Mid drives vs Hub drives ???

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
I have a geared rear hub 750w and soon a functioning middrive 350w, rated same nm of torque at 48v. I'm incredibly curious how this middrive will feel.... I agree the hubs are more user friendly.

I like to see personal experiences and results, thanks for posting.

Always depends on what you use the bike for.

For commuting (if you live in a pretty flat area) I´d mostly suggest hub drives.

If you are mostly trailriding or mountainbiking, I´d never suggest a hub and would always go with a middrive.

I live in São Paulo, Brazil and have a Stromer ST1 with the 14.5amp battery (the gold battery). The city has many hills and I think there are some hills more steep than the one from New Zeland. Sometimes I cannot go up the hills pedaling and I have to walk the bike which is a lot of work, since the ST1 weights a lot. I am looking to buy a Riese and Muller GX Rolhoof HS, but after reading all the pages of this thread I am not sure anymore. Also, I saw that the R&M has the Bosch HS performance engine with only 350W but 65NM of torque? Whereas the Stromer ST5 has 850W and only 48NM of torque. Are these torque ratings correct? Anyone has used an ST5 on a steep hill? Anyone here has ridden the ST5 and the Riese and Muller? I would love to know how they compare. Also, the roads here are TERRIBLE. The asphalt is completely uneven and full of pot holes, so are middrives better? The are some good places with bike lanes, but since they bike lanes do not connect the whole city, sometimes you have to get out and use regular roads that are pretty bad (like the one in the picture). When I have to leave the bike lanes, my body suffers, because the ST1 has only the front shocks.

Attachments

• Ruas Esburacadas.png
    Ruas Esburacadas.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 613
  • Hills.png
    Hills.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 670
  • Nice bike lane.png
    Nice bike lane.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 618
Hi Ricardo,

For those conditions you described, I would be looking for a mid-drive full suspension or hardtail mountain bike. Preferably with at least a 350 watt motor and a very high peak output. Something like the Trek Powerfly 7 with 36v and 600 watt peak output.

The Stromer isn't ideal for those dirt roads and steep hills. Those torque numbers look correct. Direct drives hubs generally have very low torque.

I went with mid drives, even though they cost more for these reasons: 1) with rear wheel hub drive the back end always felt heavy - especially when climbing; 2) I was concerned about having to change a flat tire with a hub drive. Getting a flat and having to yank the heavy wheels of the bike didn't sit well with me. I had a Copenhagen wheel for a few months and got rid of it simply because it weighed so much; 3) Reliability - this may be more perception than anything else, but all the research and reviews I read pointed to better reliability with the mid-drive than an hub drive system and I haven't found sufficient evidence to change my mind - so far. For evidence: I have over 2,600 miles on my Haibike and no problems except creaking (from cheap cranks which I replaced). My wife has over 1,300 miles with no problems with her mid-drive Haibike and my brother has over 400 miles on his mid-drive Haibike with no problems.

Ricardo -- any bike with a Bosch Performance CX mid-drive and a Rohloff hub will be able to climb most any road. The Bosch Performance HS drive has lower torque and won't climb quite as well.

Do you recomend any other mid drive with higher torque and speed than the Bosch CX?

The only mid-drive I have extensive experience with is the Bosch CX.

One of the things I have noticed is that there seems to be some tradeoff between high-speed performance and low-speed torque for hill climbing. Getting both of those in a lightweight e-bike motor at a reasonable cost appears to be somewhat challenging.

I did 3 weeks or more of research, and figured that for myself I wanted a mid drive. I've still got some trail riding left in me (61 y/o) after many years of enduro motorbikes. It seemed to me that a mid drive had a better weight balance than a hub. Yes, it was more than I originally set out to spend, but I'm very happy with the choice.
My thought was that I'd be 60% on road, and 40% on trails, so I went with eMTB because I wanted the trail experience to be a good one.
Had my primary use case been for commute or city, I likely would have gone hub drive.
The Giant Fathom E+ seems to do a pretty good job in both environments.

One of the things I have noticed is that there seems to be some tradeoff between high-speed performance and low-speed torque for hill climbing. Getting both of those in a lightweight e-bike motor at a reasonable cost appears to be somewhat challenging.
I find the Shimano E8000 a good balance

whether it was more a budget issue that people chose a hub drive instead of a mid drive, or whether it was some really important attribute that people who bought mid-drives were willing to shell out so much more money ? Maybe I'm missing something ?

