mid drives are not for everyone/throttles are fine

You always let up on the pressure when shifting on any bike pretty much. when your talking most rear hub bikes they have cheap compnents its going to be even worse. you let up as you get smoother shifting. broken chain and stuff in hier prefomace riders happens a fair amount. again rear wheels on hub bikes then to low end and the spokes like to come loose and break. I never said anything about the wheel falling off.
"if your real wheel falls apart because its poorly built"
Same response !

Also my bike, being a Trek DIY, does not "have cheap components".

"You always let up on the pressure when shifting on any bike pretty much"
Like I said, I DON'T.
In fact my bike, like all of the bike I have ever shifted, will not shift unless there is pedal pressure!

Just admit when your wrong and things will go a lot better for you.
Better yet, don't try to pick arguments others with BS and you will do great !

"if your real wheel falls apart because its poorly built"
Same response !

Also my bike, being a Trek DIY, does not "have cheap components".

Like I said, I DON'T.
In fact my bike, like all of the bike I have ever shifted, will not shift unless there is pedal pressure!

Just admit when your wrong and things will go a lot better for you.
Better yet, don't try to pick arguments others with BS and you will do great !
whatever I know I have only ridden something like 30,000 or so miles over the years. Hell in the last year and a half I have ridden 15,000 miles. regular bikes recumbent and e bikes and tandems. I have never had a bike that took peddle pressure to shift. I often shift down while braking when I come to a light. Shifting under load is hard on the gear train no matter what. I am constantly shifting to keep my cadence up I bet hundreds of times on some rides. and if you look though pages you see a lot of spoke issues on hub driven bikes.

whatever I know I have only ridden something like 30,000 or so miles over the years. Hell in the last year and a half I have ridden 15,000 miles. regular bikes recumbent and e bikes and tandems. I have never had a bike that took peddle pressure to shift. I often shift down while braking when I come to a light. Shifting under load is hard on the gear train no matter what. I am constantly shifting to keep my cadence up I bet hundreds of times on some rides. and if you look though pages you see a lot of spoke issues on hub driven bikes.
Cut the crap ! What bicycle can shift without the chain moving? All you so called experience must have been a dream !

Like I said, I DON'T.
Not sure what the cause for angst is, but Rule #1 when shifting a mid drive: let off on the 'pressure' (as in disengage the motor that wants to eat things). This is what gear sensors do: disengage the motor for a split second after detecting shift cable movement. I do it a different way, and there are others besides, but almost all methods are different paths to the same destination: Disengage the motor so the drivetrain is spinning gently.

I have gear sensors but I do a stutter-step because thats what became natural to me before I installed the first one. No pedaling whatsoever during the shift and it works great. Stop pedaling. Click. Start pedaling. Shift completes in about 1/5 of a chainring turn, before the motor can put power into the drivetrain. Takes about 1/2 of a second when have it down.

And of course a throttle blip will shift without any pedals being involved. If you know how to and have your motor and throttle set up so it slow-starts and throttle has a long throw this is a viable option.

Cut the crap ! What bicycle can shift without the chain moving? All you so called experience must have been a dream !
You said pressure. I said I often shift while spinning with no effort. not sure what you mean. but your getting all worked up I guess. Ya I guess so lets see my commuter I bought nov 23 2019 10,000 miles I am missing about 600 miles because of injuries. I average about 200 miles a week. best week 250 miles best month over 800 so how about you?
Screenshot 2021-07-01 at 3.15.24 PM.jpg
IMG_2949.jpg

I often shift while spinning with no effort
That must be black magic, to move the chain with no effort.
Effort is a measure of force. It requires force to move the chain no matter how good you are at black magic !

You chimed in trying to start an argument, NOW you want to see who can piss the farthest.
If you really have so much experience riding a bike, you should spend way more of that time on logical arguments ! I don't get involved in preschool arguments I leave that for preschoolers !
Oh and by the way, My daddy can beat up your daddy NA NA NA NA NA

That must be black magic, to move the chain with no effort.
Effort is a measure of force. It requires force to move the chain no matter how good you are at black magic !

You chimed in trying to start an argument, NOW you want to see who can piss the farthest.
If you really have so much experience riding a bike, you should spend way more of that time on logical arguments ! I don't get involved in preschool arguments I leave that for preschoolers !
Oh and by the way, My daddy can beat up your daddy NA NA NA NA NA
Dude I did not say no effort I said no pressure. pressure means you are peddling with effort. I said I shift under no load just spinning the peddles while coasting. when when I am putting pressure on the peddles I ease up when I shift thats the right way to shift. Your saying pressure so I can only assume under load.
so I have no clue what your trying to get at. if you shift under full load then your going to wear your drive train out much faster. on any bike thats a pretty well known thing. a bike will shift better if you ease up on the pressure when shifting. If you want to argue that then whatever. You have been calling me a liar over and over. So now show your miles and experience.

