problems. When it fails I'll ship it to Tfl Power in S. Cal to be rebuilt. They use all Samsung and LG parts. Cost will be about half of new and probably last longer than a new one. Yes, my bike is well made. Customer support with Ecotric is good. They return emails by next day. They are in Oakland, Ca.not overseas. I ride alot and hit potholes etc and see no cracks or broken welds. The frame is solid. The motor runs whisper quiet and fast. I take care of it. It has hydrolic disk brakes front and rear and I clean the rotors after every ride, along with the suspension tubes. Oil the seat suspension and replace brake pads when needed and clean and lube the chain. Come winter I spend $100.00 at a local bike shop for a complete tuneup and brake bleeding. Small investment to ride all summer. So, bottom line is this. Yes, you can get a good low cost ebike that holds up well.Just be ready to buy better tires and seat for it. I ride with a bike club somtimes and see people riding in pain and discomfort on bikes with small hard seats and no suspension. Makes no sense to go 25 miles in pain.I ride in comfort on Schwalbe Balloon tires with double lining. Going on 3 years, not one flat! So, it's whatever makes you comfortable with ebikes. Takes very little to make big upgrades for comfort and dependability. You can spend a ton of money if ya want. Why would ya? Just shop smart.
Have been happy with the Ecotric bikes I have owned, the low-cost "Peacedove" surprised me with its utility,I guess a lot of satisfaction depends on the willingness to pedal.

:oops:

Have been happy with the Ecotric bikes I have owned, the low-cost "Peacedove" surprised me with its utility,I guess a lot of satisfaction depends on the willingness to pedal.
My girlfriend has a Peacedove and has loved the thing for 2 years. It's just 350 watts but she only weighs 120 lbs and it climbs big hills easily. The drawback to that bike is no front suspension or Lcd control screen. It also only has disk brakes on one wheel. She is selling her's come spring and buying the Ecotric Leopard. It has 500 watts, front suspension, dual disk brakes, and lcd screen like mine. Really nice bike for $850.00. We will swap out the tires for more Schwalbe puncture resistant tires, as well as put her suspension seat, fenders, rear rack and lights on the new one. As far as having a willingness to peddle, that is completely up to the rider as that bike has plenty of power for people 150 lbs or less. We live in Wa state with many hills.These bikes do real good with some assist. No real effort to climb any streets.

The ignore button is so tempting.
Another beautiful sunny, warm day here in the Pacific NW. Going riding along the Columbia River today and end at a big lake. All paved bike trails through woods and fall colors. Many miles of trails to ride and great weather to ride in. This is what retirement is for. Not for grumbling and pissing contests. Life is too short. See ya out there.

A percentage of people with strong opinions about electric bikes could not identify one if it was in front of them. They would not know how it works or how to ride one.

Attachments

• Chisel (2).JPG
    Chisel (2).JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 116
A percentage of people with strong opinions about electric bikes could not identify one if it was in front of them. They would not know how it works or how to ride one.
Don't worry I have been watching some of your sensible builds and learning, been having so much success with high gear on my "bought bikes"( gives you plenty of exercise as well) My next creation may be a single- speed or 3-5 spd IGH, I really have no need for anything over 25 mph. Can one get a 10.5-12 AH bottle battery?

Don't worry I have been watching some of your sensible builds and learning, been having so much success with high gear on my "bought bikes"( gives you plenty of exercise as well) My next creation may be a single- speed or 3-5 spd IGH, I really have no need for anything over 25 mph. Can one get a 10.5-12 AH bottle battery?
For cargo and heavy duty I will use 48V, 10.5's. I am installing one today. For a weekend rental this past Saturday and Sunday, I let a guy from Oregon use two batteries, both 36V. One was 10.5 and the other 7.5. He did 60 miles of coastal hills each day and only used the 7.5 shown in that photo above on the drop bar bike. I love my IGH three with coaster. It is so clean and elegant. And the chromo with an upright position is comfy to ride. With a 16-t cog to a 42 ring it sustains over 20 which is fine for around town. It will still climb anything a car can go up as long as cadence is high. Make sure that the cells & BMS are top shelf and you are good to go.

The leather washers on the fenders match the tires and it has a place for coffee.