When I was first looking into ebikes seriously, last March and April, I read TONS online. It sound to me, based on all of that, that torque sensors were more "natural" feeling and cadence sensors were "jerky," with the former being associated with mid-drive and the latter with hub drive bikes. Then I started looking at actual bikes. My regular bike store LBS had ebikes, all mid-drives, all class 1. I decided I wanted to look at bikes with throttles because of my area's extreme hilliness, and that led me to go look at a dealer that had hub drive bikes. THAT dealer, when I asked about this "naturalness" issue, told me that the hub drive bike (note that the dealer also did have mid-drive bikes to sell) were superior for my application, which is suburban/urban and mixed-use bike path riding. I tried the bikes and found that I liked the feeling of the PAS kicking in--it felt fun and supportive, not jerky, to me. The dealer also told me downsides of the mid-drives--that there would be more maintenance, chain wear, and all sorts of issues I would not have to deal with in a hub drive bike, which has a motor that didn't need servicing. The only advantage he cited for the mid-drive bike was for people riding on uneven terrain who need a high level of control, and the ease of changing a rear flat tire. BTW, I never did try riding any of the mid-drive bikes, so I can't speak to how the riding experience might differ.

End of story is that we have four hub-drive bikes and are a happy family of ebikers!

We have both. A Rad Rover hub drive and a Specialized Como 3.0 with mid drive. I prefer the mid drive over the hub based on the two ebikes we have. My wife can accelerate faster than me with her 3 levels of assist versus my 5 levels. On hills, she easily over takes me as well. Maintenance hasn't been an issue yet so I can offer no comparison there.

We live in a very hilly area, The Como 3.0 out performs my (Rad Rover) 750w hub with throttle on the hills.

Like with electric cars I think we are just getting started with electric bikes. Electric bikes still have to find their groove. They dont have to look like a bike with large wheels, especially with hub motors. At some point electric "bikes" will look like small Vespas. I am excited by some extremely capable folding bikes with 20"x4" tires. 750W hub motor 48V 19aH like the GB 750 step thru with front and seat suspension. I think it is the perfect commuter bike which is the future. People fold it and take it with them to the office. As for mid motor electric bike they still need to be big as one has to pedal and change gear all the time. It is not convenient of pedaling on 20" tire bikes. Unless you have a Nu Vinci automatic transmission. That would be the only way I would get a mid motor bike. They are made for each other. In any case I feel that that is the end of 27.5 and 29 and maybe 26" wheels on electric bikes if pedal assist is not needed anymore. And It is better to fall from a 20" wheels bike than a 29". Electric bike in the future will not look like a bike but rather like a small Vespa with small wheels -they call them scooters in Europe, very close to what a 20" wheel step tru folding bike look like.

Last edited:
Unless you get a Nu Vinci automatic transmission.
Well thats an interesting opinion. But I like my derailleur bikes. Don't get me wrong I like IGH bikes, but Nuvinci drives limit the power of mid motor I can run, and the right IGH for power is the Rohloff. 750W is a lotof torque for Nuvinci

Rohloff choices are $1000 these days.

I started riding derailleur bikes 55 years ago. It's second nature. I tried gear sensors thinking they would be an improvement but while still selling them, I have three I'll never use. Seems like these are good products for new riders. I'd still have a manual transmission car IF they were available in my choice of vehicles. My old early 2000's Camry 4cyl manual was a screamer! I dare say it would take on muscle cars. but i digress... The last thing I want is something as big as a Vespa. That design becomes an encumbrance for me, but as always, YMMV!!

Please let me have a BICYCLE I can maintain and work on in my home shop.

If hub drives are so good why don't the domestic shops sell them?
They sell built bikes with them, but I've had trouble finding any shop selling bafang geared hubs with laced rims for a conversion.
What gives??

HI Browneye. I think that a brick and mortar shop that sold geared hub motor kits would have a hard time competing with the internet shops that sell them.

I think it is first Europe vs US. Paying $4000 to have to pedal assist with a mid motor is a no no to me. Paying $3000 for a mid motor with a 1500W Bafang running at 45m/h with a throttle is exilarating and a big yes. Europe has to change its regulations. 2/ bikes will all have 20" wheels with a throttle without pedal assist. There is no reason to have a big frame with a throttle. At some point electric bikes will look like small vespa scooters like the ones I have seen for rental in Chicago. There is no pedals! That is the future. Small foldable or not electric bikes with a throttle, good torque and no need to pedal. 3/ mid motors are better with an inside derailleurs. Until then I will keep using a 750W hub motor.