I have Shimano ACERA 8 speed gears on my rear hub Ebike which I guess fooferdoggie considers cheap components.
I'll be riding full blast click, click, click downshift to gear 5 while pedaling and it goes smooth as silk like auto gear 5.
No mashing, No grinding, fast as lightning. Same for any gear I want to be in.

If your putting out maybe 175 watts and shifting then your wearing out your components far faster. if your putting out 100 or so watts you would be fine. if your putting out 200 watts things are not going to be pretty. I cant imagine what it would be like when I a putting out 400 or so watts and shifting.

I have Shimano ACERA 8 speed gears on my rear hub Ebike which I guess fooferdoggie considers cheap components.
I'll be riding full blast click, click, click downshift to gear 5 while pedaling and it goes smooth as silk like auto gear 5.
No mashing, No grinding, fast as lightning. Same for any gear I want to be in.
I would guess he is the old coger in the his pic, babies don't like to argue, they just whine...then again.
Dude I did not say no effort I said no pressure. pressure means you are peddling with effort. I said I shift under no load just spinning the peddles while coasting. when when I am putting pressure on the peddles I ease up when I shift thats the right way to shift. Your saying pressure so I can only assume under load.
so I have no clue what your trying to get at. if you shift under full load then your going to wear your drive train out much faster. on any bike thats a pretty well known thing. a bike will shift better if you ease up on the pressure when shifting. If you want to argue that then whatever. You have been calling me a liar over and over. So now show your miles and experience.
You need to take your Ensure, your memory is failing, I even qouted the post of you saying "no effort"

I would guess he is the old coger in the his pic, babies don't like to argue, they just whine...then again.

You need to take your Ensure, your memory is failing, I even qouted the post of you saying "no effort"
man the insults are strong. well this old guy can ride the crap out of a bike post your miles . spinning with no resistance is pretty close to no effort. your argument is what words mean. I was saying you can shift with just the effort it takes to mvoe the peddles. you said it takes pressure. these are definitions. you did not say how much pressure your talking about. Then you start calling names and just going on and and on.

man the insults are strong. well this old guy can ride the crap out of a bike post your miles . spinning with no resistance is pretty close to no effort. your argument is what words mean. I was saying you can shift with just the effort it takes to mvoe the peddles. you said it takes pressure. these are definitions. you did not say how much pressure your talking about. Then you start calling names and just going on and and on.
As you were typing that attempt, where you looking in the mirror?
sorry your attempt to give a logical argument is UP, BUZZzzzz, better luck with someone else, you are now on ignore !

As you were typing that attempt, where you looking in the mirror?
sorry your attempt to give a logical argument is UP, BUZZzzzz, better luck with someone else, you are now on ignore !
dude whatever. wow igore I feel onored. you call me names then put me on ignore.

I commute on my e-bike. i want a throttle for this reason.

on 2 different occasions I have had an issue that would have left me and a mid-drive with no throttle stuck.

first was a broken chain. 8 miles from home, wife wasn't available, if not for the throttle I would have had to either walk or wait 4 hours for my wife to come and get me AFTER she got home, loaded the bike rack onto the SUV and came to find me. Instead I throttled the remaining distance to get home, blew my workout for the day, but I got home.

the second time was an accident 3 weeks ago where-in I mashed the crankarms and couldn't turn the crank. I was 4 miles from work, finished the ride via throttle and had my wife pick me up after work.

----

I don't mind a throttle-less mid drive for leisure and weekend riding, but for my 50 mile a day commute, no way.. I want a backup plan. I have no desire to be stuck somewhere without help or a way to get home.

on 2 different occasions I have had an issue that would have left me and a mid-drive with no throttle stuck.

first was a broken chain. 8 miles from home, wife wasn't available, if not for the throttle I would have had to either walk or wait 4 hours for my wife to come and get me AFTER she got home, loaded the bike rack onto the SUV and came to find me. Instead I throttled the remaining distance to get home, blew my workout for the day, but I got home.

the second time was an accident 3 weeks ago where-in I mashed the crankarms and couldn't turn the crank. I was 4 miles from work, finished the ride via throttle and had my wife pick me up after work.

----

I don't mind a throttle-less mid drive for leisure and weekend riding, but for my 50 mile a day commute, no way.. I want a backup plan. I have no desire to be stuck somewhere without help or a way to get home.
Any mid drive I've ever ridden or seen, if that chain lets go, you're walking, throttle or no. Now if we were talking a hub drive, the throttle would be pretty handy.

----

Refreshingly logical !

Who wins?
If the hill were steep enough, my vote would be for the mid drive - but only because of the available gearing advantage. Honestly though, I haven't found a hill that big! The MAC just sort of motors up about anything I've run across.

Any mid drive I've ever ridden or seen, if that chain lets go, you're walking, throttle or no. Now if we were talking a hub drive, the throttle would be pretty handy.
Yep and I have a hub, if that wasn’t obvious in my post.

Back