Attachments

• CremeUno3j.JPG
    CremeUno3j.JPG
    339.8 KB · Views: 122
  • CremeUno3i.JPG
    CremeUno3i.JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 108
  • CremeUno3h.JPG
    CremeUno3h.JPG
    350.9 KB · Views: 116
  • CremeUno3g.JPG
    CremeUno3g.JPG
    347.3 KB · Views: 113
  • CremeUno3f.JPG
    CremeUno3f.JPG
    296.8 KB · Views: 106
  • CremeUno3d.JPG
    CremeUno3d.JPG
    221.7 KB · Views: 105
  • CremeUno3c.JPG
    CremeUno3c.JPG
    412.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 31022f.JPG
    31022f.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 99
  • CremeUno3k.JPG
    CremeUno3k.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 104
  • CremeUno3l.JPG
    CremeUno3l.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 95
  • CremeUno3e - Copy (2).JPG
    CremeUno3e - Copy (2).JPG
    778.7 KB · Views: 117
For cargo and heavy duty I will use 48V, 10.5's. I am installing one today. For a weekend rental this past Saturday and Sunday, I let a guy from Oregon use two batteries, both 36V. One was 10.5 and the other 7.5. He did 60 miles of coastal hills each day and only used the 7.5 shown in that photo above on the drop bar bike. I love my IGH three with coaster. It is so clean and elegant. And the chromo with an upright position is comfy to ride. With a 16-t cog to a 42 ring it sustains over 20 which is fine for around town. It will still climb anything a car can go up as long as cadence is high. Make sure that the cells & BMS are top shelf and you are good to go.
Very good, some 36 volt motors are very torquey and 20 mph checks the boxes for me. Whos the Puppy?

Very good, some 36 volt motors are very torquey and 20 mph checks the boxes for me. Whos the Puppy?
That little three-speed has 85Nm which is just fine for a mid-drive. I put the pup in just for fun. When he could fit in one hand he was on one of his first walks. He saw me ridding 30 meters away and started wagging and dancing like crazy. So I went over. I picked him up, belly up, gave him a hug and patted his belly as he wiggled and then relaxed. Then I very slowly set him down. He leapt into my arms again. This continued a few times. Now when ever I see him he has to jump all over me and get his belly pet. His name is Bodie. One IGH is affordable, has classic lines, and is a Nexus 7. It is the Public V7i. The 'i' is for internal. Here is one in British Racing Green for Christmas.

Attachments

• 21V7i07.JPG
    21V7i07.JPG
    320.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 21V7i12.JPG
    21V7i12.JPG
    584.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
It's getting hard to identify an electric bike that looks non electric. The bottle batteries that look like water bottles along with the light frames and thin tires complete the deception. I see these bikes in the bike club I ride with and they look like race bikes. The overall purpose of this type ebike is to look like your on a non ebike and doing all the work, not the battery. Alot to spend to hide the real source of power. You can spend much less money and go just as far, just as fast, but then everyone will know you have a battery onboard. For me, that's fine. Lol

Here’s the thing. Years of customer support and 100s’ of calls and emails from budget bike buyers that were sorely dissapionted when their sub $1300 bike batteries gave up the ghost after a year or couldn’t find replacement parts withou5 spendy upgrades. Or tried to ride daily 365 and found that 1k more and they’d have far more reliability. Dude I’m thrilled you found a great bike for you, but I think you’re the odd man out. A heavy daily commuter, in my opinion, will soon be dissapionted. harryS and riders with his repair and technical acumen do well with budget bikes, but you guys aren’t the general market. N00bs read this and the repairs and troubleshooting are out of their skill set, leaving them with a $1200 loss. I’m not criticizing your choice just wanting those expecting support and trouble free service to understand th3 reality of low priced factory direct eBikes. YOU are your own local bike shop. And most LBS that sell and service the brands the sell won’t touch these bikes. And the battery build quality is highly questionable. I expect enough fire will sooner or later eliminate these $200-$300 batteries. I know they sell them for more but th3 battery builds use non3 of th3 current industry safety standards.

A First quality conversion kit, dealer pricing is near the finished ebike price. My scratch buil$ with wholesale sourced parts and deep discount quality components has sucked up over $2000 USD. 1/5 of which was just a battery.

again, I’m thrilled you’re happy, just hate to see the masses fall for the ”deal”.
Have you tried the "weldless" battery building kits? If I remember correctly Micah has been promoting those things. Going to check in a bit to see what His take is on those things now and can you recommend a good kit for crimp connectors( have no luck with a solder gun)

Have you tried the "weldless" battery building kits? If I remember correctly Micah has been promoting those things. Going to check in a bit to see what His take is on those things now and can you recommend a good kit for crimp connectors( have no luck with a solder gun)
I have them all. Micah is a friend. I introduced him to Vruzend. I’ve got hundreds of their kit parts. And N.E.S.E kits too. 2 welders, pack tester, and more…

Solder gun types are a funky choice. Get a decent brand name stick type, a YouTube video, and a practice kit. I’m a retired horticulture guy. I did as I suggested and can do a decent solder job. I dislike kits and crimpers. One simple error with building a poof! Unless you’re going to build multiple batteries the saving isn’t there. Even then getting to the quality levels of a professional builder is a protracted process AND expensive.

Last edited:
Back