If hub drives are so good why don't the domestic shops sell them?
They sell built bikes with them, but I've had trouble finding any shop selling bafang geared hubs with laced rims for a conversion.
What gives??
IMO, somewhat misguided choices. Here’s one train of thought, I don’t entirely agree, but the logic is solid.
BTW I started with mid drive kits, still ride them and support them. But personally have no direct benefit or or disadvantage. In my experience the biggest disadvantage of a mid drive is less ability to do my own repairs and tough parts access. My 1967 VW Beetle carried me to work every bit as well as my late model 4d Tundra.

Thanks to eBikes.ca!

WHY HUB MOTORS

HubVsMiddrive.jpg

Why don't you carry the Bafang BBSXX mid-drive kits?
We get this question several times a week and feel that it's worth devoting a page to the subject.

The Bafang mid-drives have become quite popular since they were first introduced as an aftermarket kit option around 2013. Prior to that, most of the mid-drive systms were designed for OEM bike frames and so not accessible to DIY conversions, or those that were meant for aftermarket installations were usually interesting but mechanically complex. The BBS01 design (which Bafang cloned from Sunstar) was neatly integrated as a self contained bottom bracket replacement without all the external mounting hardware, chains, pulleys etc normally associated with mid-motors.

In any case we've had samples of all the BBSxx motors and many variants from other manufacturers but have never felt that they hit the right note for what the majority of our customers are actually after. Integrated controllers limit your upgrade and repair options, wide 'Q' factor cranks to clear the motor can make for awkward pedaling, there have been limited chainring options, not to mention some messy politics in the distribution channel if you've been following that. We have been actively involved in mid-drive solutions for cargo ebikes with the Stokemonkey and varients, just not at the moment for regular biicycles.

Where do BBSxx and similar mid-drives shine?
There are a certain areas where bottom bracket middrive motors are hands down better suited than hub motors. Offroad mounting biking is one great example. The motor weight is low and on the unsprung frame so it has minimal effect on handling even in full suspension bikes. In these situations you are often going slowly uphill through trails with short steep sections and a small motor working through the drivechain in the granny gears of the bike can do this with excellent efficiency. Another example would be say fat bikes riding in sandy beaches or through fresh snow. These are areas where the bike is moving at lowish speeds through high resistance terrain, and the mid-motor in an easy gearing will do this with better efficiency than most hubs drives, while still performing just as well on the faster roads.

For us though, a majority of our customers are using their ebikes for daily use commuting, riding on roads where maintaining a steady speed regardless of the hill grade is important. For that requirement a mid-drive offers almost no advantage and we continue to believe that hub motor kits shine the strongest for reliable and low maintenance commuter ebike conversions, and that's the bulk of who we serve.

Hub Motor Advantages
Here are a few benefits to a hub motor system to keep in mind and help inform your decision. Please don't see this as us taking sides and saying that hub motors are universally better than mid-drive motors, all we want to do is balance out the discussion a little by highlighting the many benefits of a hub motor drive which are frequently missing from popular discourse at the moment.

1) Independent propulsion
This point is often overlooked, but a hub motor has significant robustness in being totally independent of the human drivechain. If you've ever had a situation where a chain breaks, derailleur gets jammed, wet snow packs into the sprockets, freewheel busts apart etc. you become quite grateful that the hub motor can continue to propel the bike to get you home. With a mid-drive motor, anything that takes the drivechain out of commission stops the bike completely as both the motor and pedals become useless.

2) Less stress and wear on drivechain
Chain stretch and cog wear

With a hub motor bike, the use of the motor lessens the mechanical wear and tear on the chain, cogs, and derailleur system, since it decreases pedal stress that the rider would otherwise put on the transmission. A mid-drive motor does the opposite, putting much more force on the chain and cogs with the motor propulsion now added on top of the rider's input. A normal bike chain drive is fairly robust and can usually handle this extra load without failure, but will wear out at a much faster rate, requiring more vigilant attention to chain stretch, cog wear, shifter alignment etc.

3) Ability to use internal gear hubs (IGH)
Internal Gear Hubs work great with front hub motors

This is somewhat related to the above point, but one of the great innovations in bicycle hardware in the past decade has been the production of compact internal gear hubs that are 7-14 speeds with wide gear ranges. With a few exceptions (Rohlhoff and the original Nuvinci N171) these hubs are not rated for the extra stress of a motor drive and will usually have a short service life with more than an extra couple hundred watts from a motor. If you want to use a mid-drive with an internal gear hub, be sure to check whether the hub is rated for tandem and/or cargo use, most explicitly say no.

