"Mileage may vary"

JohnJohn

Region
Canada
I've been reading the advertised 25-45 miles per charge (40-70km) and have always been curious about how far a battery can go. The weekend before last I loaded up for a five day long haul.
  • I have a City 3
  • I weigh about 160 pounds (73kg)
  • I had two 40L panniers with everything but the kitchen sink for a five day trip (kitchen gear, days supply of water for riding all day, food, clothes, a major league toolkit of ratchets, wrenches, etc)
  • I also had another 8 pounds in the extra battery and bag
  • The ride was pretty flat, about half on gravel and half on pavement
  • I was mostly in PAS 1 with the odd exception here and there
I got over 110km (70 miles) per battery which was pretty unexpected and am wondering why Rad cap out the advertised top end at 70km (45 miles)?

The advertised range is a hard variable to tackle since there are so many factors in determining range. A formula I would use is: Wh / W ConΦ @ v = h = mi. Battery Watt-Hour / Watt Consistency at speed = hours = miles. Example for a 48V 16Ah Battery: 768Wh / 750W @ 20mph = 1.02 or 1 hour = 20 mile. The company I worked for in the past; when we were discussing range is to give a realistic idea, not best case scenario. We were not able to determine the average wattage for customers since that one factor could be greatly changed by something as simple as rider weight, ride style, terrain, or even air pressure. I think for these companies if they set their bar low, and the expectations are meet, or exceeded on average, then the consumer generally leaves feeling happier with their product. In your case (like myself) we are both very light in weight, and you're not demanding a high load from the motor (being in PAS1).

I hope that explanation helps to answer your questions! If you want to get into it more, please feel free to ask :)

Thanks for doing that and sharing, I've been tempted to do a max range test (ride until my battery dies) but haven't had the patience. I've got 2 bikes (Aventon Pace 500 and Rad Mission) and they both seem to do better than the "advertised" ranges which has been a nice surprise. I did put Tannus Armour insert tire liners in my Aventon and noticed a bit of a drop off in range but nothing too crazy and really wanted the tire liners.

Good for you! My long term goal/solution is a trailer. I recently found about the Buckley Utility Trailer, 2 wheels, that's a bout it. ~$300 locally, Part # 94/202. Anyhow, it looks to be a nice platform to work from. My hope is a ridgid solar panel, connected to a stepper motor, with a sunlight sensor. It auto tips in the direction of the sun. Not so much a camper, but a hauler. Integrate a "boat anchor" box type 48v battery with charging using a DATEX-+ device. I think I could go places! I'll be saving up parts for a while. I've got a plated ankle, new L knee, a series of other gravitational-orthopedic events, and a cardiac event. I think I can get me/my-stuff/ & I where I want to go. There are plenty of YouTube's on guys building ultra battery/solar enhanced bike trailers. Including the one guy with the Arduino directional controller. Cool as .........!

Things to ponder... enjoy

JLH

Did some range testing (Wh/mile) today.
On representative 34.7 mile route (mixed terrain) with average speed of 17.9mph I got power consumption of 406wh or 11.7wh/mile. Considering quite aggressive knobby tyres I'm pleased.
Now with full batteries 2400wh (net) this equals 205 miles at 17.9mph average speed. Propably won't be doing distances like this in one day though.

Back