mid drives are not for everyone/throttles are fine

I see the same thing with cheap hub drive bikes. calling a 800 bike a fanatic bike. I see everyone promote what they think is best what brand they think is best.
Show me. ("calling a 800 bike a fanatic bike")

Too, I love reading different opinions. They're like belly buttons (everyone has one), which is fine. Where I draw the line is when one of these "opinions" is presented as a fact. See post # 85 and # 92 for recent examples.

Too, I love reading different opinions. They're like belly buttons (everyone has one), which is fine. Where I draw the line is when one of these "opinions" is presented as a fact. See post # 85 and # 92 for recent examples.
get on Facebook e bike groups .man I see it all the time even for Walmart bikes but for a rad too and all the other entry level bikes. they think they got the best bike I the world. maybe they did for them who knows? but I like to argue its fun.

Yeah, #85 and #92 are interesting posts for sure. As someone who has ridden both hub and mid-drives for several years and about 15k miles combined, I couldnt disagree more on pretty much every aspect of those posts. Reminds me of when I got a my first ebike (a nice bulls mid-drive). After a few years of riding both types, my opinions based on actual experience has changed.

Personally, it irks me when I see someone just using throttle, using throttle and then ghost pedaling as I approach, or just obvious ghost pedaling. But in the end, I ride strictly for exercise. Who am I to judge them (although I do)?

We finally managed to combine the two most controversial subjects into one post :cool:

Last edited:
get on Facebook e bike groups .man I see it all the time even for Walmart bikes but for a rad too and all the other entry level bikes. they think they got the best bike I the world. maybe they did for them who knows? but I like to argue its fun.
I had a guy sitting at a trailhead yell out to me "Rad Rovers Rule" as I passed by(he had a radrover). I was riding a DIY ebike that in no way is comparable to a radrover.

Just why is it that just about every thread that mentions a throttle turns into a mud slinging, name calling fist fight?

ENOUGH!

I understand why some groups dislike throttles but owning a throttled bike shouldn't make them the enemy. There are many who like them and many others who NEED them to ride safely. Both have their place.

It's very simple people! If you don't like throttles, buy a bike without one. If you want or need a throttle, get one. The choice is yours alone. There is absolutely no need for someone else to be critical of that choice!

Discussions are fine and expressing our points of view are encouraged but keep it civil! In the end, we all roll on two electrically assisted wheels and that is the basic premise of EBR!

Love my hub drive, throttle, sub $1k etc. Really glad I also have interests other than eBikes :)
I also think this is a pretty opinionated but mannered group, relative to other forums.
There is zero downside for getting more older folk outside doing something , on mid-drives, hub, with or without throttles.
Agree...but with a quibble; one downside is the higher probability of having an injury than when watching TV. Whether physical and mental health upsides balance or outweigh that, is up for investigation.
I'm firmly on the side of "It's what wanna do!"

Last edited:
Nope.
I always say I love having a throttle and wouldn't be without one on a heavy bike far from home.
Maybe you have different interpretative skills than I do.

You need to be more mature and stop taking things so personally.

This is an Electric bike forum not a state sponsored medical research forum where we’re discussing our findings on experimental medicine.

There are no facts here, just different point of views, opinions and experiences. I have never claimed anything was a fact on EBR, simply because it’s impossible when discussing something as subjective as e-bikes.

Anytime you have a different point of view with someone you resort to hyperbole, ad-hominem attacks and name calling. Seems that you have a new mouth-breathing cohort with scarlet/fire, very sad.

I suspect you are very immature, emotionally disabled and/or have a very low I.Q.

A good way to disagree is like post #107. Do you notice how he completely disagreed with me without using name calling adjectives like “insecure” or “fan boys” and with out fabricating what I said like you did by claiming I stated facts? Stop regurgitating the word “facts” you hear from politics all the time. This is an e-bike forum. Nobody has facts here. Only the prices of e-bikes can be stated as facts everything else is subjective.

I'm here trying to help buyers make informed decisions regarding their next bike. I generally stick to facts. If something I'm sharing is subjective, or opinion, I say so....
I can verify that AHicks took the initiative to help me with my bike.

I think I have never ever seen a moped rider pedaling. Hub bike riders, most often is see them pedaling.
As well, I see the moped riders all the time riding across crosswalks when people are crossing, doing illegal U-turns, and before covid, riding apparently drunk after bars close.
Hub dive is not much alike to moped in many ways.

It's becoming more clear we're here for entirely different purposes. I'm here trying to help buyers make informed decisions regarding their next bike. I generally stick to facts. If something I'm sharing is subjective, or opinion, I say so....

You appear to be here talking smack. To BS with other riders. There appears to be little concern if what you write causes somebody to make an expensive mistake?
Again you don’t have any facts when it comes to e-bikes and neither do I or anyone else.