4) Higher peak power capability
The transmission through your bicycle drivechain also limits the maximum motor power that can be coupled to the wheels. Power levels in the 250-750 watt range are usually fine just with increased wear and tear, but when you are looking for multiple kW of power then you start seeing catastrophic failures with snapped chains, sheared freewheels, broken spokes etc. A hub motor with a properly coupled torque arm has no such limitation.

5) Potential for regenerative braking
Regenerative Braking, not an option with mid-drives
With a direct drive hub motor or a geared hub motor that has a locked clutch, the motor can act as a perfectly controllable brake that isn't affected by rain, pad wear, cable adjustment or anything like that. In a similar manner to how a hub motor reduces wear and maintenance on the pedal drive chain, it can reduce and even eliminate brake pad maintenance as well. You can easily do 90% of your braking electronically with only the odd emergency stop needing the mechanical engagement. On a mid-drive motor, there is really no potential for regen (unless of course you electrify a fixie, but we don't see much of that).

6) Ease of installation
Admittedly the BBSXX systems and clones are pretty straightforward to install if you have bottom bracket removal tools and crank tools. But nothing gets quite as easy to fit as a front hub motor, where you are just taking off the original wheel and replacing it with a motorized one. In general we wouldn't emphasize this too much, as the time spent installing any conversion kit is way less than the time you save from riding it and you should install the system that is right for you. If you are concerned about installation and the facility of moving the assist to different bicycles and such, it's hard to top a front hub motor for minimal hassle.

7) Torque sensors options
Just about every pedal torque sensing technology works with hub motors
Because of the independent propulsion, the hub motor drive leaves any number of sensor technologies available for measuring rider pedal input, including chain tension (BeamTS), rear dropout (TMM4), Rear axle flex (eg BionX), and the many bottom bracket torque sensors (NCTE, Thun, TDCM, Sempu etc.). With a mid-drive, the motor couples through the drivechain so these sensors can'd distinguish pedal power from motor power, and so you are stuck with what the mid-drive system comes with which has so far been pretty limited. Some (like lightningrods and Tongsheng) have a torque sensing, while on the vast majority they are have just a basic pedal cadence sensor.

Now there is no reason why more aftermarket bbs style mid-drive can't have an integrated torque sensor, it's just that so far this mostly exists only on OEM bottom bracket drives like the Bosch. .

8) Simpler operation with shifting
For a mid-motor to work well the rider needs to shift through the gears as they speed up and slow down, and similarly back off on the motor power while shifting to avoid seriously harsh shift transitions. There are shift sensor products to make the latter automatic, while there is nothing you can do if you come to a stop in a mid-drive system and forget to downshift first. The motor will start off in a high gear with low acceleration and efficiency. For regular cyclists this is probably no issue, but for those without that background, the simplicity of not having to shift gears all the time is one big appeal of an ebike. The rider can generally leave the bike in a high gear and use the hub motor to quickly get up to speed so there is no need to go through the motions of downshifting and up-shifting at each stop and go.

Remarks
So, we hope that this sheds some more light on why we've largely stuck to hub motor systems since first becoming enamoured with the Crystalyte 400 motors in 2003. If you've read on websites or forums that hub motors are "yesterday's news" with poor efficiency and handling, and mid-drive systems are the only way to go for an ebike, perhaps you'll have a more informed outlook after reading this.

Mid-drive systems are not some new technology (most ebikes from the 1990's and early 2000's like the Merida Power Cycle and Giant Lafreewere mid-drives), and hub motors continue to evolve to higher levels of power density, efficiency, and bike compatibility since they first rose to prominence in the mid to late 2000's.

I bought two MAC motors with the thought I’d like to have had the 2WD experience. A beast that is now two bikes. Talk about a great trail bike and trailer hauler. Battery back up on trailer is a fairly common diy idea. I’ve never owned a BOSCH, sTeps, or other frame integrated bike. I found riding them a joy. But the thought of going back to a LBS tide bike just doesn’t satisfy me. But retired and assisting users part time and fooling with kits does make me grin.

There’s quite a few Bafang hub drive kits out there, but too few proper gear drives, MAC and eZee would be my first choice. Bafang GD only if there was a solid parts chain without a month wait from China. Bafang sucks at helping shops maintain a parts chain. Making eBikes.ca one of the few source for Bafang, IF you use the motor they sell.

Back