We have different point of views and advice.

If my criticism of hub drives hurts your feelings maybe you should leave a public internet forum and retreat to a safe space or echo chamber.

People would be far more likely to make an expensive mistake by taking your advice by purchasing a hub drive from an online seller with no support, warranties etc.

You’re here clearly to cause trouble, disparage and censor any one or comment that doesn’t coincide with your point of views.

You don’t make the rules on EBR. Critical thought is encouraged on forums and is the whole point of them in the first place. You made the initial personal remarks against me instead of simply offering a contrasting opinion like post #107. I responded in kind to you based on your initial disparaging remarks against me.

There isn’t a rule on EBR that compels us to declare something we post is factual or not because it’s impossible. This is a forum about e-bikes and everyone has diverse point of view, opinions, experiences and expectations of products and components. And the rules allow us all to express them freely.

You do not speak facts with regard to e-bikes. Your opinions and point of views are not infallible and neither are mine or any one else’s on EBR.

Last edited:
Anyone that been around here for a few minutes knows @vincent the OP has owned more ebikes than probably any other member here. She has a lot to offer here and this current discussion has derailed the topic. My opinion is different after 7 years of ebiking and I tend to not offer suggestions of what others should buy. Usually there isn't enough information provided to have a clear suggestion.

Figure out what you like and ride it. No need to lead or follow.

I have not seen a mechanical cruise control device for a thumb throttle but that doesn't mean they don't exist. In my case, I swapped my thumb type for a half twist throttle. It was a cheap & easy project. I don't know if this is possible on your bike however. Once the twist throttle was installed, I bought this mechanical cruise control device which works perfectly:
View attachment 80661

Keep in mind, this is a mechanical device and isn't true cruise control since it doesn't compensate for changes in slope, wind or surface conditions. I use it mainly while on long 50+ mile rides to maintain speed while I take a rest from pedaling or to get some butt relief while standing on the pedals. This avoids time lost during rest stops.

I also use the throttle when trying to sync speed with other riders. I set the throttle to match and then apply whatever pedal effort I choose. This way, it's used as an infinitely adjustable PAS with me assisting the bike rather than it assisting me.

All this being said, I don't use the throttle that often. As you say, it's handy to have under certain conditions. It's also a form of insurance for me since I can always get back if I have a physical issue which keeps me from being able to pedal.

Love 'em or hate 'em, a throttle is simply a tool that, in my case, I wouldn't be without.
That makes perfect sense, I'd like to do something similar with a thumb throttle.

Anyone that been around here for a few minutes knows @vincent the OP has owned more ebikes than probably any other member here. She has a lot to offer here and this current discussion has derailed the topic. My opinion is different after 7 years of ebiking and I tend to not offer suggestions of what others should buy. Usually there isn't enough information provided to have a clear suggestion.

Figure out what you like and ride it. No need to lead or follow.
Amen........

Must be nice to have a crystal ball...I guess I better get ready to sell my bike with almost 4K on it- thanks for the guidance
I have almost 5400 km on my hub motor since Sept 2019 and I love it. I obey the traffic rules more than any cyclist I see. Watch for a couple of minutes and you can see infraction, infraction, infraction... never signaling, adults riding sidewalk (not legal here), riding across crosswalks, hardly ever stopping at stop signs, no lights at night, on and on and on.
Not my concern, but I'm certainly immune to the nonsense being spewed about hub bikes and the riders.

I have almost 5400 km on my hub motor since Sept 2019 and I love it. I obey the traffic rules more than any cyclist I see. Watch for a couple of minutes and you can see infraction, infraction, infraction... never signaling, adults riding sidewalk (not legal here), riding across crosswalks, hardly ever stopping at stop signs, no lights at night, on and on and on.
Not my concern, but I'm certainly immune to the nonsense being spewed about hub bikes and the riders.
To me, it is mostly an age thing. When you are young, and I think that I remember being so once a long time ago,
it is normal to be interested in the very latest products being offered. And, unquestionably, mid drives are the
latest technology being advertised. I am content to ride my hub drive and think that I very well may wear out
before it does.

Right! It’s crazy how many near misses I see, and usually both parties are oblivious!Stay safe and roll in good health- cheers

I can tell you one instance where a throttle is most useful. I have a GMAC rear hub motor and on my second ride, I was trying to get the PAS assist set up just right. I must have missed a step and didn't notice it at first, because I live at the top of a hill, but I didn't have any power assist with the pedal. Trying to pedal a 65+ lb E-bike is not one of my favorite past times, but I had a throttle. I was able to cruise home uphill and found the missing step. This weekend it's supposed to be warm enough to get out riding again.

Back